Buttplate replacement impact on value

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
fairbanksphil

Buttplate replacement impact on value

Post by fairbanksphil »

The subject says it all. Percentage wise, what is the negative impact of period replacements of buttplates with rubber buttpads on guns of high condition and or grade?
81police

Re: Buttplate replacement impact on value

Post by 81police »

Phil,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't how you'd calculate percentages but I can tell you any alteration of a Model 8 from its original condition generally decreases the value.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

I would agree with 81 police.
Almost anything thats considered an antique thats been fiddled with will loose
a bit of its value. That includes guns, old cars, even old coins. ( they always say
don't clean them before you try to sell them.)
A lot of folks I know get upset when they learn an old car they're thinking of buying
has been repainted. They want original everything including paint.

On the other hand however, a replacement buttplate shouldn't be that big an issue.
Its gonna have to be replaced at some point to make the gun complete.
If your selling the gun and its expected to be complete/original and you informed the buyer
about the buttplate I wouldn't think it would be that great an issue.
Just my two centavos on the matter :)
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Yeah....everyone thinks original is better....I have three old cars, and every one of them has been repainted, and the new paint is way better than the old paint. Better product, and better looking, not to mention better protection against the elements. If you are going to keep and preserve, and use anything,....cars, guns, or whatever, then you make it the way you want it to look and be. Then you use and enjoy it.

BUT, if you are going to resell something as an antique and an original, then you leave it alone. Three of my rifles and shotguns needed the wood refinished, and have had very nice refinishing jobs....they are now beautiful (not original finish) guns that I am proud to own , display, and show off. I doubt that the average off the street person would even be able to tell they have been refinished. Of course, I don't intend to ever sell any of these guns, as they are for my pleasure and use while I am alive....after that I doubt that i would care what they are worth...except to be valued by my heirs.

When considering a gun and its' condition, we look for unblemished original finishes, because that gives us a relative idea of how the gun was cared for. If we see refinishing of the wood or metal reblueing, we wonder what kind of abuse or neglect caused that to be necessary.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
fairbanksphil

Post by fairbanksphil »

The reason behind the inquiry is that I have a 1946 d grade in .300 that is in excellent shape, certainly the higher 90,s, that was fitted a long time ago with a rubber recoil pad. I an very happy to own the gun, and may even shoot it a little. I bought it right, and have regrets, but have to wonder how much of a deficit value wise that hard as rock old recoil pad is. The installation is not perfect, but obviosly done by a gunbsmith of some skill. Thanks for all your insight. Phil
fairbanksphil

Post by fairbanksphil »

should have said NO REGRETS ! Phil
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Since Remington would also ship a new 8 or 81 with a variety of butt pads... are you certain it's not factory? One collector might say it hurts the value (to him), while another would see it as "period/age appropriate" no issues, then the third just wants to use it to beat you up on the price and go away bragging about what a great buy he got.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

Phil,

It sounds like you have a very fine rifle. We'd all love to see photographs of it. ;)

One of the best things for value you could do (if the buttstock has not been shortened) is to replace the buttpad with an original, checkered aluminum buttplate. These can be found anywhere from $10-40. This is just an idea!

Here's one on gunbroker for example,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =270805774
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

If the rubber recoil pad is a detraction and is old , hard, and cracked, a replacement with an aluminum butt plate like 81police suggests would probably be an enhancement...pictures would help us be more helpful. If it was a factory original butt pad, would it have a Remington insignia on it? I would love to see that rifle. Sounds like a nice one.

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]