Help, Please! Bolt stuck forward on exc. condition Model 81

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
John F.

Help, Please! Bolt stuck forward on exc. condition Model 81

Post by John F. »

Hi, folks,
I visited the old board regularly, and then lost track of it until just recently. Perhaps someone can help with a problem I am having. I have a Rem. 81 in .30 Rem, in excellent condition. I took the barrel assembly off for the first time since purchase, and now the bolt carrier assembly is rigidly locked in the forward position. The bolt is aligned to properly enter the barrel extension, and attempting to push back/rotate the bolt head doesn't help.
The safety is off; putting it on or off doesn't help. The rifle was cocked when the bolt carrier became stuck in the forward position; dry firing it didn't make any difference. I have pulled down on the magazine follower button (release) when attempting to retract the bolt, and that doesn't help either. The only thing I can think of that I may have done to contribute to the problem in some way is to install a Marble's tang sight using the hole in the rear of the action; I've used this type of sight on a Model 8 without any problems. Removing the tang sight did not make it possible to retract the bolt.

Any help, suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated -- THANKS!!

John
John F.

Re: Help, Please! Bolt stuck forward on exc. condition Model 81

Post by John F. »

Howdy, folks,
Well, happily, a local gunsmith friend helped me figure it out. It was a simple fix, and
not Model 8/81 specific. I'd used too much blue Locktite when I installed the peep sight, and the excess glued the bolt carrier spring plunger in place. We took the buttstock off, removed the plunger/spring, and cleaned out the excess, and it works fine, now. Took the opportunity to clean/oil the innards a bit, while we were there.

Whew!! Glad it wasn't something hard/expensive to fix!! :D

John
81police

Re: Help, Please! Bolt stuck forward on exc. condition Model 81

Post by 81police »

glad you got it fixed!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator