load data for 25 rem

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
h.charlie

load data for 25 rem

Post by h.charlie »

I was reading that its is possible to load the 25 rem using IMR 4350, Anyone ever shoot it, or have some load data for it. What I read http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... =5&t=4249n says to load 5gn above 3031 witch would be about 31gn sounds hi to me but I have not loaded anything for the 25 rem yet just my .270 witch is why I'm asking about the 4350 as I have have some left over from the last batch of 270, thoughts, comments, links all appreciated
Sarge756

Re: load data for 25 rem

Post by Sarge756 »

A very informative post you linked to. I`d take the man`s advice and stick with 3031. More efficient and you use less and don`t blow a bunch of unburned powder out the barrel. Save the 4350 for the 270.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Fred

Post by Fred »

While I have no .25Rem reloading experience, unless you have no other powders available, I too would suggest a smaller amount of faster-burning powder. Clean burning powder is more important for an autoloader than single or bolt-action rifles.

If you're determined to use H4350, then I'd use heavy-for-caliber projectiles and a magnum primer to get the pressures up earlier in the cycle for a cleaner, more complete burn. Single feed the cartridges as you work up the load and check for excessive unburnt powder, bore obstruction and other over-pressure signs until you get something that seems like it will work alright. If you get over-pressure signs along with incomplete burn and if you're familiar or comfortable with cast bullet loading techniques using fillers, you might be able to simulate a heavier projectile with use of fillers (BPI shot buffer, Dacron or Cream of Wheat etc.) Reduce powder, increase filler to keep the pressures up high enough for long enough to get a complete burn. I have no idea how the use of fillers may impact function in an autoloader though.

It's entirely possible that H4350 and similar slow powders will never work well in the .25Rem. If you have the time, tinker, otherwise it's generally easier to find the proper propellant for the application.

Good luck!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey fellas,
I've got quite a bit of 25 rem. reloading experience and have found that some of these older rifles,25 rem included, actually like slower burning powders. Namely winchester 760, which I now load all my 25 rem. Loads with. I only have 2 -model 8 s in 25 rem.,but they both shoot pretty well with hornady 117 gr. RN and win. 760. Just throwing in my 2 cents worth here.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
h.charlie

Post by h.charlie »

I broke down and bought imr 3130 and 4198 couldnt find any win powder, Does anyone know max case length for 25 remington
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

SAMMI data calls for 2.050 OAL for both it and the 30Rem. I wouldn't let it go more than .005 more than this standard.
Phyrbird
SOKY