Old Ranger photo.

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Pitchy

Old Ranger photo.

Post by Pitchy »

Can ya tell what rifle he`s carrying?

A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
jack1653

Re: Old Ranger photo.

Post by jack1653 »

My guess it is a model 8 with a tang peep sight. Can't tell if the sight is Lyman or Marbels.

jack1653
Roger

Post by Roger »

The rifle has a whelenfluted comb on the stock, which to my recollection has never been on a Rem.8. My best guess would be it's a Win 1894 carbine with the. Fluted shotgun buttstock with a widows peak hard rubber buttplate.The one with the winchester logo inside a circle. Either way it does appear to have a tang peep sight. If I new the year of the photo I might be able to give a more accurate guess.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

The photo was posted on another board i hang out on and no one knows for sure what the gun is.
Most say a Rem 8 as the Rangers carried that gun alot.
Notice the hump right by the sight and how far forward the sight is on the wrist, which is long not like a 88 .
I`ve seen lots of pictures of 8`s with the fluted stock and curved butt plate so my guess would be it`s an 8.
The photo is from the 1920`s.

Here`s a couple pictures of 8`s i found on the web like it.

USAF-72-76
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Hey, I love this picture regardles of what the rifle might be. This old Ranger is all decked out in his finery, chaps, stirrups, bridle, scabard, holster, lariat, saddle and thongs all look new. One proud old Ranger in my view and rightly so. Gone but not forgotten. RIP old timer.
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

sighthound wrote:Hey, I love this picture regardles of what the rifle might be. This old Ranger is all decked out in his finery, chaps, stirrups, bridle, scabard, holster, lariat, saddle and thongs all look new. One proud old Ranger in my view and rightly so. Gone but not forgotten. RIP old timer.
Yep class all the way, hard to see but his spurs are bottle opener spurs.
Colt SAA as his sidearm. 8-)
The spurs would look like these, this picture was from the guy that posted about the ranger on another board.
He is a collector of ranger stuff.

USAF-72-76
Roger

Post by Roger »

Pitchy I may have been partially asleep last nite when I looked at your picture. Today I can clearly see the back of the receiver where the peep sight meets it, and it does look like. A m-8. However until I saw the deluxe model pic that you posted, I truly hadn't ever seen a m-8 with a fluted comb. All the m-81 s that I own @ have seen have it. That's why i'm on this forum daily,so I can learn more about these great pieces of american history.
So does anyone here know which grades may have had fluted combs? Cam,i'm hoping you know the answer to this one. I looked in Henwood's book and couldn't find any with fluted stock combs.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Roger

Post by Roger »

Pitchy I may have been partially asleep last nite when I looked at your picture. Today I can clearly see the back of the receiver where the peep sight meets it, and it does look like. A m-8. However until I saw the deluxe model pic that you posted, I truly hadn't ever seen a m-8 with a fluted comb. All the m-81 s that I own @ have seen have it. That's why i'm on this forum daily,so I can learn more about these great pieces of american history.
So does anyone here know which grades may have had fluted combs? Cam,i'm hoping you know the answer to this one. I looked in Henwood's book and couldn't find any with fluted stock combs.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

And, from the other site, 8-)
...quick tutorial on increasing the image size on the page (actually the whole page), hold the control key down while scrolling your mouse wheel. You can increase the magnification beyond what the little percentage sign in the lower right corner will do. It can be set back to normal by clicking the last button mentioned, rolling the wheel back (or under VIEW on ZOOM click on 100%).... This is much simpler and quicker than saving and blowing up.
Did this, can see the "bottle opener spur" on the Ranger. :o

I had been to the Paco's before, thought I had registered when I got my first lever, guess not waiting for them to check out my keyboard tracks, number of levers owned, firstborn's birthday, etc. Thanks for the tip - much to my wife’s chagrin: "just what you need another forum to follow!" :mrgreen:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Them boys over there have pulled me through some hard times, great bunch :)

USAF-72-76
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

My Grandfather's 1911, Model 8, 25 Rem, (which he had converted to 30 Rem) has the same fluted stock as the picture. It also has the rare top tang military "S' curved metal butt plate. However, my 1907, Model 8, 30-30 Rem does not have the fluted stock. It is regular with a Packmayr white line butt pad.

It is very interesting all the different variations these rifles have.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Roger

Post by Roger »

This goes out to anyone still interested. Look at gunbroker.com #307987224 and you will see another m-8 w/ a fluted comb stock. I'm still wondering what grades or what production years that remington may have used that configuration. Or was it just an extra cost option? Anybody have an answer?
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
model63

Post by model63 »

no answers here, but I have a 41,000 serial range, 30 cal with fluted comb, round knob pistol grip and shotgun butt. standard grade. definitely lotsa combinations of features were available!