Reloading Hand Tools

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
jack1653

Reloading Hand Tools

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Fellas,

I am trying to find out if there are any hand reloading tools out there that were made for the Remington .30 and .32 calibers. :?: A gentleman in Minnesota found a reloading tool at a gun show and purchased it. He made the tool available to me. :o It is an Ideal No. 10 Double Adjustable. It has 8 pieces in the set and is stamped "25-35 Rem. Auto." I would like to purchase two additional hand reloading tools for the .30 and .32. They would not have to be the Ideal model. In fact, it might be neat to have a couple other variations.

I am not going to be using the tools for reloading as I know nothing about reloading. The tools are a part of a project that I am working on about the early model 8 Remington and some of the accessories that may have been used in those early years. The tools along with some finished cartridges will be put in the project.

The other items that I would like to find would be a bullet mold for all three calibers; .25, .30 and .32. Again I do not plan on casting my own bullets because I wouldn't know what to do. I think it would be a neat accessory to go along with the reloading tool. 8-)

I will send some pictures of the Ideal tool to "imfuncity" to post for me. I will be looking forward to your comments and suggestions. :D Thank you in advance for your assitance.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Re: Reloading Hand Tools

Post by imfuncity »

Here's your pics Jack; cool find, who'd thot?
25-35 Rem Auto Ideal $57 4x.jpg
25-35 Rem Auto Ideal $57 4x.jpg (70.52 KiB) Viewed 10230 times
25 rem auto 4x.jpg
25 rem auto 4x.jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 10232 times
25-35 Rem 4x.jpg
25-35 Rem 4x.jpg (43.47 KiB) Viewed 10231 times
25-35 Rem Auto Ideal 4xsm.jpg
25-35 Rem Auto Ideal 4xsm.jpg (14.09 KiB) Viewed 10231 times
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Depends on just how old you want the tools to be. The Lyman 310 "Nutcracker" tong tool is more modern and has much the same appearance as the antique tools shown, however it is made of cast aluminum, not steel. They are common on the used market, as are the dies which screw into the tong tool. I am sure there are a great many Lyman tools and die sets listed on eBay, Gunbroker, etc. By the way, as these tools neck size only, the more common .30-30 and .32 WS dies would work equally well for .30 and .32 Remington cases, as the latter are essentially rimless versions of the former.

Regarding bullet molds, the .32 WS and .30 Rem were probably not reloaded too much with lead bullets, as they have always been factory loaded with jacketed bullets, and most hunters would want to reload using jacketed bullets if possible. Any round nose .30 or .32 lead bullet molds would be suitable for use with the .30 and .32 Rem. You are unlikely to find bullet molds made and marked specifically for these calibers. However, if you want a mold and handle set for display only, any caliber would be OK, as the exteriors all look much the same.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Dwalt,

Thanks for the information. I will see if I can locate the items in the places you suggest. The information about the bullet molds is helpful and you are correct in stating that for display purposes it will suffice.

jack1653
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

This is what a 310 tool set looks like, from eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-Ideal-310-Ser ... 45fb597dd9

The set pictured is in .270 Winchester (and the tong is steel rather than the later ones in aluminum), but again, if you are using it purely for display, any size rifle die set would be OK, as they all look much alike. It's only by the caliber stampings on the dies that they can be distinguished. And of course the tool will accept all die calibers. The thread size on these dies is unique to the 310 tool and the Lyman Tru-line Jr. reloading press. Most conventional reloading dies are of larger diameter and have different threads.

Also on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-Ideal-310-Ser ... dZViewItem

This is a .30-30 die set for the 310 tool which could actually be used to load .30 Rem cases.

You can also probably find a plethora of bullet molds on eBay and Gunbroker.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Dwalt,

I found the tool you mentioned on Ebay. I was just about to ask if the 30-30 Winchester would work for the Remington .30. You answered that question so I am going to try and get it. Thanks for your assistance.

Regards.

Jack
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Jack
Try the 310 Shop, he bought some 310 dies I listed on eBay:
http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm
KEN
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the information. I have sent an email to Rick to see if he can help me get what I need.

I held off purchasing the dies on Ebay at this time because the nomenclature on the dies did not reflect the correct caliber. They would do in a pinch, but I would rather the dies relflect the correct caliber. Others may not know the difference, but I would.

Regards,

Jack
norm

Post by norm »

The Lyman 310 tools are fascinating at least to me. Most of the dies are not marked with the caliber just a two or three digit code. For those interested here are the code numbers for the Remington Rimless. 25 cal. Adapter die-6,priming chamber-15,muzzleresizer or double adjustable chamber-133,seating screw-325. For 35 cal. adapter die-5,priming chamber-20,muzzle resizer ordouble adjustable chamber-128, seating screw-315. The Lyman Handbook #39 I'm using doesn"t list the 30 or 32. When I get home and check my other manuals I"ll post that information. Lyman terminology is a bit confusing to modern handloaders. Chamber is a die so double adjustable chamber is the seating and crimping die. The adapter die for the later light alloy or aluminum handle screws into the handle so one set of handles can be used for any caliber by changing the adapter die. The early steel handles are specific to each cartridge head size. 30-06 can be used for 270 or 300 Savage or any case based on 30-06 head size. Lyman lists handles in two sizes large and small. This refers to the height of the boss the die screws into. Small for short cartridge cases such as 218 Bee and most pistol cartridges. Large is for rifle length cases and would be used for all the Remingtron Rimless cases.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

In my 1962 First Edition of Handloader's digest, there is a table of Lyman 310 dies (and other Lyman dies) available. The table provides no die product designation numbers but it does indicate that .25-35, .30-30, and 32 WS 310 die sets can be used for the corresponding three Remington calibers (.25, .30, and .32 Rem).

Makes sense, as the 310 series of dies do neck sizing only (at least in bottlenecked rifle calibers), therefore no need to have different dies, as the Winchester and Remington cases are essentially identical except for one being rimmed and the other rimless with only a slight difference in shoulder slope angles. Bullet seating dies would also be identical for Remington and Winchester calibers. I don't know about 310 priming dies, but that's not a real issue, as priming can be done with a suitable diameter steel rod and a hammer on a flat surface if need be.

As I have previously stated elsewhere, I use the .30-30 conventional press (7/8 X 14) die set for loading .30 Remington cases, with no problems. I just back off the full length sizing die slightly (about 0.01") from the shell holder to preserve the .30 Remington shoulder angle. Obviously, different shell holders for your press are needed for rimmed and rimless calibers.
norm

Post by norm »

I found the numbers for Lyman 310 dies for 30 and 32 Remington. 30 caliber adapter die is #16 and muzzle resizer is #128 same as the 30-30. 32 caliber adapter is also #16 and muzzle resizer is#97 same as 32 Winchester Special. Double adjustable chamber for 30 caliber is#13 and for 32 caliber is#97. Priming chamber for the 30 and 32 caliber is the same as for the 25 caliber #15. Bullet moulds Ideal257325 for the 25 caliber,321317 for the 32 caliber and 358315 for the 35 caliber. I could not find any specific bullet design listed for the 30 caliber but Lyman #311291 for the 30-30 will work very well. I am what Mike Venturino refered to as a handloading loony and I have used the Lyman 310 tools quite abit so I"ll pass on some observations for anybody who plans to actually use them. The set screw in the die lock ring tends to burr up the fine threads on the die body. To avoid this remove the set screw and drop a #8 lead shot in the hole,put the set screw back in and tighten down. the lock ring stays and the threads don't get damaged. When you need to readjust the lock ring loosen the set screw rap the lock ring on the set screw to loosen the lead. Also the dies for Lyman Tru-Line JR press are interchangeable with 310 dies with one exception. Some muzzle resizer and decapping dies for the Tru-Line also have an expander ball and if you accidently install one of these in the 310 handles the extractor hook in the 310 handle swings away from the cartridge head and won't pull the case over the expander ball. I found this out the hard way and ended up sawing the head off the cartridge case and disassembling the die to get the case body out of the die.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey norm,

Thanks for the information on the reloading. I know absolutely nothing about reloading and what is involved. My interest stems from putting a project together that will include the Ideal No. 10 for the Remington 25-35. I want the project to include the correct tools (?) for the 30 and 32 calibers. The information you have provided should allow this novice to get the correct components for the project. The last thing I want to do is present a vintage rifle and the accessories and have someone step up and say that I have the wrong components in the project. It appears that all I have to do now is find the corresponding pieces that you have identified in your post. I guess I'll start with E-Bay and go from there. Another member provided a link for the Lyman 310, but I didn't know what to ask for so I was not able to get what I needed. Perhaps they will be more helpful now that I know what to ask for.

This may be a dumb question, but will the dies for the 30 and 32 calbers from the Lyman 310 work with the handle of the Ideal No. 10 that I presently own? If they will, it would mean that I do not need the two extra handles.

If I run into trouble finding the pieces, I may get back in touch with you to see if you can help me find what I need. Thanks again norm.

Regards,

jack1653
norm

Post by norm »

Jack, My drill sargeant told us that the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked . Yes the 310 dies will fit the handles pictured. Norm
norm

Post by norm »

Jack, I've been admiring the pictures of your no.10 tool AGAIN and I'm turning green again. I've been looking at those older Ideal tools at gun shows for 20 years and have never seen one with the powder scoop or as it was called back in the day a charge cup. Is it stamped with a charge weight and powder type? The pin in the handle that enters a hole in the opposite handle is for sizing cast bullets. Back then cast bullets were lubed in a shallow pan or lubed with the fingers before sizing. Process is a bit messy but works. Modern lubesizers are a lot more convenient. Incidentally the correct mold for the 25 Remington is a gas check design altho plain base bullet could be used in light loads.