Manufacture Date of This Rifle??

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
whitten13

Manufacture Date of This Rifle??

Post by whitten13 »

I have had this Model 8 (I think) in the family and in my gun case for my entire 48 years and I can't seem to tell when it was made based on the markings and what grade it might be. It is chambered in 30 Rem. I have described below the only markings I can find on the underside in front of the trigger guard. Any info I can get would be greatly appreciated.

smaller font stamped "3606 3" with the last 3 offset a bit from the first four numbers

below that there is the letter N centered beneath the 0

below that in larger font is stamped "36063" all evenly spaced

below that is the letter K with a circle around it centered beneath the 0
Last edited by whitten13 on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
imfuncity

Re: Manufacture Date of This Rifle??

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome... and bout time she was taken out for some air. ;)

If she is a Model 8 (which seems likely from your description... pictures would help significantly) and the serial number is 36063, she is almost 100yrs old... made in 1915. Starting in 1921 (and with all the M81s) Remington stamped letters on the left side of barrel near the receiver. Also, later models had Model 8 or Model 81 on the left side of the receiver.

Grade...? Did I mention that pictures would help? :D

Enjoy her, bet she will still shoot.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
whitten13

Post by whitten13 »

Thanks, I was not sure if the 3 meant it had been repaired or not. She is old and has no Model 8 or 81 stamped on the side. Going to bring her to a gunsmith to clean up and remove a handmade recoil pad someone had glued to the stock, it looks like it is made from the same rubber material they make red pencil erasers out of, ugly.

I tried to attach a picture ealrier but failed, I will take a couple of more and try again later. Thanks! :D
whitten13

Post by whitten13 »

Here is a picture of the rifle I was talking about, sorry it took so long, more to come.
Attachments
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG (24.67 KiB) Viewed 4289 times