Bought A 1926 Remington Model 8 At OGCA

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
dalbert

Bought A 1926 Remington Model 8 At OGCA

Post by dalbert »

All,

This is my first post here. You might know me from other boards.

I went to OGCA on Saturday, but left without spending a penny at the show. I decided that I'd go back on Sunday, because I'd examined 4 Remington Model 8's at good prices, all on one table, and decided I had to have one. Well, there was one left when I went back, and it was still a decent one, at a decent price. I paid $320. It's no collectors item, but I like it a lot, and plan to shoot it. The bore is excellent, and the only drawback is that it is drilled and tapped for a scope, but all scope mounting holes have fill screws. I love the weight of it, and how it points. The fact that Frank Hamer used one to kill Bonnie and Clyde gives it a law enforcement historical aspect that intrigues me.

They don't make rifles like these anymore. The fact that John Browning designed it, and hunted with it also makes it a desirable firearm model for me to add to my collection. Mine was made in June, 1926, and is in .35 Remington. It has a Marbles-Sheard gold dot front sight.

I have a feeling this will not be the last one that I purchase.

Anyway, I thought I'd post some photos for comment. How did I do?

Thanks!

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
David Albert
Past President, The American Thompson Association, NRA/ASAC/OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA, Small Arms Review Magazine Writer, Co-Author, "Thompson Manuals, Catalogs, & Other Paper Items," Other Author of "The Ultimate Thompson Book"
imfuncity

Re: Bought A 1926 Remington Model 8 At OGCA

Post by imfuncity »

Four at one table... now we know where they have been hiding! Ye-ole-gunshow-be-back scenario, been there done that (one of my better ideas, my impulse buys rarely are worth mentioning).

Indeed, you "done good" - been awhile since seen one that nice at that price. Welcome to the humpback disease.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

I think you did great dalbert :D I feel the same way about Frank Hamer's (and other Rangers) use of these guns, it adds intrigue to them. We're glad to have you here on the site.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
dalbert

Post by dalbert »

Thanks for the kind words. I'm very happy with my purchase. Incidentally, all four Model 8's at OGCA had asking prices between $325 and $375. The lowest serial number was in the 15K range, and the highest was in the 61K range. Mine is in the 51K range. I was surprised to see 4 of them together, and in hindsight, I wish I had bought them all. One person bought the other 3.

It's possible that prices for these in Ohio is lower than the national average, because Model 8's are generally considered hunting rifles, and we can't hunt with high-powered rifles here. Blackpowder guns, shotguns, and bows are the hunting tools that are allowed. This is much different than what I became accustomed to in Texas, and you can definitely see the difference in numbers of hunting rifles for sale here, versus the number seen in Texas.

I think I'll shoot this one, then maybe look for one in a higher grade of condition.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
Past President, The American Thompson Association, NRA/ASAC/OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA, Small Arms Review Magazine Writer, Co-Author, "Thompson Manuals, Catalogs, & Other Paper Items," Other Author of "The Ultimate Thompson Book"
Roger

Post by Roger »

Dalbert-welcome to the M-8 forum. I'm sure you would have been OK buying those other 3 m-8 s for those prices. I wish we saw more of them here in Iowa. Prices in Iowa are definitely higher.We see very few Rem. 8 s. Your new rifle looks good,have fun with it. But i'm warning you, they're addictive!!
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
dalbert

Post by dalbert »

I finally shot my Model 8 for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I like it! Someone told me they recoil stoutly in .35 Remington, but it was pretty comfortable for me. I definitely want to put some more rounds downrange with this rifle.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Thanks for the update David! Do you plan to hunt with this rifle? Since 2012 have you added any others to the collection?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
dalbert

Post by dalbert »

81police wrote:Thanks for the update David! Do you plan to hunt with this rifle? Since 2012 have you added any others to the collection?
81police,

I've looked at every Model 8 I've seen at shows, but haven't purchased another one yet. I saw one for $375 several moths ago, but it wasn't anything better than mine. I'd like to get one in much nicer condition, or a different grade. I don't have any immediate plans to hunt with it, but am open to the possibility. A friend of mine has an 81 in .300 Savage that he took a deer with last year. He was there when I shot my Model 8.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com