Newbie questions from a NON model 8 or 81 owner

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
northstar

Newbie questions from a NON model 8 or 81 owner

Post by northstar »

From a collector/shooter stand point where should one start? Looking for good info on how to purchase a good quality 8 or 81 to shoot every now and then and just enjoy seeing. Willing to reload, is it hard too get brass for the .25 rem? Is there an advantage in the 8 or 81 mechanically or in reliability? my apologies for the newbie questions .
Sarge756

Re: Newbie questions from a NON model 8 or 81 owner

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome from N.Florida. No need for apology for questions. Glad you have an interest and feel sure it won`t be long before you join us in collecting these great guns and share with us your experience with them.
Where to begin? The more common calibers 35 for an 8 or 300Sav for an 81 would be a good place. Other than some cosmetic changes with the 81 the two rifles are virtually the same inside. I don`t think there are any reliability issues /advantage with either as long as it is an example that has been cared for properly. 25 Remington brass is very scarce with proper headstamp as is 32 Rem. Both can be resized from 30 Rem that while not plentiful is more available . I understand that Graf &Sons has 30 Rem brass from conversation with another member today.
Would suppose that there are members here that would assist you in getting started with your "First".
Good Luck, Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
northstar

Post by northstar »

Thank you Sarge,I really appreciate you taking the time to advise me. I will be looking to read all that I can as well, so if anyone can advise me on books or manuals I will look for them.
Kind regards Sir
81police

Post by 81police »

Purely from a collector's standpoint the Model 8 has been historically, and will probably continue to be, more collectible than the Model 81. The quintessential Model 8, as John Browning designed it, is one in 35Rem caliber. This works out good too because commercially loaded ammo is still available. But here on the forums all of us members have our personal preferences of what we like, and that diversity makes these forums so great too btw :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Simmer down

Post by Simmer down »

Sarge756 wrote: ... I understand that Graf &Sons has 30 Rem brass from conversation with another member today.
Would suppose that there are members here that would assist you in getting started with your "First".
Good Luck, Joe
Ends up I lied. I went to order from Graf and its now temporary unavailable. I ordered 100 pieces from Lohman Arms http://www.lohmanarms.com/default.asp
and I hope they are sending them. At least they took my money. :roll:
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Sarge756 advise is sound... on the other hand, start with what you find then the real fun begins as you fill in the rest for a full set... embrace the sickness. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine