Factory assembly of Barrel jackets

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Phyrbird

Factory assembly of Barrel jackets

Post by Phyrbird »

Guys & gals,
I need some info. How were the rear sight mount block attached to the inside of the barrel jacket?
How was the forearm "nut" attached to the barrel jacket? (at the factory)

I've one jacket the rear sight block comes out. And another jacket that may have a factory repair that would have require swapping the fore-end "nut". From what I can tell the fore-end boss / Nut must be brazed in place. I'm guessing the rear sight was a press fit in the jacket.
Any knowledge shared will be appreciated.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Re: Factory assembly of Barrel jackets

Post by Adam Lee »

Phyrbird wrote:Guys & gals,
I need some info. How were the rear sight mount block attached to the inside of the barrel jacket?
How was the forearm "nut" attached to the barrel jacket? (at the factory)

I've one jacket the rear sight block comes out. And another jacket that may have a factory repair that would have require swapping the fore-end "nut". From what I can tell the fore-end boss / Nut must be brazed in place. I'm guessing the rear sight was a press fit in the jacket.
Any knowledge shared will be appreciated.
Carl,

looking at my example right now, since it is in process of refinishing. This one is a 30's jacket with the sling swivel threaded screw hole as well.
I see two blind rivets with their tell-tale rounded/mushroomed heads inside the jacket that are holding the forearm attachment screw "hardpoint" to the jacket. Perhaps the "hardpoint" (my cheesy nomenclature for the forearm boss) was soldered on first, then riveted. My guess is yours is the same. I think it wouldn't be hard to drill out the rivets. However, I have to think a bit harder in terms of reversing the process - which I may be doing at some point.

Looks like the sight "block" above the forearm boss does appear to be pressed-in, maybe it was also soldered first.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

To answer my own question, per a friend of Mr Henwood.
The barrel hardpoint for the forearm is soldered, The threaded rear sight bar is a press fit in the jacket. ;) These operations with correct blueing would be Very difficult to complete outside the factory. Hope this helps other members in need.
The same source noted that the screw hole in front of the fore-end is only for lubrication of the spring mechanism inside the barrel jacket. Quote "The jacket is way too thin to support a sling at this point. The mount point for slings is the fore-arm wood." I know this breaks with some accepted knowledge, I'm trying to pass on expertise I have recognized to others on the site. In addition, there are original Model 8s with the screw plug in the jacket in front of the fore-arm.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Phyrbird wrote:To answer my own question, per a friend of Mr Henwood.
The barrel hardpoint for the forearm is soldered, The threaded rear sight bar is a press fit in the jacket. ;) These operations with correct blueing would be Very difficult to complete outside the factory. Hope this helps other members in need.
The same source noted that the screw hole in front of the fore-end is only for lubrication of the spring mechanism inside the barrel jacket. Quote "The jacket is way too thin to support a sling at this point. The mount point for slings is the fore-arm wood." I know this breaks with some accepted knowledge, I'm trying to pass on expertise I have recognized to others on the site. In addition, there are original Model 8s with the screw plug in the jacket in front of the fore-arm.
Carl,

I believe that you may wish to double-check on the screw hole that is in the barrel jacket. That didn't appear in the first years of the Model 8. In fact, one reason I was glad that Roger had replaced the barrel jacket on the Model 8 I acquired from him was the fact that it was a later model WITH the threaded hole. I politely disagree with your source, only because all the research and reading I've done makes no reference whatsoever to that being anything other than a hardpoint for a sling swivel. The screw plug exists for those who do not wish to add a sling swivel.

Don't take my comment the wrong way, Carl - I will be the first to apologize if I am wrong in my understanding - however, there is nothing for the screw hole to lubricate, anyway. Also, it is suggested frequently that the fore-arm attachment screw should never be used as a sling mount, but again, if I am wrong on that I apologize.

I am sure others with more experience (and Remington Model 8/81 collections) will chime in with their thoughts.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

the screw hole in front of the fore-end is only for lubrication of the spring mechanism inside the barrel jacket. Quote "The jacket is way too thin to support a sling at this point. The mount point for slings is the fore-arm wood.
Great question to ask guys. This little screw has been the subject of much confusion in years past!

I would agree with Adam on this (so would have John Henwood) regarding the above comments. The small screw hole in (late production) Model 8 and 81 barrel jackets is the sling attachment point. This is the same location in which the factory at Fabrique Nationale installed the sling swivels on their Modele 1900 autoloaders. The point in which this hole is located is actually the thickest part of the barrel jacket, known as the "barrel-jacket reinforcement". This reinforcement also serves as a plug (inside the jacket) where the buffer spring rests against. Further evidence supporting this is the factory itself. Whenever a customer ordered factory installed sling swivel eyelets, Remington installed the front eyelet in this screw hole (the one in the barrel jacket). The factory didn't install sling eyelets in the forearm. Also, you won't find any factory manual or service guide that refers to this hole as a lubrication point.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator