On diopters

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
gcp

On diopters

Post by gcp »

My 81 came with a Williams diopter and that's probably not an original part so I assume the rifle was drilled? How effective is this diopter, it being adjustable?

gcp
Wildgoose

Re: On diopters

Post by Wildgoose »

gcp wrote:My 81 came with a Williams diopter and that's probably not an original part so I assume the rifle was drilled? How effective is this diopter, it being adjustable?
Hello gcp,
The rifle was drilled for the addition of the after market sight. Your lucky it was still on the rifle as most often they have been removed for sale as a seperate item. All of the after market tang/receiver mounted peep and diopter sights in servicable conditon bring a hefty price. I have added them to all of my M8/81 rifles if they are not scoped. They are indeed effective aids to shooting these guns. I believe the one you have is both windage and elevation adjustable.
gcp

Post by gcp »

Wildgoose thank you. It is elevation and windage adjustable and seems to be in fully functional shape even though I've not yet adjusted it.

Only problem I have with it is that the diopetr hole is quite large so I am not as acurate as I could be with a smaller hole which would help further focus my shooting eye. But it'll be good for quick aquisition in the woods.
gcp
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

The "problem" you speak of should be easy to solve. Many sources are available for the rear aperture with a smaller opening. They will be found with openings from .30 to .80 or thereabout. Williams gunsight is still around and the FP series sight is still offered.You might contact them as to whether they have apertures alone for sale at 1-800-530-9028 or 810-653-2131 . If not there is always Fleabay . Sometimes the less popular Williams sights with an aperture sell for about what you would pay for just the aperture you are looking for. Then there is Aperturesnmore.com . Good people there.Have helped many of us with parts and screws for our 8/81`s
While accuracy is always good, in most cases with rifles equipped with a rear peep sight that I have used in a hunting situation,I remove the aperture for faster target acquisition.Heck that`s why most of them are missing on the sights we come across now.Ended up in somebody`s pants pocket and went through the wash.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."