Barrel Sling Swivel

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
DWalt

Barrel Sling Swivel

Post by DWalt »

Does anyone make the proper sling swivel that screws into the threaded hole in the barrel jacket of the M81? I already have some sling swivels which would probably be attachable to the barrel jacket if I had the properly threaded screw for it. Would those be available? I'd guess they are probably 8-40, as so many gun screws are, but I have not (yet) attempted to determine what the factory Remington swivel thread size is.
texassako

Re: Barrel Sling Swivel

Post by texassako »

I bought one from here: http://aperturesnmore.com/ . There is a thread or 2 on here that talks about him, but I was to lazy to search just now. I sent him a message through his contact us page and we worked out the details. It is not listed on his site.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I looked at that site, but couldn't find anything about sling swivels. Maybe this week I'll remove the plug in the swing swivel hole in the jacket and measure it to see what the thread size is. All I really need is a single suitable machine screw, but I'd take a full set of swivels if I could find one.
texassako

Post by texassako »

He does not list them anymore, you have to contact him and ask for one.
81police

Post by 81police »

I have one of his on a gun and you can't tell it's not a factory front swivel.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I e-mailed him, and for anyone else that's interested, here's what he has. He can supply sling swivels in both 1" and 1.25" widths, barrel sling swivel only is $20 ppd, and both sling swivels are $30 ppd.

Just as a matter of interest - the threaded sling swivel hole in my M81 jacket is just a standard 10-32 NF size, and the engagement of the screw in the hole is just slightly more than three turns before the end of the screw touches the barrel. The 10-32 NF screw seems to be standard for all front sling swivels that have the threaded and splined bushing that mounts in wood fore ends (I have several swivel sets, and checked this). All that would actually be needed to mount any front swivel with screw into the Remington threaded jacket hole is to cut it off so that only three threads protrude. That might require threading the unthreaded part of the screw shank further up toward the swivel first. That's no trick at all to do if you have a 10-32 threading die and die holder.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

According to Henwood's book page 189: "The dummy swivel screw under the barrel jacket, for example, is a #10-36 and requires a special screw on the swivel."
KEN
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Then that information is likely incorrect. I personally tried a 10-32 screw in both of my 81s (late ones) , and it fit perfectly. It may have been true for early 81s or later 8s, as I don't have either to check. Maybe someone else should try it independently to verify.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I just checked 3 Model 81s fwd sling swivel plug screws with a thread gauge and they are 36 TPI!
They are #10-36
They will not thread into a 10-32 hexnut.
KEN