M8/81 Chargers

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
DWalt

M8/81 Chargers

Post by DWalt »

Just some general comments. I would like some enlightenment.

I am assuming the prices asked (and apparently received) for chargers (clips) used in the M8/81 are justified far more by collectibility considerations than for need and utility. I have never seen (except in pictures) or used a Remington M8/81 charger, and cannot imagine that they are all that useful.
First, in any typical hunting scenario, 4 or 5 shots should be more than enough, and the occasions where rapid reloading is necessary are likely very rare. The M8/81 is not a combat rifle, and I have other rifles that would fulfill that role, if ever needed, much more effectively.
Second, I don't have any problem in reloading my M81 rapidly one-round-at-a-time. The trick is to press each round into the magazine base-down, then sort of flip it forward. Works like a charm, even though likely not as rapidly as using a clip.
So, as I have no interest in becoming a clip collector, or using my M81 as an assault rifle, why else would I need one at prevailing prices? Not that I would turn one down for a couple of bucks, but for $40-50 each, no way.
Sarge756

Re: M8/81 Chargers

Post by Sarge756 »

I agree with you that an original striper clip for $40 bucks plus is high but it seems to be what the traffic will bear.As far as need, I doubt if pressed any of us could come up with a "need" for 99% of the firearms we own or will buy in the future. I passed that mark long ago with a decent 22 rifle,a reliable 12Ga,a comfortable to carry pistol and a Mod 70 in 30-06. What more would one ever need for hunting or protection. The original brass clips seem to be at a premium and are as you suggest for collector interest. I plan to build a case for one of my early model 8`s and would consider spending the $ for an original stripper clip as well as a box of vintage ammo to display in the case.
The utility of the stripper clips though not needed is a handy way to have extra rounds at hand rather than rattling around in your pocket when hunting with an 8/81. There are alternatives to the original brass clips.One of our own, "remcrazy" lists them(reproductions) on GB and they are both reasonably priced and function perfectly. I bought four of them and have no complaints.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

I think to understand you have to put your mindset back in 1906. Three years prior the U.S. had just adopted the stripper clip fed 03 Springfield. I'm sure the proven nature of this platform added to the market appeal of the Remington Autoloader. That's just my guess, it was a system that was already well established (in foreign rifles as well), proven, and it worked for the military so why not for the hunter. John Henwood even says in his book, "when first introduced they must have been more of a sales feature or a novelty than a practical accessory". This may have been true but regardless, demand must have kept them going since Remington manufactured these cartridge clips right up until the end of Model 81 production in 1950.

I'd guess the prices have to do with the scarcity of the clips. No doubt they can be easily lost, how many do you think were accidentally dropped on the ground afield?

In case you haven't seen already, I posted a video of me shooting a Model 8 using a stripper clip (only did 3 rounds on this one). I'm not lighting fast with them either, but you get the idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgczA5W-9b4

For me personally I think the cartridge clips are cool and fun to use just because that's how John Browning designed them. Without question loading one is faster and easier with a clip than without. Do you really need them? It's like Sarge said, hard to say we "need" much of this stuff.

Now I'm with you Dwalt, the price of these cartridge clips have become skyhigh! Great post by the way!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Agree all around, like the vid.

I don't have any clips and I have banged up my thumb a few times pushing the rounds down far enough. Thus, at a reasonable price, the clips would be a "need". :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

While certainly not practical, there is a market out there for them. A certain firearms company approached an individual I know to produce some. So apparently there are people who want them for some unknown reason.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
81police

Post by 81police »

The clips in 1906 cost .10 cents each. I used an inflation calculator and that's roughly $2.70 today. I wonder if you could still buy them for that price if they'd be a little more practical, lol.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

If the 6.8mm Remington SPC were ever to catch on as a military caliber (doubtful) it would almost certainly have chargers available. Those would be perfect for .25, .30, and .32 Rem. I don't know of any 6.8 chargers now being made, but I could be wrong. 6.8 would also be a fine caliber for the M8/81 if anyone out there would like to make up barrels chambered for it.

By the way, with the Army's upcoming trials for a new carbine to replace the M4A1, there may be some submissions in 6.8mm (and also 6.5 Grendel). I'm not holding my breath.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Another question - Not that I think it is necessarily a good idea, but will a common Mauser/Springfield charger work properly in a .300 Savage M81? No question that the .300 Savage case will fit into the charger OK, as the case head size of the .300 is the same as the .30-'06 and 8X57mm, but I have not tried it for functionality.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

The ears on the .308/.30 '06 strippers are a bit anemic. Also, you may have to remove a tiny bit of material to have smooth functioning. See thread in General.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

While I'll admit that the Model 8 /81 charging clips are a bit over priced, so is a gallon of gasoline and a pack of cigarettes. Having made a .308 charging clip work (sort of) for the .35 Rem., we bit the bullet and bought 4 when they were offered to the members here.

As far as I can tell they that work quite well, and I'd be reluctant to critize them unless I had actually used them, as they do make loading these rifles a bit easier. They do hold the .300 Savage more positively than the .35.
KEN