BARREL WRENCH

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
outinthesticks

BARREL WRENCH

Post by outinthesticks »

I THOUGHT I SAW AN ARTICLE ON THIS SIGHT ON FABRICATING A BARREL SHROUD/NUT WRENCH LIKE THE ORIGINAL. WHERE THE *.%)#@
DID IT GO?
81police

Re: BARREL WRENCH

Post by 81police »

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
outinthesticks

Post by outinthesticks »

THANKS A MILLION 81 POLICE!
ALL I NEED NOW IS $100,000.00 IN TOOLING AND ABOUT A THOUSAND HOURS AND
I'M "GOOD TO GO!".
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

If the barrel wrench is not readily available, what are people using in its place? I would hope there is something available other than a pipe wrench and vise grips!!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

I recall seeing an article about the barrel wrench in a manual about dis-assembly of the Model 8. If someone can get me the dimensions of the wrench or an acurrate facsimile of the wrench, I have someone that can fabricate a model and I would make it available, unlike the fellow in the other article. While his is nice and I am sure that tooling is excellent, It is not that expensive to get one fabricated.
81police

Post by 81police »

jack1653 wrote:I recall seeing an article about the barrel wrench in a manual about dis-assembly of the Model 8. If someone can get me the dimensions of the wrench or an acurrate facsimile of the wrench, I have someone that can fabricate a model and I would make it available, unlike the fellow in the other article. While his is nice and I am sure that tooling is excellent, It is not that expensive to get one fabricated.
Jack,

Thanks for the inquiry; my wrenches were never made with the intention of production for a profit, they were only to recreate a piece of history out of a very rare Model 8 spanner wrench. Stamping would have been the cost efficient method (as the originals were) but that was not my agreement with the owner of the wrench. He was gracious enough to let me borrow the wrench to recreate the exact dimensions and a handful of reproductions.

I've posted this a few times, if anyone wants a very affordable modern spanner wrench that is compatible with Model 8/81's then Winchester's Winchoke Spanner is ideal. Hope this helps!

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... es/6130019
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

police81,

Thanks for the reply. It was not my intention to question your decision and in fact I respect your reasoning. Having a friend take the time to re-create such an item like the "barrel wrench" is truly a labor of love and commitment.
The thing that I do not like about the Winchester is the lack of the feature that is on your model. I don't know what the proper name for the feature is, but it is the "U" shape with the ears bent down.

If you are ever in a position to offer the wrench, know that I would be interested in one or the specifications for one. Thanks
81police

Post by 81police »

Jack,

the U shape ears seem to be a pretty poor design for removing the barrel jacket bushing. The originals, from what I have been told, almost always had broken ears from over-torquing. There are only a few that do not have broken ears. In fact, the sample wrench I was lent, which was in spectacular condition for its age, actually had one of it's ears bent just enough to be seen by the eye. Once under an optical comparator the over-torquing was very apparant and we ended up compensating by truing the angle in MasterCam back to the way it would have been before use. This is also why heat treated spring steel was used to surpass the strengh of the originals. I still have doubts about these reproductions sustaining lots of torque trying to remove a 100+ year old, rusted out barrel jacket bushing. A flat piece of steel fit into the two grooves would work much better.

I believe this version of the Winchoke wrench can double as a barrel jacket bushing wrench. Thanks!

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgw ... es/6130018
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Superimposed

Post by Superimposed »

I puzzled with the barrel wrench issue for a long time, secured a winchoke wrench and promptly torqued the ear off it, manufactured a spanner wrench from a grinder (fork wrench), broke that. The simple solution, with the barrel taken down from the rifle, retract the barrel (from the chamber end) and apply a piece of flat stock to fit the barrel nut slots, and twist away, righty tighty, lefty loosey. Simple, no spanner wrench needed and less chance to bugger the slots. My biggest challenge was to remove the barrel bushing. I would like to see someone mgf a sleeve and pin to unscrew the barrel bushing. On my 81, I had to put the barrel in a machine lathe, and manufacture a sleeve and use a drill bit as a pin to remove the bushing. I elongated the pin hole slightly in the process, because the sleeve was not the proper diameter. On my Model 8, the bushing was just finger tight, a pleasant surprise. Be careful when removing the barrel nut, pieces are under spring pressure, work in a small room to contain flying parts.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey,

Thanks for the additional information. Every little bit helps. I am going to spend some time this winter trying to refine this tool and see if I can come up with something that all of us Remington 8 & 81 users can use. It is just hard for me to believe that there isn't something out there that can solve our dillemna. One of the nice things about retirement is having time to work on something that isn't available or working.
81police

Post by 81police »

Thanks for the info guys. The best takedown tool i've seen is the one originally designed for the FN 1900, i'll see about uploading a picture of it later today.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

I'll be looking for that information when you post it.