M81 Recoil pad

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
oscarflytyer

M81 Recoil pad

Post by oscarflytyer »

Just picked up a M81/300 Savage. I really didn't believe - until I shot it - that recoil would be that bad. But, as others have said, it is...

Before you beat me up about keeping it original, consider the following. It is not original. Been drilled/tapped/two holes filled for scope mount. Now has a Stith four screw side mount on it (drilled/tapped for that? or some original holes? don't know). Also has sling swivels. Additionally, pitting on the bbl tube. Wood has some dings, but that just gives it character, IMO. The gun is in pretty decent shape for a gun nearly 70 yrs old.

I like it, I am fine with the shape it is in, and I want to enjoy shooting it. I have had rotator cuff surgery and recoil that i never even noticed now bothers me (shot a 300 WM forever; welcome to getting old, I guess...).

All this said, I am SERIOUSLY considering putting a recoil pad on it. Would like suggestions on what would look closest to a period pad (gun is 1947 year). Thinking about a nice Pachmayr on it. Any other suggestions? Thanx
jack1653

Re: M81 Recoil pad

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Friend,

It is your rifle and if you want to put a recoil pad on it to make it more comfortable to shoot, then by all means do it. There is nothing more frustrating than wanting to have fun shooting and come home with a bruised shoulder. A good recoil pad will certainly lessen the potential of a banged up shoulder.

There are many recoil pads available and it comes down to personal preference. If you have a good gunsmith, get their recommendation and have the pad mounted professionally. Most of us who are critical of recoil pads is not necessarily the pad but the poor job that has been done in putting it on the stock. If you can see some pads that were put on by the factory compared to some "bubba" attempt, you can see why there is criticism. Remember that there are collectors who don't like alterations of any kind and there are shooters who want to use their rifles to hunt or target shoot. I always say to the shooters, make your gun the way that it is most comfortable to shoot.

The cost of a recoil pad can be all over the place. If you have a friend that shoots some real shoulder busters, you can probably get some good advice on which pads work best. I can tell you that there is a big difference in pads and it boils down to personal preference. I like the recoil pads that come on the Weatherby Magnums. They work very well and some of these magnums kick like a bay mule.

A lot of good stocks have been ruined by cutting off the stock to make the recoil pad fit the stock. I personnally prefer having the pad cut to match the stock and it can be done. May cost more, but you get a better looking job. I wish that I could give you a brand specific, but that undoubtedly would create a raft of opinions that could be very confusing.

I hope this helps to explain why "we" are sometime critical of recoil pads.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I carry two slip on pads with me at all times for anything over a 25. I'm old enough I don't care what anyone says or how it looks. (On a friends magnum Weatherby elephant gun, I used them both at the same time! :shock: )

As to period specific there are a lot of pictures on the web, gunbrokers etc. - seems recoil pads got popular right after the war (right along with scopes) and Remington was installing just about anything the customer wanted.

Sounds like yours is like mine a shooter not a collector, like Jack, I say make it yours.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

oscarflytyer,
I am probably one of the biggest sticklers for maintaining a gun's originality, but I have to agree with you and the others on this one. By all means, put a kickpad on it. Besides the fact that you should do what you want when you own it, the gun will be more valuable to you and more usable for you with the kickpad. The facts are that it already isn't a collectible original rifle, so why not make it the best shooting rifle you can make it. As Jack said, kickpads vary greatly in quality and for esthetic purposes, it is the quality and talents of the person mounting it that makes the difference. I also agree that if you can handle the length of pull increase, mounting the kickpad without cutting it is always best for later resale as it preserves the original option. Keepng the original buttplate to put back on the correct length of pull, should they choose to remove the pad, is an obvious benefit. Good luck finding the right pad and mounter, and most importantly, enjoy shooting your rifle.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
oscarflytyer

Post by oscarflytyer »

I am now using a 'sissy pad' for range work. Adds less than 1/2" LOP. I found something the other day - a slip on boot, w/ various thickness foam inserts. Only $15. Think I will give it a try before I cut the stock.

As I shoot and hunt the rifle, and reload for it, if I determine it is something that I can't part with, I will cut the stock and put a top of the line Pachmayr pad on it.. Prob a shotgun style, and maybe leather. Think they look very nice. I have cut stocks and put a couple pads on guns in the past. Cutting straight and smooth is the trick. If you are patient (not a strong suite for me!) and sand very slowly, you can make it look very nice.
gcp

Post by gcp »

Slip-ons work really well for me and they allow any stock to remain original.

Personally I am all for refinishing old rifles because I am a stickler for cleanliness and perfection. So, when I buy an old rifle and it needs it I'll bring it to in as new condition as possible. I care less about it's future "collectability" and more about how it makes me feel while I'm on this earth using it. And when I'm dead and gone I'll care not one iota of what the next owner will think about it being refinished. He has his style, I have mine and mine pre-dated his. Plus, I believe if one is looking for an investment one should buy and hold without running the risk of firing said investment.

Just one strange man's humble opinion.
gcp
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Shooter's Firend pad. These work very well. I use one for competion with my big bore bufffalo Sharps and Rollers. Easy on and off. Really do the job and can be used on any rifle you have without modifications. Very nice feature when dealing with custom or vintage guns you really dont want to modify. :D

http://www.sageoutfitters.com/catalog/i ... 383536.htm
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I have a nice lace-on leather recoil pad I have used on my .45-70 Marlin 1895, looks pretty classy. I bought it some years ago when the old Sportsman's Warehouse chain was still in business, but I imagine those pads are still available.

As I have commented earlier, I find the M81 in .300 Savage is punishing to shoot, especially from the bench. I have for some time intended to work up some light .300 loads to make shooting from the bench a bit more comfortable while still being capable of functioning the action, but I have not yet done so. I think a minimum charge of one of the slower burning powders such as 4350 wnd a lighter bullet, such as a 130 grainer, would be appropriate.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Dwalt,

You may have seen my posting on the conversions that I have done. I have one that was done for the 300 Savage. I haven't shot it yet and have some reservation as to how much it may hurt in a rapid fire situation. Given your comments about how the 300 is a real shoulder pounder, what would be your recommendation for some rounds that I can push through the 15 shot magazine that wouldn't beat me to death? :lol:

If I do shoot it occasionally, it will be for fun and not for hunting. I use a Model 81 .300 Savage with a Krieger conversion to hunt hogs. I had some custom load made that were recommended by one of the bullet manufacturers and I don't find it unbearable but that is because I am hunting and not target shooting. It seems to me that all rifles have a kick when shooting targets and I don't notice it all when hunting. Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

jack1653