Looking for Information on my new model 81

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
NEKHUNTER

Looking for Information on my new model 81

Post by NEKHUNTER »

Hello,
I'm new to this site and a new owner of a model 81 Woodsmaster. It came up at an auction unadvertised and I decided I wanted to own it. I was told an older gentlemen brought it in who owned it for decades and just never used it. From what I know so far it was manufactured in 1947. It's in excellent condition, close to a NIB. It doesn't appear to have been fired more than a very few times, almost no wear on the moving parts. The bore looks like one on a brand new rifle off the shelf. It has a rear peep sight and a 2.5 power Weaver scope mounted off to the side. The entire receiver is fully engraved including the scope mount, rings and locking levers. The scope and peep both point to the same target. It also has what appears to be ivory in-lay in the butt stock on each side with one under the forearm. Each one is a diamond with wood trim, about 2" or so. The stock is clean and has no dents or nicks in it that I can find.
What I'm learning so far is that I think I was very lucky to get this rifle and there aren't many around like it from what I've seen so far. I think the in-lays are ivory due to the patina and appearance of it.
Does anyone know if Remington would have produced a rifle with these engravings and in-lays at the factory?
I will post photo's in a few weeks. I am currently storing the rifle in a friends safe until I can make adequate room.
I was going to actually use the rifle to hunt deer, but I have thought better of it the more I learn about these fine rifles.
I appreciate any information you can provide.
Thanks, NEKHUNTER
81police

Re: Looking for Information on my new model 81

Post by 81police »

Nekhunter,

Congrats on the find. From your description it sounds as if the rifle was not engraved by Remington. The only reason I say this is because Remington, as far as I know, never offered factory installed aftermarket scope mounts much less engraved them along with rings and locking levers. The ivory inlay stock does not sound consistent with the work Remington did on high grade 81's. This is just my guess though, and I could be wrong, but pictures would really tell the tale. Sounds like a really cool rifle!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator