Stamped'up Model 8

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
81police

Stamped'up Model 8

Post by 81police »

This rifle has lurked around for years with many theories about it's authenticity and history. Jack1653 asked me to post what I know about it and see if anyone else had ever seen or heard of it. The serial number is 123XX, mfg in 1908.

Back in 2010, when I was able to acquire some decent photographs of the rifle, I contacted author and U.S. military arms expert, Bruce N. Canfield. Here is his response...

Hi Cameron,
There are a lot of "problems" with that rifle. For starters, Col. Frank J. Atwood was the head of Remington's Ordnance District, not Col. Guy H. Drewry. Secondly, Col. Drewry served in that capacity from circa 1942 to 1945. He wouldn't have had any inspection authority for a civilian firearm made almost four decades earlier. Likewise, none of the markings on the metal correspond with original U.S. military markings. I could go on, but you probably get the picture. It appears somebody got carried away with some stamping dies!

Hope this helps,
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_2835-1.JPG
DSC_2835-1.JPG (82.82 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
DSC_2838.JPG
DSC_2838.JPG (270.29 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
DSC_2841 copy.jpg
DSC_2841 copy.jpg (858.6 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
sighthound

Re: Stamped'up Model 8

Post by sighthound »

Have to agree someone had access to stamping dies and went on a binge, I recalling seeing these dies for sale at gun shows years ago and of course a good tool and die maker could duplicate them and likely have as well as for Remington, Winchester, Savage, Colt, etc. There is probably a legitimate reason and use for restoration purposes, however, caveat emptor, beware. Jerry
jack1653

Re: Stamped'up Model 8

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I want to thank 81police for posting the pictures for me. Some of you may have heard of this rifle and the confusion about the stampings. I wanted to post it to see if there are any insights about the rifle. The rifle came to me via a collection and was not sought out because of its markings. It was included in an all or none deal so I didm't pay a premium for it.

I talked with pack mule about the rifle and he recalled doing some research over a years period of time. packmule was kind enough to send me his comments and I include them for your review. This is packmules's response: "OK my total knowledge of this is the inspector stamp in the wood doesn't age to the time period, there where two US inspector's that were father and son I believe, one was around in the 1890's the other in the 40's so that never added up. This rifle still boggles my brain I would love to know what the heck it is and why its was marked with so many US marks , My only theory and it would be a rifle used for some sort of test gun for something related or for the military by a private company. That's the limit of what I know about it I know that don't help much...........thanks RJ."

The previous owner purchased the rifle in October of 2003 through Auction Arms and was being offered by Gallery Distributing from Reading, PA.

I look forward to the comments and thanks for the opportunity to present another oddity in my collection.

Regards,

jack1653