Is 35 remington ammo always so hard to find?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
DNS

Is 35 remington ammo always so hard to find?

Post by DNS »

I have a new to me 81 and every place on the net is out of stock. Will they have some after hunting season?
Sarge756

Re: Is 35 remington ammo always so hard to find?

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome to the forum. Always hard to find ? No,if you count the time up to a couple years ago.Introduced over a hundred years ago along with the 25,30 and 32 Remington the 35 may be on the way to the obsolete category along with it`s brothers. I sure hope not but if you have read the posts here lately you have seen that even the reloading components(brass for 35) are also in short supply. I perhaps havn`t noticed the loaded ammo shortage as some have because I have been a reloader for many years and can`t remember when I bought a box of factory stuff at a retailer or online.
Seasonal runs of the less popular calibers has been the norm for some time but it appears that the 35 wasn`t included this year. Hunting season is in full swing most places so I don`t see truckloads of 35 ammo showing up in time this year. Heck ,most folks are having a hard time finding 22`s for their squirrel hunts. Supply and demand of course have driven the prices up. Listing on GB for 69 rounds of 35 is holding at $153 and $20 to ship for Hornady FTX. That`s about $2.25 a round and the auction has an hour to go !!
We can`t do anything about the .22 LR shortage cause no ones figured out how to reload them yet. Not so with the 35 and other centerfire calibers. No pun intended but if you plan to have an ample supply of ammunition for your 35 you need to "bite the bullet" and get in to reloading.
Look at it this way.....We know from past experience that if you own one "Springpole" it is only a matter of time until you add some more in different calibers. You might as well start putting some reloading supplies together and be prepared if you want them to go bang. If you are unfamiliar with the reloading process many here can offer you advice.All you gotta do is ask.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Roger

Re: Is 35 remington ammo always so hard to find?

Post by Roger »

Sir,I have to concur with sarge. However, I recently saw several boxes of remington factory ammo in 35 Rem. at a local retailer here in central Iowa. They are gone now,because I was just there again this last week. I'm really sorry that I didn't buy them all when I had a chance. I have been reloading all 5 model 8/81 calibers for many years,so I
didn't think much about. But then I have been reading online and here on the m-8 forum about the ammo shortage. I won't make that mistake again if I get another chance.
Sorry about the blunder,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com