Gun Broker and similar sites

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
jack1653

Gun Broker and similar sites

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I am sure many of you search the web for opportunities to acquire items of interest. Have any of you had issues with Gun Broker and it's bidding process? I have had some issues with them and I don't know whether it is my inability to use their processes or if their are issues about this particular web site. In particular, it seems the bidding process may be questionable or perhaps it is the seller who is suspect. If you have some opinions on this topic, I would like to hear from you.
oldtimehockey

Re: Gun Broker and similar sites

Post by oldtimehockey »

I always wonder when an auction comes up and the price is driven ever higher by a new or (NR non rated) bidder. A fella is flying blind at this point. The other annoying thing is the auction being pulled early,especially when there are current bids! I ve experienced both scenarios before. Just a thought... What say you?
ikeda

Post by ikeda »

I've bought and sold a number of items with no problem. Although I have wondered about some guys artificially running up the prices by having a buddy bid. I don't think you can close out an auction after it gets a bid. I personally hate it when a guy uses a "reserve" price. If he has a minimum, then put it out there by posting a minimum bid. I never bid on an item with a "reserve" price.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys, Thanks for the thoughts. I have been one of those NR bidders and hope that I haven't caused any difficulty. I don't know how you get rated unless you are successful in the bidding process. It seems to me that some auctions aren't as important as others and you don't run into the bidding issues. I have made purchase on several web sites and it still amazes me at the bidding. I have several friends who have cautioned me about the "Buddy" bidding. It doesn't seem fair, but what can you do about it. I tend to set a limit for myself and once it is reached, I am done. I guess what makes me suspicious is when you lose the auction and you see the item back up for sale in the next few days. Something doesn't seem right, does it?
model8man

Post by model8man »

On any reserve auction you have to watch for "straw bidders" or "pushers". Usually buddies of the seller who know what the "reserve price" is in advance.

On most auction sights you can end the auction until the "reserve" is met. When you see the same 2 or 3 guys with 14 total bids on the same gun and the reserve still isn't met...that is a red flag.

Buyer beware! Don't fall into the trap of what someone else is bidding on the gun. Determine what it is worth to you...and stick with that.

Jack, how about that 30-30 rem with the pistol grip? Wanted that one myself but see you didn't get it either. How do you like the 25-35 rem I put you on?

Randy