Cast Bullets?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
The Goose

Cast Bullets?

Post by The Goose »

So I just acquired a Model 8/81 (still to be determined) in .32 Rem. I am an avid boolit caster. Anyone here cast for these rifles? What has been your experience? Any recommendations?
Sarge756

Re: Cast Bullets?

Post by Sarge756 »

I`ve not tried cast bullets in an 8/81 . I do reload 30-30 and 303 Sav with cast and shoot them in Savage 99`s. I was mistaken that I thought this subject had been discussed on a past post. Search only pulled up your query, so this looks like new ground. If the cast bullet is hard enough to resist deformation as it contacts the loading ramp on the 8/81 I don`t see why it would not work. The usual attention to leading of the barrel that you are familiar with as a caster should be followed. Give it a try and let us know. Perhaps we have some other casters and reloaders that have tried it here.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
The Goose

Post by The Goose »

The Lyman manual lists #321317 and #321297 with gas checks for the .32 Rem.. It only gives 2 powders, 2400 and Unique and mentions that Unique will not cycle the Model 8/81 although the Model 8 is listed as the test rifle. I wil be reloading the .32 Rem. and would like to hear any first hand experience with cast boolits. I am sure that jacketed are a better bet.
The Goose

Post by The Goose »

Also for what it is worth I used to own a Winchester 1907 .351 self loader that shot cast boolits like a champ. Not the same rifle I know, but at least a similar category I think.
norm

Post by norm »

goose, I have reloaded cast bullets in my model 8's&81's, 30 &35 caliber. No 32 caliber yet in model 8,but model 14. In the 35 I had to get a 200 gr. cast bullet over 1600fps in order to work the action. Bullet is the RCBS 35-200 FN. Ambient temperature also affects function. First load that worked the action at 80 degrees in July was real slugish in October at 40 degrees. There is not much current data available for the 32 RR. You could use 32 Winchester Special data as a guide. I started with very low powder charges in my 35 and only single loading. As I increased charges to the point where the bolt would recoil but not lock back the bolt would start forward and jam the case mouth into the rear end of the barrel and damage it beyond reuse. So be prepared to loose a few cases.
The Goose

Post by The Goose »

Thanks for the input. Right now I am waiting on reloading dies to arrive and I have some jacketed bullets that I will load up first. I also have more brass on the way. Once I get this gun shooting I will start playing with cast bullets.
olskool

Post by olskool »

i have a 1928 8 in 32 rem. i shoot only cast. i killed a deer last season with it. i use 30 gr. of imr 4895 with a rcbs 170 gr. this thing is extreemly accurate with this combo. i use 50% ww and 50% soft lead. i clean after 10-20 shots with no leading at all.
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............