Butt plate question

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
nhetzer

Butt plate question

Post by nhetzer »

Ok, I thought I posted this earlier but apparently not. Lets try this again....

I have a friend who just purchased his first model 8. It has what appears to be a chromed or nickel plated cresent butt plate. I figured this was something someone did to it themselves. We recently found a photo from a collection showing 8 rifles and three of them appear to have the same shiny cresent butt plate. Was this something popular at the time to have done or was this factory?
jack1653

Re: Butt plate question

Post by jack1653 »

A picture would help make the determination. My guess is if it is that shiny, someone may have buffed it out. To the best of my knowledge, there were no nickle or chrome plated butt plates. There were however many metal butt plates that were factory.

jack1653
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Please post pictures! If your friend lives in Ohio, I most likely can provide some info on that rifle....
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

If it's the same rifle I saw at the Louisville gun show a month or so ago it most definitely has a chrome butt plate.
81police

Post by 81police »

If you go to the "Gallery Page" then into the "Modern Pics" folder you will see 3 pictures of a man with an Eland cow. His Model 8 has a chromed or nickled buttplate, I have seen this rifle and I didn't think it looked factory, but it has been a while.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
nhetzer

Post by nhetzer »

My friend doesn't live in Ohio but for all intensive purposes he might as well since he lives just on the Kentucky side. And this could very well be the same rifle that was seen at Louisville because that's where he got it last weekend. I'll get him to send me some pics so I can post them.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Is it a .30 with a nice shiny blued charging handle? I sold this one to a dealer in southern Ohio a few months ago...
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

I'll bet it's the same gun. I remember it had another problem or so ??. I saw it early and thought it abit overpriced but it did change hands to another dealer ... maybe F.A.B can confirm he was with me.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Let's see, big chip in stock, missing elevator for the King rear sight, the chromed buttplate I got from the old forum member silvermino.... The list goes on and on. GREAT shooter though.
nhetzer

Post by nhetzer »

That's the gun alright. He's got $320 in it if memory serves me correct and I have to say, he's pretty happy with it for his first one. It's a solid gun and despite its flaws, they are fortunately nothing that can't be fixed. We've been looking at replacement stocks for shooting purposes but just weren't sure what to do with that butt plate. Thanks for the info all,
it's funny to see just how small of a world it can be out there when it comes to certain guns.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Take good care of her! I never would have sold it if I didn't owe my father. She doesn't need a new stock to be shootable! If you have any questions about her, let me know! viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1320&hilit=beater&s ... 73c28dd361
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Interestinger and more interestinger... speaking of a small world, July '10 it returned to 45guy in OH from behind enemy lines where it had been "stored for him" for a couple of years or so. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=654&p=2049&sid=3be ... 745d#p2049
A well traveled rifle. I too was going to do something 'bout that butt plate but.... Guess it was good to leave it on, cause he did get it for a good price.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
KConner

Post by KConner »

Hello Everyone,

I am the guy who bought the rifle everyone is talking about here. I appreciate the information please keep it coming. I am currently waiting on 30 Remington ammo from Wisconsin Cartridge Company ( www.wisconsincartridge.com ) I'll post an update from my first range day. As nhetzer told you this is my first model 8. 45guy I am guessing I may not be that far from you if you ever want to get together and shoot her again.
Attachments
model 8.JPG
model 8.JPG (179.86 KiB) Viewed 14105 times
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Holy H**l that rifle has seen the country. I bought it in Wisconsin in 2006, then it went to California, back to Ohio, and now Kentucky!
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Also check out GAD's custom cartridge for cheap ammo.
KConner

Post by KConner »

45Guy this rifle sounds like it has been all around. Thank you for the lead on GAD's. I gave them a quick look and it looks like they have a lot of good stuff. I saw they even have 7.65 French Long. About 10 years ago I went nuts looking for that stuff and finally gave up and sold the gun. Now I wish I hadn't. Great lead, thanks again. I'll keep you posted on this model 8.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Here is how it all started back in 2006...
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

I've got it's sister - and barrel/shroud/spring looked the same... I'm thinking he stored them muzzle down in a 5gal bucket of water! :roll:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

I'm thinking it was due to where they came from. If the previous owner constantly brought them in and out of his hunting cabin in northern Wisconsin, condensation inside the jacket would be a major issue.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

KConner, I just picked up another .30, so if ya'all ever want to get together for a shoot let me know!