New Member: Rem Model 8 issues?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

I am new to this forum. This is my first post. Hello all. I have a Model 8 in 35 Rem. I have a primer dimpling problem likely caused by a firing pin issue (but not sure). The gun has never slam fired however the primer on the cartridge fed into the chamber after firing has the primer dimpling issue and I don't fully trust the gun not to go fully auto. I have seen a couple videos about disassembly but they say that taking apart the bolt gets into the gunsmithing range and I don't fully trust myself not to really screw things up. A couple of questions: How do I tell the year of manufacture? The most recent date of patents on the barrel is Feb 14, 1911. The serial number would be telling, I'm sure, but should that info be revealed on an open forum? Next question is, I'd rather take it to a knowledgable gunsmith in my area. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in the Southern NH / Northern MA area knowledgable with the Model 8? Thanks much.
81police

Re: New Member: Rem Model 8 Slam fires?

Post by 81police »

nightrider,

First off welcome to the forum! Let me try and answer your questions,

How do I tell the year of manufacture? - If you don't feel comfortable telling us your serial number you can go to the following link and get a rough idea of the year. If the rifle was mfg. post 1920, there should be a "date code" which is a series of letters stamped where the barrel jacket meets the receiver on the left side of the gun. If the rifle was made before 1920 it should not have any letters stamped there.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=450

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in the Southern NH / Northern MA area knowledgeable with the Model 8? - The gunsmith in the video we list is located in Maine. His name is Jim Green and he is a very good gunsmith with experience on the 8/81 action. Please tell him you were referred by the Model 8 website.

Jim - 207-483-2175
www.downeastgunworks.com/
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Re: New Member: Rem Model 8 issues?

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome to the Great 8. Your issue has been discussed here before. The latest post was a couple months ago "Remington Model 8 Slam Fires" . In this post the problem was identified as being caused by a bent firing pin that was sticking. The slam fire condition can also be caused by dirt and crud sticking the firing pin. Early 8`s are more prone to this because they did not have a firing pin rebound spring. After you have your rifle looked over by the smith and shoot it you should also follow another safety policy. Never chamber a round and release the bolt. Always have the bolt pick up the round from the magazine.I ease the bolt forward rather than releasing it to slam home when chambering the first round. Even with an 8 or 81 in good condition a broken pin or part could cause the sticking and may give you a nasty surprise. Glad to have you here and when you can, post a photo for us of your 8.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey nightrider,

Welcome to the forum. You are at the right place to get answers for your questions. I am not a "slam-fire" expert, but I think you are wise in taking due caution if you see dimpling on the primers. That is getting pretty darn close to going off. :o

As to taking the bolt apart, if you are comfortable in taking things apart and putting them baack together, you will have no problem. There are several pieces in the bolt and they can only go back together one way. An old trick that works for me fot the tirst time event is to have a piece a paper and pencil handy. Remove a piece, write it down and go to the next piece. For re-assembly, start at the bottom of the list and move up the list. If you have a problem, PM me and I'll help you.

Regards,

jack1653
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

As Jack said, we are here to help if you decide to DIY. In that case or to gain more understanding and appreciation of your rifle the following website has detailed descriptions and lots of close up photos.
Joe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buster_cha ... 42/detail/
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

Wow Sarge, that's a great series of photos! I don't know if all that detail gives me the confidence to fully strip one down or rather confirms my fears and the complexity. Thanks for sharing.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

Thanks everyone. My serial number indicates that the gun was manufactured in 1929. I would love to bring the gun to Jim Green however he is 300 miles from my house. Thats 1200 miles dropping off, returning home, picking up, and returning again. I could buy a nice "previously enjoyed" rifle for what I would pay for gas. Like anything complicated, once you do it, it's easy to do again. However, the first time is a pain. I also do not have the tools necessary to do the job. I will continue my search in this area for a gunsmith with Model 8 knowledge. I will get my son to help me get a photo online. Thanks again and safe shooting to all.
nightrider

Post by nightrider »

Also, the firing pin moves realively freely in the bolt indicating that the firing pin spring may be compromised in some way. That freeplay would also indicate the absence of bending in the firing pin. No? I saw in another post here regarding primer dimpling that the firing pin in their Model 8 was just too long and after a slight modification, the primer dimpling problem was solved. I am more inclined to think their is a spring problem.
Big Dooley

Post by Big Dooley »

Hello Nightrider and welcome to the forum. Big Dooley here, I am the one with the Model 8 that slam fired. I was able to find a very nice Firearms Disassembly book with good pictures of the internals of the rifle. I decided that I would try to determine the problem and see if I could fix it myself. When I removed the stock and lower tang/trigger portion of the action, I began taking good pictures of the rifle internals so I would have them when I went to reassemble the rifle. I made sure that I could see where the springs and parts went before I removed them. The pictures were referred to if I had questions later on. It was really much easier to disassemble and reassemble than you might think. I took my time and just paid attention to the parts and didn't really have any trouble at all. I hope you can find out what is wrong. I have been shooting mine quite a bit since I got it fixed and I love it! It is going hunting with me as soon as season opens here for whitetail. Here is a link to my thread. Maybe it will help. Let us know what you find.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2364
[b]Big Dooley[/b]