Early 3 digit s/n

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
YooperJ

Early 3 digit s/n

Post by YooperJ »

I have a 5xx serial number model 8 that I have a few questions about. The gun has been messed with a little as far as finish goes. At some period in time it was buffed clean of all the bluing except for the takedown handle. There are not many markings on this gun and was wondering what should be there. Barrel jacket has the typical Remington patents on it and that is about it for that part. Bottom of receiver forward is marked as follows: J in a circle then the S/N then a S and J in a circle on the front part of the trigger housing. Also there is a N behind the trigger guard on the bottom tang. It has a Marble's front sight and no rear sight. The is a Redfield receiver sight on the back of the receiver. The stock has an old White Line butt pad. It is a 35 REM but doesn't say so on the barrel tang. Anything else I should know??? I may have it re-blued so it doesn't look naked! :oops:
81police

Re: Early 3 digit s/n

Post by 81police »

YooperJ, congrats on an early Model 8 and welcome also to the forums! We're glad to have you.

If you're able to post a few photographs I think we could get a better overview of the rifle. It's funny you ask about the rifle because we're working on an article right now looking at the earliest Model 8's. We'd love to see pics of your rifle.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Funny that this subject should come up. I recently aquired an early model also. After conferring w/ jack I purchased. It from my friend. Its a m-8 in 35 rem. In pretty good condition. It has the caliber engraved on the top of the barrel jacket extension. I know that some early guns are engraved with the caliber marking in that area but I think that most of them are 35 Cal. Units. According to Henwood. Does yours have the caliber engraved on the barrel jacket extension? I need to'post pics of mine too but i'm just too busy with work right now. Hopefully some day soon. Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
YooperJ

Post by YooperJ »

Nothing that I can see shows any caliber. Mine has had the bluing removed so I not sure if it there or not. I'll look closer and see if I can make out anything. I'll try and get some pictures up soon.
Roger

Post by Roger »

I failed to mention the serial # of my rem. M-8 is 73 x so yours is slightly earlier than mine. I honestly don't know why yours wouldn't have an engraved caliber marking too. Maybe someone else on this forum can shed some light on this question. Thanks,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
YooperJ

Post by YooperJ »

I just posted a bunch of pictures of the gun on my web site. Take a look at let me know what you think. I really appreciate all the help.

www.yooperj.com/rem8.htm
Roger

Post by Roger »

Yooper, from the pics you posted I can't see any engraved caliber marking on the barrel jacket extension. Henwoo d in his book stops short of saying that the only caliber that's engraved is 35 rem. I really don't know why yours isn't engraved on there. My engraving is deeply done so it seems unlikely that it was ground completely off. However, it is a possibility. Hopefully some one who knows more about this subject will post a response.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

YooperJ,

Remington only put the caliber of the rifle in one of two places throughout production. Very early rifles like yours originally had the caliber hand engraved on top of the barrel jacket head (part between receiver and barrel jacket). It wasn't long after production, Remington began roll stamping calibers on the barrel extension instead. Sometime, post 1911, the barrel jacket on yours was replaced, and possibly your jacket head too. This is obvious because of the later patent dates of 1907 and 1911 on a rifle manufactured in 1906. Roger pointed out that it was unlikely your roll stampings were buffed out of your barrel extension and I believe he is correct. These were usually done pretty deep. If this is true that indicates your barrel jacket is a replacement, but your barrel is original...as very early barrels did not have the caliber marked on the extension. Hope all that makes sense.

The Redfield tang sight was popular back in the day and necessitated the drilling of a small extra hole in the back of the receiver. The three holes in the receiver may be for a Saturn Boone sight, but I don't know, I'll have to check hole patterns in my files.

Congrats on your Model 8!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

YooperJ,

I looked at some sights and the three holes in your receiver were probably not for a Saturn Boone, but possibly a Lyman 41.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks for clearing this up Cameron. I didn't notice the later barrel address. That's why you are the expert, and I'm not!! This forum is an awesome reference place,and I for one am sure glad I found it.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com