Highest M8 Serial #?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
81police

Highest M8 Serial #?

Post by 81police »

Has anyone seen a Model 8 serial number higher than this one owned by member Jack1653? #69908

Jack could you tell us the date code?
Attachments
DSC_3079.JPG
DSC_3079.JPG (66.87 KiB) Viewed 43607 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Re: Highest M8 Serial #?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey 81police,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I am sorry that I forgot to send you the information. :oops: It is kind of hard to ask for information if I don't provide all the information. The barrel codes are "PE" which means it is a June of 1936 production. I seem to recall that when we asked about latest production sometime ago that an October "E" had surfaced but the serial number was lower. :?

This rifle is a great find and I was fortunate to have it offered to me. The gentleman who sold the rifle is honerable and made no pretenses about the condition. It was all or nothing kind of deal and I took him at his word and bought the rifles (one being the FN 1900). Not only does it have a high serial number, there is the rare Lyman rear peep sight. This sight is in much better condition than the others that I have. A little "Twister" spray had the components moving freely. It is really a unique sight. I believe someone told me that this is the same sight that was used on some of the FBI models. The only negative from a collector point of view is the "Redhead" recoil pad. The stock was cut to receive the recoil pad so there is not an opportunity for restoration.

Regards,

jack1653
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

Jack, As you have discovered well in your quest to have a rifle for each year of manufacture, serial numbers and barrel date codes don't always match for years of production. It is not uncommon to find a serial number supposedly from one year while the stamped date code might be from the prior or year after. This certainly means that rifles did not leave the plant in sequential order. Your example of the June and October rifles you mention are prime examples. Even today, guns do not proceed down the line sequentially. They are close, but normal processes dictate that it is not always possible. It really doesn't matter to the guys manufacturing, as volume of production takes precidence.

The Lyman side mount sight is the same as the ones ordered and mounted on the originally ordered FBI rifles. As noted in Cam's article on the FBI rifles found on this site, the late or second model FBI rifles did not have the sight. The sight is cool even though it requires the receiver to be drilled and tapped. I hate tapped guns, but will admite to owning a couple of the Lyman tapped rifles because they are so cool. Being a very late model 8, among the last produced is great. Darn the kickpad, but kickpads started becoming the rage for hunters in the late 30's and 40's and extended throughout the production of the 81's. That is why so many 81's have kickpads. If you were a hunter, a side mounted Lyman and kickpad made a lot of sense. I don't think the peep hurts it as badly as the kickpad in value, as the sight at least has some value by itself and if properly installed should offer good aim. Plus you didn't have to pay to have a good gunsmith mount it. I suggest you shoot it. I bet it shoots well and its not going to hurt the limited collector's value. Let us know how well you can sight it in with the peep.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

This is in response to Cam asking about any higher serial numbers of model 8's. He does mention that Jack1653 owns S/N 69908 which is higher than the highest number referenced in Henwood's book of 69899. I just purchased 69928 but have not received it yet. It is a 32 REM with the round knob semi-pistol grip stock and the type two magazine with only one side spring. I will let you guys know more when I have it in hand. This could be the last M8 shipped out or at least the last in 32 REM.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

WARNING: this may seem like a bit of a reflective ramble, but there IS a point!! :roll:

The "detective work" yall put together for Model 8/81 research is quite interesting to me. I find it is very lucky for we collectors/history nuts that you folks have banded together for the collective good of American firearms enthusiasts - to add more understanding to the actual production history of some of Remington's (and John Browning's) most significant firearms.

Just about every time I browse a post on this site - especially one of this type, when folks get their heads together to "make sense" of the production history of firearms, the "why and how" of gun design and service - I thank my lucky stars for living in close proximity to the NRA's NFM (Nat'l Firearms Museum) in Fairfax, Virginia.
I believe Mitch, you or maybe it was Roger, mentioned you had a chance to visit the NRA's museum over the summer - hope my memory serves correctly. What a great place to go! The curators truly developed a world-class firearms display, with interactive touch-screen stations near every section so one can "dig deeper" into every single gun displayed. Fascinating!

One of the sections in particular grabs my attention every time - it is the replica "machine shop" scene in which a period display of an early American gunsmith's shop is recreated, laden with beautifully appropriate examples of weapons/parts/tools/artifacts of the day.

Sorry guys - I teach 6th graders, and even though you might not know it, American history and culture is my favorite subject! I have to "stop" my discussions and displays of US firearms as part of American and Virginia studies in 1877 (that's my grade level "cut-off" of the time-line of US/VA history) but I actually do incorporate such talk and show & tell in my teaching - believe it or not! So far, I have used photographs of my 1790/1810 period flintlock fowler/musket in several years of teaching the early American period, from Colonial era 1607 to the "New Nation" era about 1820's. My "wish list" for teaching does include one day bringing my fowler to school as part of a reenactment/display, since already I have Revolution period clothing I wear from time to time.

There, ramble done - continue the Model 8 production history lesson! I am still taking notes, guys! :geek:

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Rob,

Congratulations of the find. It makes me wonder if there any more out there. Maybe you can provide a picture of this high number.

Regards,

Jack
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Well, I finally went and picked up this rifle that I thought was s/n 69928 and it turned out to be 69929. It is 32 REM, but the barrel jacket has no original date code. Only two repair codes. Let me know what you think and if there are any higher serial numbers out there. This may be the last M8 to leave the factory.

ROB
Attachments
IMG_1271 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1271 (800x600).jpg (206.96 KiB) Viewed 43073 times
IMG_1278 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1278 (800x600).jpg (246.26 KiB) Viewed 43073 times
IMG_1276 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1276 (800x600).jpg (237.34 KiB) Viewed 43073 times
81police

Post by 81police »

a round knob pistol grip w/ cheeked stock on a very very late production 8? OLD semi-curved hard rubber buttplate? No left side spring? Is the receiver cutout for a left side spring? Things are just getting weird :shock:

Is the stock serial number match the rifle by chance? Is this a frankengun?

Great find ROBOPUMP! This one you got is the latest 8, by serial number, I've seen.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey guys,
I realize that not all gun factories followed the same procedures. But, if this were a Winchester, which I know much more about,it would represent a final era gun with parts still left in parts bins being used to put it together. I have no idea if Remington used the same procedures or not. Winchester never,ever, let parts go to waste. This may be why it's got what appears to be mismatched parts from different eras. Hey Rob, do you have a photo of the barrel jacket address on this gun? Just me rambling on here,but it's a thought. There are members out there who know the answers here. Please chime in!
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I would like to suggest a few things before we rush to judgement as to whether this is an original issue. The first thing I will acknowledge is that the serial number on the receiver is the latest that I have seen and it is certainly authentic. Whether the other issues that we are observing are valid or not, this is a very nice rifle and I would welcome it in my collection with or without issues.

I was able to do some lightening of the pictures and it showed that there is only one spring slot in the trigger assembly. There is none that is evidenced on the left side of the assembly. This will answer 81police's question of there is only one spring on the magazine. I am not implying that only one spring would indicate a much earlier issue but I don't recall seeing one sided springs on late issue rifles. That being said, it would not surprise me if Remington would have done this. The old style round knob as seen on this rifle is highly questionable. On some of these late model 8 issues, Remington started issuing stocks with the pistol grips very similar to the model 81's.

Rob indicated that he did not see any barrel codes on the jacket but it did have two repair codes. This may explain some of the issues that all of us are seeing and may be the explanation of the various inconsistencies. The fact that Rob did not find any barrel codes would be reason to believe that the barrel assembly and the stock could indeed be issued at a much earlier time when the old round knob pistol grips were more prevalent.

Another issues that I noticed was the difference in bluing color between the magazine and the receiver. This may be simply a picture issue. If Rob could take the rifle down he maybe able to answer many of the issues that we are questioning. Look for the serial number in several locations on the components. Remington was pretty consistent on putting serial numbers or the last 3 digits on many components, Check the following components for serial numbers; barrel shroud often has last three digits; the side of the trigger assembly tang always has a number; the magazine usually has a serial number; check the tang slots on the stock for the serial number; check the butt plate for a serial number.

Regardless of the the final inspection and verification from Rob, I think this is what makes these rifles so special. With very few exceptions, you can take parts from a first year production and put them in a last year production. They could easily be repaired with newer parts or older parts and have the same reliability as when first issued.

I probably don't need to say this but if Rob decides he doesn't want this rifle, he can give me a call. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

jack1653
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

That is a great find Rob! It's the highest serial number I have seen & I like it sir. The round knob pistol grip stock is my personal favorite and you did well, by bringing this rifle home Rob. Congrats on finding a unique and special rifle! Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
81police

Post by 81police »

the more you look at that rifle ROBOPUMP, the more cool it is! You certainly got the award for highest known serial number! That's got to feel pretty cool!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Rob,
It occurred to me that both these round knobs,my 30/30@ your32 came from the same collection. I don't think it's a coincidence that they are both unusual in their own right. Did this collector know what we are just now starting to see? Probably so.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Well, I guess you guys are ready for my comments about 69929 after further inspection. I knew most of these facts before the initial post, but wanted to see if some could spot issues with the rifle. This reminds me of high school biology class when we got to dissect a grasshopper or toad. Cam came close with most of his initial comments. He misstated that he wanted to know if the receiver had the second slot for a magazine with two side springs. Jack cleared it up by stating that the other slot would be in the trigger plate. Cam knew that I knew that he knew what he meant.
So, to clear up the curiosity of this rifle, here are the facts that I observed.
Top tang has the correct s/n 69929(date ?) on it. Of course it should since it is part of the receiver.
Butt stock has s/n 30959(1913). At least the 9’s are in the right place.
The trigger plate has s/n 32466(1914).
The magazine has s/n 32466, but the two looks like it was first a “0” and stamped over with a “2”. Only one slot for a mag side spring.
The barrel jacket head does not have an initial date code, but does have two repair codes. “3” Barrel jacket is not drilled and tapped for a sling swivel. This feature was not added until Oct. 1920. I am thinking that it matches either the trigger plate or the butt plate. If not, four guns were used to make this one.
Rear flip down sight has no name on it anywhere, not even on the bottom.
The rifle did have a Lyman or Marble type peep sight at one time.
There is a small dent on the barrel jacket – top left ahead of the inscription.
Barrel jacket inscription is Type III with only commas. No semi-colons anywhere. See the top of page 63 of Henwood’s book. But it is not exactly like Type III. Both lines are exactly the same length. Type III shows to be center justified with the bottom line shorter than the top line. There is no “Model 8” on the barrel jacket, but it is on the receiver.
Bottom tang does have the spot that looks like the other tang screw hole had been filled as I mentioned in another post.
The bolt is not marked meaning it was for one of the smaller calibers. Not 35 REM. We may never know what caliber 69929 left the factory with since the barrel jacket assembly is probably a replacement also.
The butt plate is a plastic replacement.
Strange thing is that the receiver has more wear than the rest of the rifle. Why would someone place all these other parts on the more worn 69929 receiver? I think that at the time, 69929 was just considered another M8 and the owner was like most of us and liked the old round knobs. He may have had the butt stock and had to find a trigger plate that he could change out to make it work. So, what happened to the other parts of 69929 and what happened to the other parts to the other two rifles?
I hope you are not bored yet. The seller of this rifle had bought a collection of M8/81’s and was putting them on the internet a few at a time with a very favorable price with only a premium of $15-$30 for buy it now. I saw 69929 and recognized that it was the highest s/n that I knew anything about even with Jack’s 69908. I pondered over it all day and finally decided that it was worth the risk to go ahead and buy it because with the buy now price it would not last long. I was sure disappointed when I broke it down and found the Frankengun as Cam calls it. I own over 50 guns and this is the only one with mixed matched numbers. Why this one? I would be OK with a middle of the road gun being mixed matched.
Now just a little twist to the story. I did tip Bob with S&S Huntclub onto the “F” grade that he is so proud of and he acknowledged that in his post about it. I couldn’t afford a divorce if I purchased a second rifle in a week. Now, if the seller would have listed the “F” grade first, I would have it and would have tipped Bob on to 69929 and I am sure he would have bought it. With the buy now attractive price, it would be hard to ask questions and wait for an answer from the seller knowing someone would hit on the high s/n and buy it while you waited on answers. I accept it as just the way the cookie crumbles or if I didn’t have bad luck, I would have no luck at all. My luck just does not run like Bob’s and Jack’s, but I am sure they have had surprises on some of their purchases.

Where, oh, where can the other parts of my 69929 be? Oh, where oh where can they be? Please check all of your butt stocks and trigger plates please. We know they are out there somewhere.
Who wants to buy it now and what is the offer?
Attachments
IMG_1376 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1376 (800x600).jpg (238.97 KiB) Viewed 42946 times
IMG_1378 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1378 (800x600).jpg (259.9 KiB) Viewed 42946 times
IMG_1384 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1384 (800x600).jpg (242.36 KiB) Viewed 42946 times
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to get all the information and sharing it with us. It is quite interesting to have a rifle with so many unexpected issues :o and yet it is still a very nice rifle :D and one that goes to show that the model 8 is indeed a versatile rifle. There aren't many rifles that can interchange parts from so many years as easy as these old "spring poles". I would be willing to bet that it performs very well.

Luck is indeed a factor when getting some of these rifles. I would like to say that I have never been duped but that would be a mischaracterization of the truth. :shock: I will say that I have purchased a few that I knew were different and they were indeed conversation pieces. I think all of us have had their "Frankengun" as Cam calls them but it doesn't seem to discourage us to the point on not buying anymore. Shucks, when "jackitis" hits me I am liable to buy anything and often do. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Until someone comes us with a higher number, you will hold the honor of having the highest number on a receiver. I will be happy to share the honor with you as having the second highest number but with all the components having the same number if that is okay with you. ;)

Regards,

Jack
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey rob,
I guess I was right about it being parts cleanup gun,just not in the manner I was thinking. It's still the highest serial # m-8 known by most of us to date. Heck, I've been known to buy guns just because they were available, only to find out they were totally misrepresented in one way or another. I will say that the other two I got from the same collection are numbers matching guns. As you said,that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
It's still a round knob m-8 which I love. Email me to discuss it if you want to. I'm not afraid of it.
Thanks for your time,and this most interesting series of posts.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

After more study, I think the barrel jacket inscription is more like Eleventh Style but with the commas replacing the semi-colons and adding the , after "C.," as per s/n 53211 in the paragraph which was a 1927 rifle.
This could be a rifle made from clean up parts at the factory as Roger suggest. Remember, this would have been in the mist of the Great Depression and maybe Remington would put out a rifle with as little additional effort as possible. According to Henwood, very few rifles were made in 1936 - 1939. I don't think we really know exactly when Remington put the serial number on the various parts and some could have been thrown back in the parts bin after being serial numbered. Oh, well, as it has been said many times - "If only this rifle could talk".

Notice in the picture attached the spot where second hole would have been in the lower tang. Also, notice the birds eye maple stock on the table. I will make a post about it later.

ROB

I think that I posted this once before, but for those who missed it. My sign on name of robopump comes from the company that I used to work for. The first computer system that I had login to made our user name from the first two letters of your first name and the first two letters of your last name. My name is Robert Bowden, so I became ROBO. Most other employees only knew me by ROBO and many did not know my real name. One guy became appropriately "REDU". The pump comes from me selling industrial and commercial pumps for 43 years. Just another twist, I often sign off with ROB. My middle name is Odom and therefore ROB are my initials. Smart mom.

ROB
Attachments
IMG_1387 (800x600).jpg
IMG_1387 (800x600).jpg (266.39 KiB) Viewed 42922 times
81police

Post by 81police »

ROBOPUMP wrote:Cam came close with most of his initial comments. He misstated that he wanted to know if the receiver had the second slot for a magazine with two side springs. Jack cleared it up by stating that the other slot would be in the trigger plate. Cam knew that I knew that he knew what he meant.
Hey, i was just making sure y'all were paying attention, you know keeping you on your toes ;) :lol: You believe that don't you :D

Well looks like I'll update the "8 & 81 Serial Numbers" page with this being the latest known serial number. Congrats ROB! You've got a very interesting gun, it's a keeper & collector just for the serial number alone. Oh the stories this gun could tell.

P.S. "Frankengun" came from IMFUNCITY, I think he is the owner of the original "Franken 8".
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Well fellow members, this may seem farfetched,and it probably is. But what if Remington received a special order request for a round knob model 8, by an enthusiast who didn't necessarily like the new Model 81. After regular production of the model 8 had ceased. I know it's a stretch of the imagination,but who's to say.
Thanks,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

P.S. "Frankengun" came from IMFUNCITY, I think he is the owner of the original "Franken 8".
Not sure if I started it... but my the Franken 8 has gone down the road, so what out it's likely still making the gunshow rounds.

My second "Frankengun" is pictured in the ********CONTEST******** - it was a straight stock that someone decided to make into a pistol grip knobby (with an A5 stock? or...).
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

Hey ROBOPUMP I went ahead and added your serial number to the latest known Model 8, and while I was at it, I updated the "Manufacture Dates" page. If you care to see it...

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/?page_id=450
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I think I am going to sell the Model 8 with the highest known serial number 69929 on GunBroker. Is there anyone out there that may be interested in it or wants to make me an offer up front? You can read the story here and ask questions if you like. I would rather one of you guys get it. ROB
81police

Post by 81police »

Rob you should email Jack about this rifle, jack1653@att.net
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I listed serial number 69929 on GunBroker last night starting at $600.00. It is auction number 439989924. Good luck bidding.

ROB
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

For you guys that have been on here for a while, you may remember this post and the rifle turned out to be a non matching as far as serial numbers. Well, I hate to reopen the discussion that possibly this was a clean up gun just to get the scrap pieces put together in a sellable rifle as Roger Williams suggest.

So, for some odd reason I got to thinking about another high serial numbered rifle I have and I didn't think that I had ever disassembled it. The rifle is serial number 69551 and is in 35 REM which would be expected for a later made rifle. I did find that the top tang and the bottom tang had the complete correct serial number. The magazine has no serial number but does have the two side springs that would be correct. Oddly, I found 551 stamped on the inside of the forearm and on the barrel jacket head with large letter stamps. These parts are not normally serial number to a rifle in this way. The stranges finding was that the butt stock had an original serial number of 65191. However, the butt stock was renumbered the correct 69551 but up side down from the original number and in smaller numerals. You may also read in this thread that Cam was supprised that the higher serial number 69929 had a round knob semi-pistol grip which would not have been correct for late manufactured rifles. The one I am now examing(69551) has the flat knob semi-pistol grip. Cam, I know this does not fit in with late manufactured rifles, but it is serial numbered to the receiver.

Therefore, I think the proof is in the pudding and Remington did scrape up as many pieces as they could to make sellable rifles at the end of the run on model 8's and 69929 may be just the way it left the factory. Remember, this was during the great depression and Remington was probably trying to make a buck the cheapest way they could.

Replies and comments are welcomed.

Roger, you are probably right.

Of course I am getting the file too large to upload pictures message. I will try to get pictures uploaded later.
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I have rebooted my computer and will try to upload some pictures of 69551. My main point now in reopening this can of worms is that I now have proof that Remington did use older parts with smaller serial numbers to build new rifles. The butt stock has two serial numbers that are about 4000 units apart and one is correct. Does that mean that some serial numbers were assigned and not built? If that is the case, we have no idea how many rifles finally made it to the public. Pictures will still not upload even though I have resized to the smallest size my photo program will go. File is still too large. Any help here? I get the message "The file is too big, Maximum allowed size is 700 KIB". I think that is quite small for a picture. I have the picture down to 240 X 180. What's up?
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Robert, as far as adding pictures to posts on this forum is concerned: my best luck is by just embedding the link to my google drive photo albums.
I know it is all a bunch of clicking but it does get annoying when something that used to work a particular way doesn't seem to do so any more. Can't say for sure if that's the case here, but then again I rarely add jpg's or other photos directly - just the link to my google drive folder.

Sorry you're having trouble with the photos - I feel your pain! With work-related stuff, I seem to juggle so many digital formats it's amazing I keep it all together AND still have time to teach these 5th graders!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Rob,
I've been thinking about you the last few days,due to news coverage about the rain in Texas. I'm hoping that our fellow members in Texas are doing OK. The rain looks bad there. We had massive rain and flooding here in 1993 and again a few more times in more recent years that I can't remember exactly. Anyways I understand the pain and suffering it can cause,flooding and excess rain,I mean.
I know that to some of us it may seem far fetched, that late production parts may have non-matching numbers on model 8/81 s. But I'm much more experienced in Winchester collecting, and they never threw anything away. So it only makes sense to me that they would use up old stock parts at Remington too.
I know I suggested this before,but it could have been a special order for an 8 with a round knob stock. If you had the money, Winchester and Browning would do whatever you wanted them to do. Why wouldn't Remington do the same thing? These are just my ramblings/opinions but I have to agree with Rob on this one.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

The Creamer family owns a very unique Model 8-C (659XX) which not only is in 300Sav caliber, but even more unique is that engraved on the side of the receiver is a special inscription. The inscription is in recognition of a retiring Remington salesman from his employees. The inscribed years of this salesman's service is "1906-1939". So it's interesting because this rifle very well could be the last Model 8 produced even though its serial number may not be the latest. The gun is a flat knob pistol grip, double side spring magazine, Model 81 rear sight, and the Remington trademark roll stamping is somewhat faint.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

One more try at the pictures.

ROB
Attachments
DSCF1676[1].JPG
DSCF1676[1].JPG (84.47 KiB) Viewed 41558 times
DSCF1675[1].JPG
DSCF1675[1].JPG (83.45 KiB) Viewed 41558 times
DSCF1674[1].JPG
DSCF1674[1].JPG (69.61 KiB) Viewed 41558 times
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Here are some more. I had to put them in a zip file.

ROB
Attachments
DSCF1673[1].JPG
DSCF1673[1].JPG (60.19 KiB) Viewed 41558 times
DSCF1672[1].JPG
DSCF1672[1].JPG (69.68 KiB) Viewed 41558 times
DSCF1671[1].JPG
DSCF1671[1].JPG (80.09 KiB) Viewed 41558 times
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Also, notice the barrel jacket date code of "AF". That would be March of 1937.

ROB
Roger

Post by Roger »

This is really cool Rob. I would think that any m-8 from 1937 would be an oddity for sure. Hopefully some other members will weigh on this. Jack,Corey, what's your opinion here.
Thanks,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

OK, Cam. I am totally confused now. You state that S/N: 659XX could have been the last M8 produced when you know I have S/N: 69929 and 69551 and Jack has 69908 and Henwood references 69899 and several other serial numbers above 659XX. I would like to see your explanation how a rifle with a serial number 4000 units below the highest known serial number could be the last rifle manufactured. Or are you saying serial numbers don't mean anything? You are a pretty smart guy and I don't understand how you came to that conclusion. My regards.

ROB
81police

Post by 81police »

Hey Rob great questions,

Corey Creamer explains it best a few posts above...
serial numbers and barrel date codes don't always match for years of production. It is not uncommon to find a serial number supposedly from one year while the stamped date code might be from the prior or year after. This certainly means that rifles did not leave the plant in sequential order. Even today, guns do not proceed down the line sequentially. They are close, but normal processes dictate that it is not always possible. It really doesn't matter to the guys manufacturing, as volume of production takes precidence.

So there are lots of cases where rifles are many many numbers apart, but the date codes tell a different story. This is proven true in cases like Police rifles were you have guns that are literally 5500+ serial numbers apart, but have the same date code. So for example Model 81 #10014 and 15572 were built in the same month and year (June, 1941) though by serial number they should be years apart.

Another example:
Model 81 # 9993 built June, 1942
Model 81 # 10056 built June, 1940
Model 81# 15787, built January, 1942

So technically, 10056 is the earliest gun because it was built before both 9993 and 15787. And 15787 is an earlier built gun than 9993 even though they're 5,794 serial numbers apart!

Your gun dated March, 1937 is a VERY late gun! Perhaps we need a thread with the "Latest Date Code" to represent the last guns that left the factory.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

Cam:

I've got 9992 police mag. So you know who's got 9993 police rifle?

Jim
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

My main point that I was trying to get across with S/N: 69551 was that the two serial numbers on the butt stock shows that Remington did use older parts to build rifles for the final run of model 8's. Which means that 69929 could be correct with the mismatched serial numbers on various parts. It could have left the factory that way. We will never know.

One thing I do not like about this forum is that someone like Jim8008 can jump in and change the subject to police magazines. That should have been a new post or whatever. I have seen this happen too many times and the original subject changed to something completely not related and continues with the new subject matter and never goes back to the original subject. No offense Jim. I am just saying that changing the subject destroys the original thread. Oh, but that is the way most verbal conversation go also.

We still have not heard from Jack or Corey on 69551 and the butt stock having two serial numbers. Have any of you seen a part with two serial numbers?

ROB
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Rob,
I agree with you in principle; while we diverge from topic at times it is courteous to return to the main discussion. However, I also support minor side tracks in our forum. It makes for a very active and cool chat. I see other forums that languish for months or years without any comments; they wish they had our activity :D

I have personally done exactly what drives you crazy, then came back and offered to open a new thread, with apologies.
I think it is Great how we make members feel at home and encourage activity and Pics. Keep It Up.
Phyrbird
SOKY
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Phyrbird,

I appreciate your comments and I know that many times the subject can be changed to something more interesting. I do like the diversity. We are a good supporting group sharing information about a common love.

I feel like I have beat this dead horse long enough and it is time to move on to a new subject. My problem is that I don't have any police magazines and probably will never be able to afford any. But, I am interested in what others may say.

Let's move on.

rob
81police

Post by 81police »

ROB, I wouldn't be surprised if mismatched parts were used in assembling late rifles, but as you said it's one thing we may never know with certainty.

But my main point was this, the age of these guns is better determined by the date code (when present) not the serial number as my examples above illustrate.

It would be cool to someday see a Model 8 stamped 70,000, we're getting pretty close!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Here is another good example of what Cam has explained.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =493246424
This rifle has a higher serial number of 69782 than my 69551 but has a barrel date code of "CE" (April 1936) and mine is "AF" (March 1937). Therefore 231 serial numbers diferent and shipped 11months apart in the wrong dirrection. Go figure. Maybe barrel date codes are the way to go instead of serial numbers. Notice that I think it is odd that the rifle on GunBroker would have a bottom tang butt plate on a last series of rifles shipped. I still think that I am right in that Remington would ship anything with an order during the great depression.

Be safe and enjoy life.

ROB
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

It is a long thread, but I think is worth the read or reread.

Concerning all the serial numbered parts on this rifle. I don't know why I did not think of this before. I think Remington had enough parts to build a rifle except for the receiver. The receiver was manufactured to use all the other parts because the threaded boss brazed to the upper tang is in the correct place and angle to accept the tang screw for a semi-pistol grip stock. This is NOT the angle and position that the boss would have if it were made for a straight stock.

I still think the rifle is exactly the way it was shipped from the factory. I just can't think that an individual would use three to four rifles to make one and then replace the threaded boss on the upper tang to accept the correct tang screw for the stock.

Any new thoughts or comments.

Yes, I still have the rifle.

ROB