Ejection problem with Griffin & Howe scope mount

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Stealth

Ejection problem with Griffin & Howe scope mount

Post by Stealth »

I just received my first Model 81 in 300 Savage, manufactured in 1946, as a gift from a friend. I've been admiring them in gun racks for the last several years but couldn't bring myself to pay the asking prices.

My Woodsmaster came with a Weaver K3 scope in a detachable Griffin & Howe mount. The mount places the scope relatively low over the ejection port and slightly right of center. When I took it out for its first range session, I found that the brass ejects straight up into the underside of the scope, then rebounds straight down into the action. The spent brass ends up back in the action and jams the bolt. When I remove the scope and shoot with open sights, the brass ejects normally.

It certainly appears that the scope has been with the rifle for many years. Am I missing something? I can't believe the previous owner used the rifle as a single shot.

Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received!

Thanks

Stealth
81police

Re: Ejection problem with Griffin & Howe scope mount

Post by 81police »

Does the brass hit the scope tube or windage/elevation knobs? If it's the knobs and you have a standard crossair (not Tpost of course) you can cant the scope 90 degrees to get the knobs out of the way...that's very common with side mount 8/81's. If you have the time show us some pictures so we can get an idea of what this looks like.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator