dry firing a model 8

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
ltrr1971

dry firing a model 8

Post by ltrr1971 »

Not sure about this. Can a model 8 be dry fired without damage?
Bandersnatch

Re: dry firing a model 8

Post by Bandersnatch »

Don't see why not.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

"Don`t see why not" might be correct but what purpose does it serve ? If you are trying to get a feel for the trigger and practicing holding the crosshairs of a scope or sights steady on a bullseye with attendant breath control maybe so.
Being an old target shooter with rimfire that was never an option because it was the surest way to beat up a chamber or break a firing pin. Perhaps, because of that background it makes me cringe when I hear someone "snapping" a firearm .
I had to put that aside when issued my first S&W revolver out of the box for duty carry . We were encouraged to dryfire them whenever possible to smooth the action,gain muscle memory for trigger feel and for some (gender inclusive) exercise and gain strength in the trigger finger.
With a rifle or shotgun from a safety aspect I still don`t like it. The proverbial "unloaded" weapon tends to go off at the most inoppertune time and they don`t do it without someone pulling the trigger. My departed brother was a"snapper" and found that "inoppertune" moment . A Model 25 Winchester 12 gauge pump was being cycled and dryfired by him. He had inspected it and assured himself it was empty prior to. After about a half dozen cycles and snaps the lone round of #8 birdshot was freed from where it was stuck in the magazine,was chambered and fired into the ceiling of the gunstore. I was at the far end of the counter and would have given a crisp hundred dollar bill to have gotten a picture of his face. I of course turned to the customer beside me and asked "Who is that nitwit?" and made an exit. Yes, it isn`t all about the guns it`s the memories too.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
ltrr1971

Post by ltrr1971 »

The question was asked due to wanting to take the pressure off of the action components after cleaning or just wanting to close the action for storage after handling. It's kind of hard keeping ones hands off of this gun. I keep seeing components including firing pins on other sites and wondered if the firing pin could be damaged.
jim18611865

Post by jim18611865 »

This was posted before, and I learned it here.
There is never a need to dry fire the Model 8/81.
Let the bolt go slowly forward, with your finger on the trigger.
The hammer will simply follow the bolt.

Jim
Roger

Post by Roger »

Good advice. I believe it will also work with the Auto 5 shotgun, which has the same type trigger system. Some more proof of JMB genius.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
h.charlie

Post by h.charlie »

Dry firing will fatigue the firing pin if you have a original I would never dry fire it, but if it's a replacement buy a extra and go for broke