Disassembly of the barrel on a Model 8

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
gramps35

Disassembly of the barrel on a Model 8

Post by gramps35 »

I'm wondering just how involved disassembling the barrel is? I know it needs a special spanner wrench, other than that is there anything I need to know. Will the barrel fly out due to the spring pressure? I have the owners manual, so I know what parts go where on reassembly, other than that is it tough to reassemble?

Do I need any special tools other than the wrench?

I just want to give her a through cleaning and lube and that is the only part I haven't got to other than dripping a little RemOil down the jacket.
gramps35

Re: Disassembly of the barrel on a Model 8

Post by gramps35 »

Well I figured it out.

All I did was wrap some duct tape around the jaws of some regular old pliers and cranked on the barrel nut. Once it started clicking I knew I had it loosened.

I was expecting the barrel to shoot across the room, but it didn't.

Anyhow, I took it apart and cleaned the outside of the barrel with some 000 steel wool and greased it with Tetra gun grease. A lot of Simple Green and scrubbing got the funk out of the jacket. Once that was good, I poured boiling water through it to get rid of left over SG and any loose gunk. I let it dry out and sprayed enough CLP down it to coat the inside entirely then ran a towel through it to get rid of the excess lube and put her back together.

She had a slight gritty feel to her when I would move the barrel back and forth manually, now it is smooth as silk.