What caliber is best for reloading?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
In The Ten Ring

What caliber is best for reloading?

Post by In The Ten Ring »

What is best to reload? I assume I may need to resize an existing (and more common) case.

.30 Remington

.300 Savage

.32 Remington

I am totally new to all of this but I really like this rifle and I realize reloading is to be expected here, especially in the "ammo shortage."
Phyrbird

Re: What caliber is best for reloading?

Post by Phyrbird »

If I were you I'd aim for 35 Rem or 300 Sav. You can find 35 Rem fairly easy, same for 300Sav. Both are still in production, plus 300 Savage can be made by sizing a 308 in the 300 Savage sizer die.
I've bought both new in the last year if it helps.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Phyrbird wrote:If I were you I'd aim for 35 Rem or 300 Sav. You can find 35 Rem fairly easy, same for 300Sav. Both are still in production, plus 300 Savage can be made by sizing a 308 in the 300 Savage sizer die.
I've bought both new in the last year if it helps.
I totally agree. 35 Rem or 300 Savage.
norm

Post by norm »

Ten Ring, 35 or 300 Savage is the easiest to start with. Brass and dies are more or less available off the shelf. And load data is also available. 30 and 32 is a little more challenging. You can neck size 30 and 32 with 30-30 and 32 Winchester Special dies. Full length sizing dies for the 30 and 32 are higher priced but are available from most of the equipment makers. I've got both Redding and RCBS and am well satisfied with either brand. Load data for the 30 and 32 is scarce so use 30-30 or 32 Special data with caution. 30-30 and 32 Special component bullets work for the 30 and 32. Remember in reloading caution is a virtue, Norm
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

That's what I was assuming, .35 Remington and .300 Savage are the way for a beginner to go.

Is Lee a good maker? Is Lee stuff available?

I might try to go and make .300 Savage from 30-06 cases due to the ammo shortage right now.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

If you're getting started Lee equipment is often the most cost effective. I have a lot of their dies, priming tools, & have owned a lot of their presses. I suggest a turret press to start, it allows you to set the dies then LEAVE them ALONE. I like the Forster case trimmer and outside neck turner, Imperial sizing die wax, and Herters dies when I can find them. I really like the new electronic scales by MTM and Hornady, they are accurate and fast. Dies for 32 & 25 Remington can only be found from Redding and Hornady for now, but they Are Hard to find at a reasonable price.
After you get started you will find a solid "O" station press like CH, RCBS, Hornady is needed for heavy work like forming cases or swaging. I REALLY like the Dillon 550 or 650 progressive presses, plus their warranty is lifetime. When you get into the 25-30-32 Rem cartridges brass is scarce. They often have to be formed from 30 Rem when you can find it. This can lead to errors if a case marked 30 Rem resized to 32 Rem is put in the wrong rifle, if you are real lucky it won't chamber. If not it will get explosive.

I've been blessed not to have "failures" with reloads. Precision and caution are required, don't take shortcuts.
Phyrbird
SOKY
VTRem35

Post by VTRem35 »

I've been searching high and low online for bullets in .35 Rem, Remington 200gr RN can't be found though I did see some Speer 180gr in one place, however I couldn't find any Remington 9 1/2 rifle/ or heavy rifle primers of any brand anywhere.
I'm considering getting into casting and think I'll use the Lyman 204gr .358 mold and just add 3%-5% by weight pewter (tin) to my lead.