Remington Model 81 base search

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
duanew

Remington Model 81 base search

Post by duanew »

I am looking for a scope base to attach to my 81 Remington. My 81 has two sets of four holes each to the left side of the receiver, but these holes don't match any current lyman sight bases. Obviously, I don't want to drill any more holes and am attempting to match to original. Suggestions? Might you have a part such as this for sale?

I have enclosed an enhanced & edited photo to help further identify my needs in regards to the hole spacing for the base I am seeking.

For whatever reason the previous owner drilled two identical sets of holes. But I am trying to obtain a mount for the holes furthest away from the sights (closest to the trigger).

Measurements are as follows (using a crude measuring tape):
Outside to outside the holes span 3 1/4"
Each hole is just a little bigger than 1/8"
The 1st set of holes (those closest to the barrel) are 9/16" apart, center to center.
Same with the rear-most 2 holes.
The center holes are 2" apart, center to center.

I hope this helps.

Please refer to the enclosed photo and thanks again for any help you can provide on identifying the necessary mount.

Duane

P.S.: Does anyone know of any reasonably priced stripper clips for the .300 Savage, or are these now at an absolutely unreasonable premium. Thanks. DW
Attachments
Rem 81 - optimized, last 2 digits serial# removed - 2.jpg
Rem 81 - optimized, last 2 digits serial# removed - 2.jpg (247.23 KiB) Viewed 13993 times
81police

Re: Remington Model 81 base search

Post by 81police »

Duane,

I'm completely stumped on this one. I've never seen a hole pattern like that before. Hopefully some more knowledgeable guys in there can chime in.

As to the stripper clips, the 35/300 is what you need. They can be found in brass or steel variations. Prices are about what you've probably already seen, between $30-40 each for originals.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
duanew

Post by duanew »

Is there any company that you know of which makes aftermarket stripper clips for the 8/81?

I know that Triple-K makes aftermarket products for the Detonics Combatmaster & Automag, etc.

Any reference to a source of reliable, functional and less-pricey than collectable original stripper clips would be appreciated

Duane
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed, another new holey one!

DuaneW, you might want to read up on some of the recent posts, as we are starting a thread dedicated to scopes/mounting bases (and the dreaded hole infection!) Should be added to regularly and hopefully someone has help for you.

There also has been a lot of talk regarding stripper clips, what seems to work and what doesn't - .300 Savage is one that has options.

Welcome to the forum.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
duanew

Post by duanew »

So, being new to all of this, will my original post automatically be transferred to the new forum or should I re-post there?

Also, what workable options are available for the 300 savage in terms of stripper clips?

Thank you

Duane
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Welcome to the forum. I`ll let someone else answer the query about transfering the post. The stripper clip discussion came to an agreement that for everyday use the original stripper clips are a bit pricey. As I posted in that discussion I bought 4 of the reproduction clips offered by our friend Bob( remcrazy ) .Very reasonable price and do the job just fine.You can contact him here or email circlebranch@cox.net
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

Duane,

All subsequent posts from here on out do not require approval. Create topics and post away!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Go ahead and post here, we'll move it or copy it if it makes sense to move it to the other thread.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

For the .300, just try your typical Springfield/Mauser/7.62 NATO clip which are available and very cheap (if not free). I tried a Mauser clip, and it works after a fashion. Would help it to have "Ears" on the clip body to keep it in the receiver slot.

As I've stated, I see little purpose in having a clip, aside from the fact that it nicely holds ammo together in your pocket. I have no difficulty in single-loading rounds into the magazine. The only trick is to insert the cartridges into the magazine base-down and then flip them over, bullet end forward. Simple and quick.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Check 45guys posts, he modified standard cheap (free) 7.62 clips (I think) and had them working for the 35 & 300Sav.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Indeed the Seymour Industries .308 clips will work well if you build the ears up a bit. From left to right, .30 '06, .300, and .30 Rem.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
duanew

Post by duanew »

Thank you all for your input, now back to the main question, does anyone have insight into a base I can use on my Model 81.

Thank you

Duane
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Let me throw out an idea that I have not tried, but should work. Instead of brazing (I suppose) ears on the clip body. just take a piece of solid heavy copper wire, bend it transversely around the midpoint of the clip body (making a flat-bottomed and wide U shape), and solder it in place. It wouldn't even need silver solder, as it is not under any mechanical stress. Anyone with a soldering iron could do that.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

You would have to use silver solder, as your standard solder will not bond with the steel of the clip. You are pretty much forced to braze or silver solder.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

But I also have a great many brass Mauser clips, in addition to the 7.62 steel clips. I actually do have some type of high-strength solder (not silver solder) that seems to adhere OK on steel, and I have used it on steel. In fact, it seems to flow and wet better than regular solder on about any substrate I have used it on. It may have something to do with the flux. I have used it to solder several front sight bases onto barrels.

I think the steel 7.62 clips may be Parkerized, and that would likely have to be removed by filing or sandpaper prior to attempting soldering.

If I can find some heavy single-strand insulated copper wire, like maybe 8 or 10 gage, I'll try it on both clip types. I don't think I have any laying around.
duanew

Post by duanew »

If someone actually does some of the clip modifications discussed above, and has photos of what they have done (assuming they are effective and work well), I would appreciate seeing what you are talking about.

Please don't forget the original posted question regarding the scope base.

Thanks

Duane
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Duane, Looks like the P.S. question on the stripper clips took priority and your original question got left behind.You`ve got a real" stumper" here as Cam said. Never seen anything like this.I don`t understand how the mounts using these holes would have been operational. The ocular lens of the scope would have had to be positioned well rearward(like poking you in the eye) with the holes for the bases so far back. You have indicated that you do not want to drill any more holes and want to use these existing holes for your base.Using this premise you are going to have to use a customized base to utilize those holes.This base would have to be designed to match the contour of the receiver .With 8 screws to attach, having it be a cantilever like design to move the scope forward would not be an issue because it would be anchored well. With that accomplished ,conventional Weaver type bases and rings could be attached to the cantilever like base. I have used a base and rings designed for Rem 742,760 that are pivot style on my 81.The base itself is thin, which is what you would be looking for since the thickness of the cantilever like base you are attaching to has to be considered.Don`t want the scope sticking out there too far. Couple of questions: Your experience building scope mounts? WHAT SCOPE are you intending to use? If you will give me a few days I will use your photos and measurements and try to lay out a design for a base that might work for you.I have a junk receiver or two around here I can use as a template to design the base.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
duanew

Post by duanew »

I have enclosed the following photos that I pulled off of GunBroker.com a while back.

Please note that these are not for my rifle.

I also know that these will not work on my rifle, because the spacing is different. If it were the same, I would have simply pursued a Williams mount and would not have bothered any of you by posting this query.

I have also examined bases in various local gunstores. While the contour was correct (I believe that they were either Weaver or Lyman), the hole spacing would have fit the two end holes, but not the two holes in the middle. Unfortunately, however, these two middle holes were close enough that redrilling the base (for these two center holes) would have essentially compromised the ability of these holes to hold screws as they would have been partially drilled into (so no go in simply buying one of these and redrilling it).

I have no experience making bases, but have a drill press with a vise that I have used (with the aid of cutting oil) to enlarge a hollow-point cavity in one of my favorite Lyman molds (Goulding - 45-70).

While I appreciate any help available, please don't spend too much time on this, I simply thought that this would be the best place to ask this question (since the premise of membership is that everyone is a model 8/81 fan) and I thought the knowledge base of the membership here would be the best place to pose this question.

I realize now that this may be a rather lengthy search, until which, I may just use my peep or standard iron sights that came with my model 81.

In answer to your scope question, I would probably match this with a period appropriate scope - possibly a weaver, redfield or lyman.

Thanks again.

Duane
Attachments
81 - Williams scope mount attachment.jpg
81 - Williams scope mount attachment.jpg (46.63 KiB) Viewed 13770 times
81 - view through scope.jpg
81 - view through scope.jpg (82.49 KiB) Viewed 13770 times
81 - rear view with scope.jpg
81 - rear view with scope.jpg (75.04 KiB) Viewed 13771 times
duanew

Post by duanew »

Since three images are the maximum, here is one more I was going to add to the prior post

Duane
Attachments
Model 81 - detachable mag - Right Side Reciever.JPG
Model 81 - detachable mag - Right Side Reciever.JPG (186.92 KiB) Viewed 13769 times
duanew

Post by duanew »

Looking a little further, I just came across this photo, which looks very similar to one that would meet my requirements. It is actually an old Williams.

Without measuring it, I don't know for sure that it would work, but visually, it looks very close to me.

If anyone finds one of these for sale, please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Duane
Attachments
Side Scope Mount - 81.JPG
Side Scope Mount - 81.JPG (73.82 KiB) Viewed 13768 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"The ocular lens of the scope would have had to be positioned well rearward(like poking you in the eye) with the holes for the bases so far back." Sarge 756

I certainly don't know but perhaps this is the reason for a "second set of 4 holes" - it would seem that 4 screws could hold a mount and scope secure even with holes close together.