Model 8 Case Color Hardening?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
remington

Model 8 Case Color Hardening?

Post by remington »

Hey Guys, Just put on layaway a Remington model 8 .35 caliber which was sent out to be color case hardening, Not sure if it went back to the factory or not, but do know that a famous Gunsmith in Maine by the name of Bill Morrison had send it out years ago to have this done. First are their many that have this done and if so how would I know if it when back to the Remington Factory?
jack1653

Re: Model 8 Case Color Hardening?

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Remington,

I would love to see pictures of this rifle!! :D

If your rifle was sent back to the factory, you should be able to tell the month and year it was sent by checking the barrel codes located on the left side of the barrel shroud just above the forearm. There should be two letters and if it was a factory returned there will be a number "3" following the barrel codes. There is a post that will tell you what the codes mean. If you can't find it, just tell us what the codes are and we will provide the rest of the information.

Regards,

jack1653
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

Could someone tell me what "case color hardening" is?
Not familiar with that term.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey mrmike,

Check this definition from Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?sea ... l%3ASearch
Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

I talked to two professional gunsmiths years ago about color case hardening a Model 8 (because I always wanted one!). I was told by both of them the receiver walls were too thin and that the heat involved could cause warping or weakening of the receiver even if it turned out looking nice. They said they would not do it due to safety concerns. Bummed me out.

If it can be done safely, I'd love to see it :)

I can't recall ever hearing or seeing paperwork indicating Remington did color case hardening Model 8/81's. Maybe somebody else has though?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Silvermino

Post by Silvermino »

Your mention of Bill Morrison brought back some memories. I lived in Bangor Maine in the mid to late 60's after getting out of the Army. I used to frequent Bills shop. My first attempt to re-assemble my first model 8 was unsuccessful so I took it to Bill. He had it back together in less than 5 minutes at no charge.

Bill had all of the machinery to build a rifle from scratch. He moved from his original location to his new shop just north of Bangor a number of years ago. I stopped in to chat with him 4 or 5 years ago. He shop was not in operation at that time but he still did work for local folks. He said he backed off on some of his work when the government passed the Gun Control act in 1968. He refused to be the police for the government.

I don't know if he is still alive. Very interesting person to talk with. He could keep you entertained for hours.
remington

Post by remington »

Hi All, and Thanks for the replies, I am headed out shooting now and don't have much time this morning, but anyway I will get back and update you on the purchase of the Case harden model 8 and post pic's when I pick her up. Also will fill you in on Bill Morrison who is still alive. Please keep information coming on this issue if anyone does anymore research or comes across pic's or articles about it, Please post, Thank you!
remington

Post by remington »

Hi, this is just a follow-up on Bill Morrison the famous gunsmith from Maine, who some may not know but this guy is very well known from the old timer's far and wide . And I can and well add to the stories of his past, What a guy! open link below.

http://www.threeriversnews.net/media.php?num=967
Last edited by remington on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks Remington, great read. Reminds me of my friend Jack, a gunsmith since he was 12, lost him just over a year ago - a week doesn't go by that I don't want to ask him a gun question and remember one of his stories. Those salt-of-the-earth guys are rapidly becoming extinct in the USA.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Silvermino

Post by Silvermino »

Remington,

I can attest to the fact that the article about Bill is spot on. His shop was indeed a "lived in" atmosphere at both his old and new locations. He is truely a unique man. I'm glad he is still with us.

The Brady gang mentioned were gangsters that had gone to a Bangor shop and orderded some guns. The authorities were tipped off and were waiting for them when they returned to pick up their order. I gun fight ensued resulting in the demise of the gang. The Bangor police had pictures of the aftermath hanging on the station wall.

As a teenager, I sold muskrat and mink pelts to Wrights Sporting Shop in Bangor.

The good old days!

Remington, did you know Bill?

John
remington

Post by remington »

Hi, Glad that someone knows and is interested in Bill Morrison anyway I do have 3 of my own stories to tell about my dealings with Bill, 1st Story: in late 60's 1967 I went to Bill Gun shop in outer Broadway Bangor, Maine. I found a new original model Mauser rifle 30/06 priced at $165.00 I asked Bill what he would sell it for, He said $165.00 so I was disappointed an spent the next 3 months going in every other week and kept asking the same question and it was alway's $165.00 so this one Saturday 3 months later I bit the bullet and grabbed it off the shelve and Bill say's to me, you are finely taken it home with you ha!. I said yep can't live with out it, he wrote it up and as I was writing the check he brought over a box of 06 ammo, military leather sling and a gun case, I said I don't have the money for them he says, will it goes with the rifle. I was so surprised I said will why didn't you tell me that 3 months ago, He just smiled and says well son that's how I do my business.

2nd Story: A year after that I went in to Bill's shop and gave him a broken part to a gun and asked if he had anything like that kicking around he just says "NO" and walks off, so I spend about 20 minutes looking around at all the guns and on my way out the door I said bye to Bill, He said hey ain't you going to take your part you asked for? I said you told me you didn't have any, He grins an says" I don't so I made one for you" Damn what a guy!

3rd Story: This one is funny but embarrassing, anyway In November 1972 I just got a new Chevy Blazer 4x4, I went Hunting by my self way out on back roads in Greenfield Me, I was getting nervous cause their was a little snow on the ground and there was a big long hill to go up, will nervously I put her in 4 wheel drive and got almost to the top of her when I looked up and coming over the hill at me was a great big Cadillac Deville that pulled over to let me by, Wow I stopped to say thanks and the lady (Bill's wife) put the window down and Bill says with a grin "so fella you seen anything yet? I said nope just worried about getting stuck, aren't you I said, He smiles an goes "No We do this all the time". Wow what a guy!

Hope some of you guys enjoyed these stories?
Wayne from Maine
Silvermino

Post by Silvermino »

Remington,

I wounder if we ever crossed paths. I worked at channel 5 as a broadcast engineer from January 1966 to June 1969. Lived in Bangor. I did most of my hunting in the Dixmont area.

John
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Great stories. Love it.

And, (not to stop the stories) are we ever going to see pictures of a case color M8 receiver?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
remington

Post by remington »

Imfuncity, I will try an post some pics's tonight or by this weekend!
Silvermino: I was going ask if we might have crossed paths, anyway I grew up in Olamon and graduated from Old Town High School in 1968, and 1969 began my career in the Electrical trade working for the Dole Company in Bangor you talked about Wrights sporting goods, had you ever done business with Daken's sporting goods in downtown Bangor?
remington

Post by remington »

Hi, Been trying all nite to post pic's on this site but ain't had no luck in doing it, I can send them to anyone by email if interested or if someone can post them for me, Sorry!
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Sending you a PM with my email address, I'll get your pictures up for you - no problem.
Silvermino

Post by Silvermino »

Remington -- I probably was in Dakens a couple of times. No vivid recollection though. I didn't have a lot of spare time since I was going to school full time at EMVTI and working 40hrs a week at WABI simultaneously. My wife rarely saw me. Moved "away" in 69. I know that took away my "native Mainer" status but a guy had to do what a guy had to do.
imfuncity

Re: Model 8 Case Color Hardening? - pictures

Post by imfuncity »

And I thought I was envious of you guys with Police rifles!! :o Remington's 40th springpole is a red carpet knock-out! Drool-city! 8-)
100_2277 (2).jpg
100_2277 (2).jpg (103.14 KiB) Viewed 14462 times
100_2278 (2).jpg
100_2278 (2).jpg (201.03 KiB) Viewed 14463 times
100_2282 (2).jpg
100_2282 (2).jpg (150.89 KiB) Viewed 14463 times
100_2287 (2).jpg
100_2287 (2).jpg (191.62 KiB) Viewed 14462 times
100_2283 (2).jpg
100_2283 (2).jpg (131.59 KiB) Viewed 14463 times
100_2286 (2).jpg
100_2286 (2).jpg (134.43 KiB) Viewed 14463 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

On the other hand, maybe case-hardening beauty is a guy thing - when my wife saw me drooling I showed her the pictures she said, "Is that like a good thing?" :roll:
Silvermino

Post by Silvermino »

Wayne,

Thanks for the article about the Brady Gang. It has been years since I read an account of their goings-on in Bangor. Even though it has no mention of 8's and 81's, I have included the link to the article here for others to read. I suppose it is possible that 8's or 81's could have been used in the gun fight.

John

http://bangorinfo.com/Focus/focus_brady_gang.html
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

I have my doubt's about the above Model 8' case colors being actual heat treated CC. I also have an interest in old sidexside shotguns that were almost always case colored. The case colors are only on the surface and very fragile and wear off easily. I have seen a BUNCH of fake colors applied with a torch and chemicals including cold blue as a touch up or overall recolor. The fake CC is also very fragile and as a rule do not show the multiple colors ... red/blue/purple/straw... of real CC ... again just an opinion and I could be wrong. Dennis