Rear blade sight removal

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
dmg4

Rear blade sight removal

Post by dmg4 »

I have a Model 8 with a Marbles tang sight. The rear blade sight interferes with the sight picture at short ranges, and I'd prefer it removed. As there is a piece inside the barrel shroud the the sight screw thread into, what's the preferred method to remove the rear sight and plug the screw holes in the barrel shroud? Did Remington ever make a part for this purpose?
Wildgoose

Re: Rear blade sight removal

Post by Wildgoose »

Here is what you are looking for. I found this one on e-bay but have also picked another up from one of the listers here. Start looking they are out there. Called a rear sight blank. You use the two mounting screws from the rear sight assembly and the blank takes up the space, its rounded on one side to match the barrel jacket contour. I have also heard of them being made from the sight itself by cutting off one end and reshaping to match the other. These days not a good option as the sights themselves are getting hard to find too.
dmg4

Re: Rear blade sight removal

Post by dmg4 »

Yes, I've since learned that Marbles made one (model 87A) for just this issue when using their sight on the model 8 Remington. I've begun to scrounge. Anyone out there have one to sell?