Model 8 Restoration

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
model8man

Model 8 Restoration

Post by model8man »

Hello to all. I'm new to the forum and some of you may have seen the pictures of my model 8 that I posted in the new guy section. If not here she is. As you can see she's been around the block a couple of times.

The gun has been in my family for 4 generations. It has no value the way it is other sentimental value so I am thinking of having her restored

My question is can anybody here recommend to me somebody that could restore here to her original condition? I'm think' for starters it is going to need a stock, a blue job and a original forearm screw as the one that is in it is not original.

I like it to be somebody that knows and has worked on 8's before.

Thanks.

Randy
Attachments
004.JPG
004.JPG (128.34 KiB) Viewed 4372 times
003.JPG
003.JPG (113.31 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
81police

Re: Model 8 Restoration

Post by 81police »

Randy, not too many gunsmiths today have heaps of experience with Remington 8 & 81's. I'd recommend checking with local gunsmiths in your area to see if any do. A good wood guy could probably get your pistol grip back to the original profile, remove the recoil pad and install a modern reproduction Remington model 8 buttplate. These buttplates can be found for around $15-20. Having a replacement stock made or even trying to find one (especially a pistol grip!) would be expensive.

If you want to get the blueing back to original, it'll need to be slow rust blued. An acquaintance of mine specializes in slow rust blue,

http://www.oldwestgunsmith.com/gunsmith/index.htm

Hope this helps.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
model8man

Re: Model 8 Restoration

Post by model8man »

Hey,

Thanks for the lead. I will check him out.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Randy