Need a Barrel Nut

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
kenhwind

Need a Barrel Nut

Post by kenhwind »

Well, looks like I mught have have made a barrel nut unservicable. Might be my fault, maybe not, doesn't matter anyhow.

Anyway we have this Model 81 and like the other three I wanted to disassemble it. Well it seems that the barrel nut would unscrew a few turns and stop; I mean stop!. Well either our improvised tool raised the threads or wether the threads were already galled the barrel nut would not come off. Until yesterday:

I got bored and took it apart. Well the inner workings of the barrel jacket needed cleaning as well as a loose barrel jacket repair. And I'm not sure it was assembled correctly as the gun functioned erradically. Well I guess that the threads ran a bit long on this barrel towards the end and during disassembly the threads got galled and so I cranked the barrel out of the barrel nut.

The barrel is OK the ruined portion of the threads are not needed and seem to run closer to the end of the barrel than on the others, an 8 & 2 81s. So I carefully filed those down and still have more than enough threads to seat the barrel nut with full thread contact except:

When I cranked the barrel and barrel nut apart I managed to flatten the threads in the barrel nut and reusing it is a bad idea. It can be saved put I'd just as soon replace it.

Anybody got a source for a barrel nut or an extra they'd like to sell for a .35 caliber Model 81?

So if you are intent on disassembling these rifles and are too stubborn (not me my Brother) to acquire the right tools don't stick something in the barrel nut hole against the barrel. But truthfully in my case those threads should not have been there.

That's a lot of typing just to ask for a barrel nut. Pre-coffee typing too!

kenwin3985@att.net
KEN
81police

Re: Need a Barrel Nut

Post by 81police »

Ken,

I've seen barrel nuts in at least 3 or 4 sizes. Henwood says the shortest overall length nut is for the 35/300 rifles and that seems to be consistent, but to be certain I'd measure the OAL and even count the number of teeth on the end. I'll compare yours to what I have and see if there's a match. If I don't have one I can recommend a couple other guys to check with.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

OK I can do that.
I removed another barrel nut from a different 81 and got the barrel all squared away. The way the barrel is threaded this looks like a problem waiting to happen.

This is the barrel nut I need:
OAL is 1 inch: 0.999
barrel nut: 38 teeth
barrel nut washer: 39 serrations

Hope that seems right.

These parts are different this other barrel nut has 40 or 41 teeth, but is 1 inch+

Thanks Cam
KEN
81police

Post by 81police »

Ken,

The two barrel nuts that I have are .9" OAL like yours but have 25 teeth, not 38.

You could always try either of the guys below,

Bob
circlebranch@cox.net

Pete
prverschneider@energysolutions.com
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Hi Cam
Thanks
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Well I pulled the barrel nuts off of the four rifles we have here. The Model 8 has the coarse teeth, the other 3, which are 81s have the fine. Two of these are the same count, the other seems to have an extra tooth.

E-mailed Bob and he does not have any at this time, and I'd like to thank him for his consideration by answering me.

Pete was going to check and see if he had one.

Well things were begining to look like a big 0, so I called Jack First and they have them. Ordered one today and hopefully it will have the fine tooth. I figured that if 3 out of 4 rifles I have, have the fine teeth it probably was more in use in the later guns.
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Well its back together. Barrel nut from Jack First arrived yesterday. Nice unused part, looked new.

I have some nice roll pins that measured 0.093, so I unscrewed the barrel jacket from the barrel jacket head and drilled out the retaining hole with a #39 (0.093) drill bit. Reassembled and then backed the jacket out several turns and applied some threadlocker, screwed together and backed out and back together to even out the threadlocker. Aligned up the holes and tapped in my pin. Cut off the extra length and smoothed that up.

Reassembled barrel and barrel jacket assembly.
KEN
81police

Post by 81police »

sounds like you're good to go then, nice work on the jacket head.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator