any info would be great

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Brian841

any info would be great

Post by Brian841 »

This seems to be the place for answers. Anything that anyone can tell me about this gun would be very helpful. It's a .35. I believe I have a production month and year, but am not sure. What I believe to be the serial number is 30XXX. Also if I take it to a gunsmith to clean it up some, is that the best idea? I would like it to stay as original as it is now and can be. Gun fires great with good grouping, so I don't want to screw any of that up. Any info at all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
use1.jpg
use1.jpg (74.95 KiB) Viewed 7469 times
use2.jpg
use2.jpg (88.39 KiB) Viewed 7469 times
use3.jpg
use3.jpg (101.34 KiB) Viewed 7469 times
Roger

Re: any info would be great

Post by Roger »

Your rifle is an excellent example of a mid -production remington model 8. It does have a factory repair code on the barrel jacket,but doesn't look re-blued to me. I would never take that rifle to any person who isn't well versed in m-8/81 repair,because it doesn't look like it needs much.There are good videos for maintenance on this website. If you aren't mechanically inclined, then you may want to enlist the help of one of our helpful members,to offer you advice. Once again, if you fired it and it functions well,then you may just want to leave it alone. Email me at the address below if you want any more free advice.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Roger is right on. Few gunsmith know what they are and fewer still know how to take them apart. If it goes bang that's all there is- if it ain't broke don't fix it or it soon will be. (Unless of course, you are like our Adam Lee, and have to take everything off including the bluing just to see how it was made. :roll: )

Just enjoy it.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

Brian841 we're glad you found our little website. In addition to the great advice & info from Roger & Imfuncity (when does Mitch ever give bad advice I mean really?!), depending on the last 3 digits of your serial number the rifle was mfg. either in 1912 or 1913. The stamped code "EA3" means the rifle left the factory after repairs in October, 1932.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

That`s a dandy looking rifle, my 8 is still alluding me but someday. :)
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Brian, you've a nice Model 8 my friend!

I can't add anything that hasn't already been well said as far as advice goes. Totally avoid any random gunsmith to handle your Remington - my recent induction into the Model 8 pack here indicates that you've joined the best place on the web for help and guidance with your gun. Look to the excellent companion website to this forum, which I'm sure you already have, for tons of helpful info. http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/

Unless you are extremely gun shy - by that, I mean, shy of taking your gun into your own hands, and taking it apart - I find that these rifles are very user-friendly to field strip to clean and repair.

By no means does one have to take any gun down to the nitty-gritty like I tend to do.

I blame it on my early experience with too many Tinker-Toys, Lincoln Logs, and plastic models.

Great gun - great appearance - enjoy!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Brian841

Post by Brian841 »

I figured this was the place to be for info and people with knowledge. Thank you all for the great info. While browsing this site I'm convinced this is the place to be for anything I might need with this gun. Thanks again all.

Brian
Big Dooley

Post by Big Dooley »

Hello Brian841, I agree, if it shoots fine, leave it alone. When I got mine it had a slam fire issue and two different gunsmiths looked at it and neither fixed the problem. The second one chose not to even take a look at it since the first guy worked on it for liability reasons. I researched the rifle on this forum and bought a book on disassembly and my brother (a great machinist) and I fixed it at home. It wasn't bad to repair once we narrowed down the symptoms but both of us work on mechanical items all the time including guns. If you do ever develop an issue, the great folks on this forum will do their best to get you going again. I am glad mine is up and running and I am hunting with it. I love old rifles and this one is my favorite! Happy shooting, Big Dooley.
[b]Big Dooley[/b]