Website suggestions POLL

Ask about your Model 8 & 81

What page would be most helpful?

identifying factory checkering? (A and C grade only)
44%
stripper clip variations
No votes
buttplate variations across the years
11%
more indepth F.N. 1900 page
11%
all of the above!
33%

Total votes: 9

81police

Website suggestions POLL

Post by 81police »

I'm wondering what might be nice additions to the site. These are some of the pages I've been considering. If y'all have any suggestions I'd be very happy to hear them!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
oldtimehockey

Re: Website suggestions POLL

Post by oldtimehockey »

The FN is really cool. Dare I say mysterious.It also may be the toughest area to collect more research on.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Any of the topics listed will be appreciated. It was hard to choose so I gave in to what is currently on my mind which is the checkering. I have just sent off a stock to be checkered like the Grade 4. Fortunately I had a Grade 4 that I could send for the pattern. I hope it turns out well.

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

oldtimehockey,

You're absolutely correct. The big part of additional information would come from examination of existing rifles; looking for differences in production across the serial numbers. As far as the history goes, I don't know much has been added since John Henwood's book.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
remington

Post by remington »

What does a grade four look like, and where did you sent it, I would love to have one done but don't have faith in gunsmiths to do anything right anymore?Thank you for the info!
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Delete
Last edited by jack1653 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi remington,

I have sent some pictures to 81police and have asked him to post them for me. They should be on the forum very soon. For information on the checkering, please email me at jack1653@att.net.

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

Here are pictures of Jack's "D" grade 8. The checkering page we're planning on making would not cover anything above a "C" or "B" grade. Those higher engraved rifles will someday (hopefully) have a page all their own :D
Attachments
jack 8 again.jpg
jack 8 again.jpg (89.18 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
another jack 8.jpg
another jack 8.jpg (94.24 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
a jack 8.jpg
a jack 8.jpg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Cam, Thanks for posting the photos.My vote was cast for the checkering.These additional photos and hopefully the ones coming will help with the layout I discussed with you awhile back.. Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

I've been thinking a page titled "what grade is my rifle?" or "Model 8 & 81 rifle grades" is the best. That way we can show with photographs what makes each grade unique and include everything from A grade to F grade. If we do it, the page would of course identify checkering pattern variations with all the grades. Now I just need some free time, haha :lol:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

I am well aware that yours truly is not the brightist bulb in the box but I can't get a selection to register on this survey, what am I doing wrong or not doing? Thanks, Jerry
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I think that a checkering page would be alot of help for some. Whereas I have a Model 8C, I also have an 81 checkered by whom? The checkering is OK, actually a pretty nice job in the Factory pattern, but does not appear to be Factory.
Considering that checkering was a Factory option for the Model 8A, and I assume 81, but isn't there a Model 81 B.
The D,E,F grades belong in there own catagory and may or may not have standard factory engraving or checkering patterns.
KEN
81police

Post by 81police »

just as an update...

the upcoming page we're doing titled "The Grades of the 8 & 81" is about halfway completed. We're going to try and show multiple examples of factory checkering on the non engraved rifles, A though C grades because this area can be very confusing. We'll also showcase a few of the engraved rifles to cover the whole grade spectrum. We think this will be good especially for those who don't have John Henwood's book as a reference. If anyone has suggestions we'd love to hear them.

Thanks y'all!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator