Model 81 Barrel Assembly Question

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Fred

Model 81 Barrel Assembly Question

Post by Fred »

Anyone know exactly how the "Barrel Jacket Plug" (#31) is installed? Brazed? Pressed? Pinned/welded? Doesn't it have to be moved if someone shortens the barrel for a "carbine?"

I'd also like to know if it's easy to unthread the barrel jacket head (#30) from the sleeve.

Thank you.

Wildgoose

Re: Model 81 Barrel Assembly Question

Post by Wildgoose »

The jacket head is held in place after being threaded on to the sleeve by a small pin. This pin can be hard to see on the outside of the jacket head but its there. The pin must be driven out with a punch after removing the barrel from the jacket. If you do take it down you may want to use a slightly larger piece of roll pin to replace it on reassembly. Unless of course it retains its fit when reinserted. This pin indexes the barrel and acts as an anti-rotation device to keep it fixed in the jacket head. As for the jacket plug it appears that its held in place with a small screw (#32) from the underside of the jacket. I don't know this for a fact and its a guess on my part as I have never removed this item from the jacket on any of my rifles.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

That roll pin is a bee-yotch - at least in my ONE time working on my project Model 8.

I had that thing in a solid table vise, had the propane heating it up red hot (well, almost red hot) and the pin barely budged.

Not ready to admit failure, the drill ended up in effect.

OK so you do what you must to remove the jacket tube from the jacket head...... :mrgreen:

Adam

ps....my 16" project will resume this summer...I hope....
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thank you Wildgoose, I dug a little deeper and this came 'round:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2055&p=6542

Funny thing though is that I cannot see any indication or feel any difference where a pin might exist in that location, not even on the inside. I assume they installed the pin then did the machining ops afterward.

Adam, Were you going to make a 16" carbine version by pulling the jacket from the head and shortening it from that end insteading of cutting it off the muzzle?
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Fred wrote:Adam, Were you going to make a 16" carbine version by pulling the jacket from the head and shortening it from that end insteading of cutting it off the muzzle?
yep!

that's the only way to go.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Well I hope it's not the only way. I've got something in the works ;)

However, first priority is to get this thing working with some cast bullets, then I'll see if I can fill out a freezer with pork! My Model 81's the 4th rifle in the queue for some "upgrades."