A threaded barrel extension?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
texassako

A threaded barrel extension?

Post by texassako »

I have never seen this before, always thought the barrels were one piece. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =305492061 . Did someone attempt to rebarrel one by cutting off and threading the original barrel's extension? I have been kind of pondering this since I have a .300 Savage barrel wih a ring in it and most of the front end parts, stub a replacement barrel in and chamber it(7-30 Waters rimless anyone?). The long recoil movement had me wondering how that would hold up if ti were threaded and soldered/locktited.

Edit: I went and took a good look at it, and sure enough there is a seam and alignment reference marks on both sides.
DWalt

Re: A threaded barrel extension?

Post by DWalt »

I can't think of a shotgun or rifle barrel having an extension I have ever seen that did not have a separately-attached extension, either screwed on or sweated on the barrel, or by other means. It would be a challenging exercise in machining to make both from the same block of steel. Not necessarily that it couldn't be done, or that it hasn't been done, but in a mass production environment it would be too complicated and time-consuming.