30 Rem reloading questions

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Simmer down

30 Rem reloading questions

Post by Simmer down »

http://www.chuckhawks.com/30_Rem.htm

I found loading info on the above link and will crank some out but have a few question.

The 45th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Manual included data showing that the 150 grain Core-Lokt RN bullet (SD .226) could be driven to a MV of 2123 fps by 30.0 grains of IMR 3031 powder and a MV of 2364 fps by 33.0 grains of IMR 3031.

This is my first outing with the Model 8 and so I wonder how sensitive are they with loadings to get them to eject properly? Min? Max? Midway?

ADDED-
The link says the OAL is 2.525" and when I set it at this measurement it's pretty deep. Anyone have any other measurements?
I need to make a dummy round and match it to the gun I guess. That's too much like reading directions though. ;)
Sarge756

Re: 30 Rem reloading questions

Post by Sarge756 »

My 41st edition Lyman manual has the same info. Case length 2.03 Overall length with bullet 2.53. You probably noted that the load info and specs are identical to 30-30 Winchester that is listed with it. My experience with both the 30 Rem and 30-30 Winchester has been confined to loading with 170gr flatpoint jacketed sofpoints so have no comment about the 150`s. With the 170`s I trim the cases if necessary to proper length, load the bullet to the cannilure , crimp with a Lee factory crimp die and go shooting. No problems . The powder weights are consistent with most reloading manuals that give you a suggested starting load which is 30 grs of 3031 in this case. You should have no function issue with this starting load. Function with the Model 8 is not all that critical. You may want to experiment yourself and load a series of rounds reducing the starting load powder charge a grain at a time and take note when you reach the non function threshold. One of the advantages to reloading is that you can tailor make what shoots best in "your" rifle with the ultimate goal to obtain the most accurate load.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Simmer down

Post by Simmer down »

I just need to get at it. Thanks for the info.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Simmer,

Check these out ;)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3511
Phyrbird
SOKY
Simmer down

Post by Simmer down »

Phyrbird wrote:Simmer,

Check these out ;)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3511
I'll wait until I hear how they do before I make a batch.

I thought I would get to the range this week but maybe next week. It turns out I'm mostly talk and little action but that's not what I intend. :(
Simmer down

Post by Simmer down »

Got to the range and I'm impressed with the model 8. I loaded 150s with 31g of 3031 and it was as accurate as my eyes allow. I was using some spire soft points and when I seated them to 2.5" I think they were a little deep. I got some flat point 150gs. They will not be so deep in the case at the same OAL so I think I may notice a little tamer recoil. I assume they will still feed OK without the spire point.