Anyone hunt deer with the .25 Remington?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
In The Ten Ring

Anyone hunt deer with the .25 Remington?

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I am just curious how effective this round is. What was .25 Rem meant for anyway?
Hardrada55

Re: Anyone hunt deer with the .25 Remington?

Post by Hardrada55 »

My impression is that "back in the day" people were hunting game with calibers which we now would consider to be inadequate. Today, we expect to kill an animal with one shot, often from some kind of stand. The whole idea of the Model 8 was 4 or 5 fast shots. I have seen several references in the sales literature to the .35 Remington being appropriate for Alaskan Brown Bear and for being good for any big game on the North American continent. Would you go after a Brownie with a Model 8?

People used to hunt deer with a .25-20 or .32-20 and I believe those cartridges were advertised as combo varmint and deer cartridges. I understand it that the .25-35 WCF had quite a following, years ago, in the deer hunting crowd, especially for the smaller varieties. So, the .25 Remington, being a "clone" of the .25-35 WCF was seen as a deer cartridge and was marketed as such.

Small deer I don't see as problem with. I think today's expectation of a "one shot kill" does that cartridge in, if you are hunting any animal much bigger than a small deer. I know other people with more experience will have opinions and want to weigh in on this.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
81police

Post by 81police »

One Remington advertisement circa 1910 says ".25 Cal. Ideal for Coyotes". But like Hardrada55 mentioned, this caliber was frequently used to take larger game in the early - mid 1900's.

One Model 8 enthusiast Noel Cormack of Canada, has several pictures in our gallery section under "vintage pics" of several mule deer and moose killed with a 25 Remington (25-35Rem) from the early 1900's. Certainly the cartridge is capable, but no doubt the larger calibers of the Model 8/81 would be more powerful options (obviously).
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

"I am just curious how effective this round is. What was .25 Rem meant for anyway?"

Deer camps and the gathering of experts always seem to get around to discussion of the thuty-thuty and whether it is still the go to for deer. Have seen it written that more deer have been killed with it than any other round. If so it bears mention that our 25 Remington was' begat' as in the bible,by the thuty -thuty or 30WCF. When introduced in 1895 Winchester also introduced the 25WCF or 25-35 which was the 30-30 case necked down to 25 cal. This was a logical step to have a smaller lighter bullet go faster. That idea has produced many different cartridges and sold a bunch of new rifles. Note that the 30 and the 35 in these two rounds denotes the quantity of the smokeless powder loaded that was available at the time. Quick look at a modern reloading manual will find no reference to 35gr loads for the 25-35 Winchester or Remingtons version the 25 Rem. Packing 35grs.of modern smokeless in one might cause a memorable day at the range. We are fortunate that there has been a steady improvement with all the components especially bullets and powders. Less in this case does mean more. Max load for the 25-35 (25 Rem) would be around 25/29 grs of a medium burn rate powders behind a 117 gr bullet. Feet per second in the 2400/2500 range. With this loading the bottom end scale for other more popular 25`s would be reached such as the 250 Savage and 257 Roberts. Don`t think that anyone would limit those two to "small" deer and with the proper load IMO neither should the 25 Remington.
Shot placement and not exceeding realistic distance to target of course need to be considered . When I`m lucky enough to find a nice 8 In 25Rem I wouldn't hesitate to go after Bambi`s daddy with it.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

I have! I have shot two Texas Whitetails with a 1920's .25 Rem and It worked great but like any caliber shot placement is key......Happy shootin'

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
In The Ten Ring

These are great replies and I love this sort of information. There was a Model 8 in .25 Remington on gunbroker last week. It looked pretty good and sold for around $900.00. It didn't have the original buttplate, IIRC. I thought about going for it but I want to get Model 81's in .35 Remington and .300 Savage first since the pistol grip buttstocks look more comfortable and those calibers are still made. *I do not (yet) reload but it's about time I started. I plan to renovate my house pretty heavily this summer and a sturdy reloading bench is within my woodworking skill range.

I eventually plan to get a couple of Model 8's as well.....the .32 Remington sounds neat as does the .25. I love to be different and hunting with something from that time period is just a super neat idea.
In The Ten Ring

Hardrada55 wrote:My impression is that "back in the day" people were hunting game with calibers which we now would consider to be inadequate. Today, we expect to kill an animal with one shot, often from some kind of stand. The whole idea of the Model 8 was 4 or 5 fast shots. I have seen several references in the sales literature to the .35 Remington being appropriate for Alaskan Brown Bear and for being good for any big game on the North American continent. Would you go after a Brownie with a Model 8?

People used to hunt deer with a .25-20 or .32-20 and I believe those cartridges were advertised as combo varmint and deer cartridges. I understand it that the .25-35 WCF had quite a following, years ago, in the deer hunting crowd, especially for the smaller varieties. So, the .25 Remington, being a "clone" of the .25-35 WCF was seen as a deer cartridge and was marketed as such.

Small deer I don't see as problem with. I think today's expectation of a "one shot kill" does that cartridge in, if you are hunting any animal much bigger than a small deer. I know other people with more experience will have opinions and want to weigh in on this.
Would I go up against a grizzly with a Model 8? I have never owned one but in .35 Remington I would. If it was done in the past I'm sure it could be done now. In fact, I might start saving up for a guided hunt. I would probably go for axis deer or elk though. I'd like to be able to drive my 1972 truck down for the hunt. Yes I want to take my Model 8/81 (when I get one).
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I recall an article of a Wyoming or Colorado grizzly that was known to have killed multiple hunters, scores of dogs, and several trail horses. It was in American Rifleman or Guns & Ammo magazine. Eventually he was killed by a famous hunter after he lost all his dogs. The gent emptied his Winchester and a Colt. He was mauled but not killed before the bear died.
The bear autopsy proved he was carrying Pounds of Lead in his body. Including 3 or more bullets in the brain pan.

I hesitate to hunt game that can have ME for lunch, without a heavy caliber rifle and handgun. Plus a capable backup hunter.
Game is wild and will defend itself. Safety is for hunting as well as shooting.

I support use of our Ladies for hunting and target practice, I also encourage safety. Large bears and feral boars are not to be trifled with.
Phyrbird
SOKY
In The Ten Ring

Really now? You've just tickled my "challenge accepted" button!

If and when I have the chance to hunt grizzly I will endeavor to do so with a Model 8 or 81 in .35 Remington. If successful, news will be posted here. I will send you the bear rug. 8-)

Now...off to buy a lottery ticket so that I will have the necessary funds for such a trip!
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I'll take you up on the rug :lol:
Ya know hitting the lottery isn't a bad idea, we all need a little fun money. (not funny money) :roll:
Phyrbird
SOKY
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I wouldn't have a second thought about taking my model 8 in 25 REM out for a deer hunt. People deer hunt with the 223 and I have bagged two deer with the tiny 25-20. And I know of people that have killed deer with 22lr. As said before, shot placement is important. A 50 Cal BMG won't kill a deer if it hits in the leg below the knee.

ROB
oyfire45

Post by oyfire45 »

Take a look at the vintage pic.
Hairtrigger

Post by Hairtrigger »

ROBOPUMP wrote:I wouldn't have a second thought about taking my model 8 in 25 REM out for a deer hunt. People deer hunt with the 223 and I have bagged two deer with the tiny 25-20. And I know of people that have killed deer with 22lr. As said before, shot placement is important. A 50 Cal BMG won't kill a deer if it hits in the leg below the knee.

ROB

Well said
curdog

Post by curdog »

I shot a nice doe with my .25 two days ago. Snap shot at 50 yards, right through the shoulder, double lung hit, exiting on the far side. She ran 50 yards, and fell over dead, just what you would expect.

The great thing about the .25 is the lack of meat damage with the relatively slow moving bullet. With proper bullet placement, I believe the .25 is a reliable killer on deer. Just don't expect a spectacular pile up.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

As to wild boar, feral hogs, pigs or what-have-you, the .223 is just fine. I've managed to kill a couple of porkers DRT with that little round, so I say "pshaw". Any of the Remington stable of calibers in the 8/81 family ought to do just fine for pigs or deer, for that matter. For grizzly, I think I might stick with either the .35 or the .300 Savage.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.