32 Dies

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
jim18611865

32 Dies

Post by jim18611865 »

Assuming my .30 Remington cases come in from Buffalo Arms at the end of the month, I will need some dies.
I will be converting the .30 to .32. Since the .32 Win Spec. dies are readily available, and the .32 Remington are hard to find and 2X the price, would it be wise to get the .32 Win Spec. or should I go with the right dies? They even have 3 dies sets for the .32 Win Spec.
I will be loading on a Dillon 550.
I have never loaded a necked case before.(.45 ACP, .357 and .38-55) Anything I need to know?

Thanks

Jim
Phyrbird

Re: 32 Dies

Post by Phyrbird »

Jim,
a. the Dillon can expand the 30R to 32, I don't recommend it. A compound press with the ram centered under the die will give better results.
B. Be sure to lube the inside of the case mouth thoroughly. I use MotoMica or Imperial sizing die wax. Accordianed brass don't fit in the chamber very well. :oops: I avoid oil based lubes in the case mouth because it contaminates your powder. :cry:
c. Anneal the cases after expanding to 32. Set in a pan of water half way up the body, heat case with butane torch till they almost glow, tip over in the water. Or heat cases in a pure lead bath (750-800 deg) till your fingers get toasty, drop case in water. DO NOT GET WATER IN LEAD BATH it explodes and sprays molten lead in all directions. :twisted:
d. After changing the case mouth OD I like to outside neck turn to maximize accuracy. Don't use an inside reamer, they just make the mouth more out of round. 8-)
Do you begin to see why the Dillon might not be the easyest press for case forming? Check out the Lee single station press, It's strong enough, I've even used a Lee hand press watching TV to do this. :ugeek:
Phyrbird
SOKY
curdog

Post by curdog »

The shell dimensions are different between the two when it comes to FL resizing, just like the .25 and the 25-35 won't interchange.
norm

Post by norm »

Shoulder angle is not the same on 32 Remington vs 32 Special. 32 Special dies will work for neck sizing only and bullet seating. I fireform 30 Remington cases to 32 using a light charge of fast pistol powder and plug the case mouth with bullet lube. Definitely anneal cases after forming but there is no real need to neck turn unless the neck walls are to thick which is not likely. Check diameter of the neck of a loaded round which must be less than the diameter of the chamber. You need a good reference book with case dimensions. Donnely's is the most complete. I'm working out of state and right now I don't have it available or I could give you some numbers. PM me next weekend when I'm home if you need them.
jim18611865

Post by jim18611865 »

So I shouldn't have given away my Rock Chucker press?
I would likely try the water anneal method.
32 Remington dies are it then.
Glad I asked.

I think I will lube liberally, then clean before or after annealing in the tumbler?

What exactly is neck turning? Just length?

Is the lack of annealing likely why my current cases are cracking?

THANKS

Jim
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

jim18611865 wrote:So I shouldn't have given away my Rock Chucker press? Oh Yeah :!:
I would likely try the water anneal method. Safer
32 Remington dies are it then.
Glad I asked.

I think I will lube liberally, then clean before or after annealing in the tumbler? If you use MotoMica you don't have to clean, no problem

What exactly is neck turning? Just length? Try this Youtube: :geek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sbb-F_QiBI

Is the lack of annealing likely why my current cases are cracking? Yup :!:
They could crack if really old, early mercuric primers would make th brass very brittle. No fix for it.

THANKS

Jim
Phyrbird
SOKY