My first Model 8!!! Original sellers pics added

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
smitsauce

My first Model 8!!! Original sellers pics added

Post by smitsauce »

Hello,

I just bought my first model 8 and was very excited about finding this website as well!!!! It is a peerless grade D Model 8 in .35 Remington!!! The serial number is 15260 and by my calculations puts it about July 1909. The receiver has about 70% original finish and the wood is sound and will clean up nicely. The cheeks on the stock are still pretty pronounced and the checkering is nicely worn from many years of hunting. It looks like it may have been ridden hard and put away wet as I imagine the barrel jacket was once pretty rusty. Unfortunately, whoever let it get this way didn't have a clue what to do and scrubbed the living sh!t out of it leaving very little finish on it :shock: ! There are also a few spots of pitting as well. The bore looks descent still and I am getting lots of mung out of her as I continue cleaning it out. It may clean up very nicely.

I paid $800.00 for her with 4 boxes of ammo. One of which is very old and looks like some of the original stuff listed in the ammo section on here. The box is in very good condition and is full of original ammo that has tarnished quite a bit turning the copper on the bullets blue and the brass very dark.

I need to find some parts that I noticed during the initial cleaning. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction:

1. The barrel nut seems to have split from the top down throught the wrench hole and continues down underneath the barrel jacket so I need one of these. I just sent an email to the guy that sells the wrench to get one from him.

2. The action spring seems to be original and not very straight anymore and thus has caused uneven wear on portions actually squaring off the spring. A replacement would be good to have as back-up.

3. The rear sight has a piece of tin placed in it and has a hole in it to make a rear peep sight. It seems to work well, but I would like an original double notched one to make it complete again.

4. I may need a recoil spring in the barrel assembly. I can't get in there until I get the spanner wrench to take it apart and clean it up.

Any help finding these parts would be most welcome. I can't wait to get her out to the range!! I will post pictures as soon as I am able to.

Pics that I was sent originally.

Cheers,

Ian
Last edited by smitsauce on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
imfuncity

Re: My first Model 8!!!

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome. Indeed, sounds like your FIRST one has some history. PIctures before and after your clean up would be great for us too. ;)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
kenhwind

Re: My first Model 8!!!

Post by kenhwind »

The parts you seem to need aren't too hard to find, but to get the correct barrel nut the gun has to be disassembled.
I've seen the sights for sale on GunBroker & ebay.

My Brother and I have a Model 8 C in .35 Remington that was my Dad's. But its addictive, we also have 3 81s.
KEN
ranman

Re: My first Model 8!!! Original sellers pics added

Post by ranman »

It is nice to see these old relics come back to life. I think you have a dandy and will have lots of fun putting lead downrange with that one. Like everyone says they are addictive. Welcome to the club. :D
remington

Post by remington »

Nice Gun Smitsauce, I originally tried for more than a month to purchase this same gun for $1,000.00 last March, but ran into slow responses from import dealers to get the rifle transferred into the states, this was originally in Canada when I was interested, So if you don't mine where and how did you end up with this? or are you a canadian? Still it was a great fine! Congratulation.
smitsauce

Post by smitsauce »

Yes, I am from Canada. I took the afternoon off of work and drove up to Tweed, ON. to look at it. That is only a 35 min. drive from my house. Ended up coming home with me. I looked up the one old box of ammo he gave me for it in the ammo section on here and it looks like it was made from 1916~1920!! Very cool. I am actually sitting here right now cleaning it more and admiring how great these are. The bore keeps looking better and better each time I scrub it out. Looks like there may be a tiny amount of pitting in the bore, but that may still be caked on crud. We will have to wait and see.

Can't wait to clean up that stock and forearm! Looks to be really soaked with gun oil and hand mung that is covering up what looks to be nice grain.

Must continue fondling and putting her to bed...

Cheers,

Ian
81police

Post by 81police »

you don't see many "D" grades that were actually used, I really like your rifle I bet it's gonna be a great shooter!

Like Kenwind said, when you finally get the barrel nut off, count the number of teeth and measure the OAL. That'll get you looking for the right one.

As for parts I'd suggest forum member 2pversters (Pete)...
prverschneider@energysolutions.com
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator