bolt head rotation problem

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
model63

bolt head rotation problem

Post by model63 »

:( Well I got my model 8 .30 caliber apart and fixed( i think),there was an issue with the bolt hold open, but when reassembling the barrel 1/2 and gently closing the bolt the bolt head is rotated about 90 degrees and i can't turn it back to the straight up and down position. Not wanting to force anything, i thought i'd ask here on the forum, as something tells me there is an easy way to do it and i just don't know it. Can anyone help?
81police

Re: bolt head rotation problem

Post by 81police »

If you hold the bolt 1/2 back you can use a tool (or your fingers) to rotate the bolt head forward. This happens quite often and is one of the easiest fixes.

I'll quote the manual on this one...

"If lugs on bolt do not enter slot in barrel extension, move Safety off: draw back operating handle about one inch and hold it there; then with a cartridge, screw driver, or other implement, push bolt forward until lugs on bolt are in position to enter slot in barrel extension. Generally the bolt may be pushed forward with the finger and no implement is required. Note that only when the bolt is in the forward position can the locking lugs on bolt enter the slot in the barrel extension"

Hope this helps out.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome indeed. We have all been there with the turned-bolt-panic, "honey, I just broke my new rifle!!" Indeed I'm sure there will be more. Perhaps we should start a CPF (Common Problem and Fixes) section.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

You're a genius Mitch ;) , I'll try and get on that this week. I could post a copy of the factory service manual for all to download.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
model63

Post by model63 »

:P thanks for the help. I went to bed and got up the next morning and had no issues whatsoever. Hopefully it will now pass the firing test and be ready for opening day! Great idea on the common problems and fixes post. Looking forward to it.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

At one time, and maybe still, Brownell's (a large gunsmith supply house) published a series of several books titled something like "Gunsmith Kinks" that were just compilations of various tricks that gunsmiths had submitted to Brownell's about ways to do their job easier. They covered hundreds of common gunsmith activities, such as how to remove a broken tap, how to unfreeze a frozen screw, etc., and also tricks for doing repairs for specific gun models. Maybe a format like that would work out, but concentrating on the M8/81, and maybe a few other Remingtons like the M11. Could set it up as a separate line item in the index, and just let members submit their fixes to various problems. Plus it would be a good place to put the service manual.