8/81 rifles with double-claw M1907-style slings

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Adam Lee

8/81 rifles with double-claw M1907-style slings

Post by Adam Lee »

I'd like to see some pictures and hear some feedback of any of yalls Model 8's and 81's with slings, specifically the military-style double-claw leather M1907 type slings.
For my project 8, I'm planning on obtaining sling swivels and a correct barrel jacket swivel screw and will be using one of the old-style M1907 slings. I love these slings, these were used on many of our favorite US military rifles and shotguns. 1903's, 1917's, M1's, and all the 1918-1945 era military shotties could have used them.

I located a nicely worn old civilian copy of this style sling last weekend at the gun show. Now, I'm on the trek locating sling swivels and such for my Model 8, Savage 720, and Stevens 520. Boy, this beats the daylights out of working at school!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Re: 8/81 rifles with double-claw M1907-style slings

Post by Adam Lee »

Yeah, I know - sad to see someone answering their own post!!! :lol:

Alright, so I have been busy with the "honey-do" lists, and also taking care of home stuff while my wife has been doing coursework at GMU. But I did get some good work done, gun-wise. Ended up going to Dick's and buying a basic set of Uncle Mike's quick-release sling swivels and bases. One was the custom swivel set-up for shotgun mag tube end caps, which I installed on my 30's era Savage 720. The other was a fine-thread screw mount that I trimmed to best fit the Model 8 barrel jacket.

Hope the pics are OK - both the guns are just "mocked-up" for purposes of display at the moment. The worn old sling fits well, but I'll be shopping for some repro 1907's.
Adam

the Model 8 stock, bottom of the photo, was easy to add the sling swivel screw - I just replaced the bottom butt screw with the Uncle Mike's setup!
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
imfuncity

Re: 8/81 rifles with double-claw M1907-style slings

Post by imfuncity »

Look'n good.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine