Model 8 Government trials model?? Could one be for sale??

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
jamo002

Model 8 Government trials model?? Could one be for sale??

Post by jamo002 »

I'm a lifelong collector with well over a hundred rifles and handguns, most of which predate my own birth in 1948, but I don't have, or know much about the model 8. I'm writing for information because my college roommate recently ran into a guy in Chicago who claims to have a Military trials Model 8, and would consider selling it. I spoke with the owner on the phone yesterday and he seemed to have the description of the rifle correct I think he said there were 24 made and I'm seeing 25 on the internet so that's consistent. He called the chambering .25 Remington which I see can also be called a .25-30. I didn't ask if it had a Lyman peep sight. The owner sounded really knowledgeable about model 8's but he never heard of "Fjestad's Blue Book". That seemed odd to me. No, I'm not going to purchase this rifle sight unseen!!! I didn't discuss the condition simply because I was wondering if this fellow was just blowing smoke about having an actual Gvt. trials rifle.
jack1653

Re: Model 8 Government trials model?? Could one be for sale?

Post by jack1653 »

jamo002 wrote:I'm a lifelong collector with well over a hundred rifles and handguns, most of which predate my own birth in 1948, but I don't have, or know much about the model 8. I'm writing for information because my college roommate recently ran into a guy in Chicago who claims to have a Military trials Model 8, and would consider selling it. I spoke with the owner on the phone yesterday and he seemed to have the description of the rifle correct I think he said there were 24 made and I'm seeing 25 on the internet so that's consistent. He called the chambering .25 Remington which I see can also be called a .25-30. I didn't ask if it had a Lyman peep sight. The owner sounded really knowledgeable about model 8's but he never heard of "Fjestad's Blue Book". That seemed odd to me. No, I'm not going to purchase this rifle sight unseen!!! I didn't discuss the condition simply because I was wondering if this fellow was just blowing smoke about having an actual Gvt. trials rifle.

Hey jamo002,

Every once in a while one of these rifles will show up. If you want to see some pictures of what one is suppose to look like, check this link. http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=121. The one listed under Ahlberg Collection is mine.

To the best of my knowledge there was no .25-.30 from Remington for the Model 8. There was a .25-.35 and that designation is stamped on the barrel. Anything else should be questioned and would not be original to the rifle. If I can be of further service, you can send me a PM.

Regards,

jack1653
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

There was one that sold on GunBroker to Moohoo in July of 2011. Ask the seller if he is moohoo on GunBroker. Anyway, it sold for $12,500.00. Yes, that is $12,500.00. I am quite sure the seller had no idea what he had, because he started the auction at $299.99 and described the rifle just like it was any ole model 8. He did point out that it was chambered in 25 Rem and that the rear sight had been removed and a peep sight installed. He claimed the bore was excellent, wood very good and action very tight. There were some great pictures that confirmed it to be a genuine trials rifle in excellent condition. I didn't miss out on this one. I just couldn't afford it. I did copy the entire auction and stuck it in Henwoods book at page 116.

Good luck with the deal.

ROB
jamo002

Post by jamo002 »

Wow, great information Jack and what a beautiful rifle you have! I'm emailing some of your photo's to my buddy in Chicago.

Rob, maybe I should start looking at gunbroker more often, LOL! I usually get tired of seeing dealer auctions that start at or above retail prices! Years ago I bought a couple of guns there using my C&R license. One I recall was a US NAVY stamped S&W Victory model .38 revolver, in excellent condition, for $650. I haven't seen any good deals for a while but then I rarely look at Gunbroker.

Bob
81police

Post by 81police »

Hey jamo002,

Should you happen upon photographs of this Trails Rifle, and would like some knowledgeable advice/opinions feel free to post them here. There are several members here well versed on authentic Model 8 Trials Rifles. Reproductions can be made but comparing the serial number, amongst other things, is paramount. Good luck on it!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

"One I recall was a US NAVY stamped S&W Victory model .38 revolver, in excellent condition, for $650"

That's a very good price for a Victory that is Navy-marked and is authentic, assuming it's not badly beat up. Serial numbers run from about 980000 up to about V 265000, with about 70,000 made (there are differences of opinion as to the exact number). There were later Victories which went to the Navy which were not marked U. S. NAVY, and they are indistinguishable from those which went to the Army. The most desirable Navy Victories have a second Navy-property engraving on the left side of the frame.

If you don't mind, I'd like to know the approximate SN for my list (e.g., V 1742xx). You can PM me.