Remington's bring BIG money!

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
81police

Remington's bring BIG money!

Post by 81police »

For those of you who didn't catch the Rock Island Auction today, quite a few Model 8 & 81's sold for some high prices :shock: Here's a brief rundown of some highlights.

Two Model 8 "F" grades sold for $9,560 and $8,962

A gold inlayed FN 1900 - $4,250

A standard FN 1900 with barrel rib - $1,600

A Peace Officers' Equipment Model 8 with 15 round magazine - $3,500

A "Special Police" Model 81 with 15 round magazine - $4,250

A single Peace Officers' Equipment Co. 15 round Model 8 MAGAZINE ONLY - $1,100

A single "Special Police" Model 81 15 round MAGAZINE ONLY - $1,100

A Model 8 "D" grade - $2,750
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Re: Remington's bring BIG money!

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks for the report. Nice to have a general idea what the upper end stuff is going for.

GB and others indicate that they are going up across the board - I may have to start treating mine nicer. (Like the grandfather said, "If I known that his Dad was going to have such great grand-kids I'd have treated his Dad nicer.") :o
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Howdy,

Once Cam told me how to get on the website I was ready to go. Thanks Cam for helping me get on line.

I watched this auction and had submitted bids on eleven items. I was amazed at the prices. What Cam never mentioned was the Buyers Premium that was added to the sale price if you were successful over the internet. That was an additional 19.5%. It is bad enough to pay high prices for these rifles, but when you add an addition 20%, it is no longer a bargain in my opinion. There were a total of 22 Remington 8 and 81's sold, two magazines and two FN's. This was a very nice collection all owned by one gentleman. He also had an additional 50 guns that were sold in this auction.

The bad news is that I wasn't bold enough to pay what I thought to be high end prices so I wasn't able to add anything to the collection. The good news is that I am going to do a re-appraisal of the Remington's I have and enjoy the appreciation of my collection. "Jackitis" avoided me today, but I have to admit it was very tempting. Save one purchase in March, I haven't bought anything substantial since last December.

Regards,

jack1653
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Well, I crapped out on the 3 lots I bid on too. I submitted my bids by phone a couple days ago and lost an item for the same high bid I offered to a floor bidder ... what's up with that ???. Dennis
kaintuck

Post by kaintuck »

i'll trade mine for LP gas or gasoline.....money is no good anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!
"do something kind today"
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Cam!

I would like to thank you for the information on this auction. I reviewed the items related to the Remington Model 8's & 81's long in advance prior to the auction start date and admit drooling over a few of them. I carefully read the auctions terms, conditions, fees etc. and found that after all the added expenses any item that may have been a potential bargain (obviously there were no bargains as such) would have been ridiculously high for the majority of us. Therefore, I chose not to participate and get myslf buried in a cost I couldn't afford in the end. Thanks for posting the updated information, very informative!

Remcrazy

quote="81police"]For those of you who didn't catch the Rock Island Auction today, quite a few Model 8 & 81's sold for some high prices :shock: Here's a brief rundown of some highlights.

Two Model 8 "F" grades sold for $9,560 and $8,962

A gold inlayed FN 1900 - $4,250

A standard FN 1900 with barrel rib - $1,600

A Peace Officers' Equipment Model 8 with 15 round magazine - $3,500

A "Special Police" Model 81 with 15 round magazine - $4,250

A single Peace Officers' Equipment Co. 15 round Model 8 MAGAZINE ONLY - $1,100

A single "Special Police" Model 81 15 round MAGAZINE ONLY - $1,100

A Model 8 "D" grade - $2,750[/quote]
Joe Kent

Post by Joe Kent »

I must say, that I am not surprised at what the High Grades brought, but I would have thought that the police guns would have brought more based on what they have been selling for from the various dealers when they show up. Also, I am really surprised at how much the loose mags went for. I wonder how many Police guns might be out there with no mags. to justify buying one for $1100. plus buyer's additional fee. None the less, neat guns that you do not often see for sale. I fear we are "losing" the "sleeper status" of our 8's and 81's.
remcrazy

Re: Police/Prison Guns, Magazines and Their Rising Values

Post by remcrazy »

The Police Gun magazine high prices are certainly getting outrageous, making it more difficult for the average collector to own one. According to my research, understanding and information from a number of Police Gun owners, the Police Guns originally came with three magazines each. I received information from one owner that stated he had one with three mags stamped #1, #2 & #3 and serial numbered to the rifle. I cannot prove this theory but, makes sense in that a Police Department or Prison Facility would require more than one magazine for each rifle; especially in case of loss or damage.

Over the years, collectors that have aquired Police Guns with more than one magazine have possibly decided to sell off their spares to get funding for another purchase or wanting extra cash for other things. Also, the possibility that an existing Police Gun may have been lost, stolen or destroyed and the magazines getting back into circulation some how. In any event, my reasoning for the few magazines that may periodically surface. I'm sure there are a number of magazines and rifles that none of us ever see or hear about that are carried from one collector to another in privacy.

The first Police Gun magazine I ever saw was in an auction on one of the two main firearms sites some years back. If memory serves me correctly, the final winning bid was in the neighborhood of $400 to $500. At the time, I was amazed at the high cost, not realizing just how rare they actually were. After more research, I discovered how few Police Guns and magazines were actually made. A mere handful in the overall scheme of things. Thus, I am not at all shocked by the rising prices due to their small numbers.

Unfortunately, over the years, many Police Guns have gone through a series of unavoidable steps and/or changes. These include their takedown for cleaning and inspection purposes and their respective magazines being subject to use in more than one rifle. Consequently, many Police Guns have been reassembled from a table of parts from a number of rifles in the departments arsenal. Thus, there are an unknown number of Police Guns existing with non matching parts. My research indicates, some have had their barrel assemblies, but stocks and butt plates interchanged, among other parts.

One can only imagine a departments arsenal taking these guns out of inventory for their annual inspection and cleaning, placing them on a large bench and proceeding with their takedown. All like parts going into their specific groups or piles. Once inspected and cleaned, reassembling them by grabbing the first part on the pile. Depending on time, manpower and funding available at the time, it's no wonder a number of these rifles are found mismatched.

These issues do not necessarily make the rifle wrong or incorrect but, may certainly have a bearing on their values. A rifle with consecutively matched serial numbers may hold a higher value than one that has mixed serial numbers. Condition also dictates their value as does their being complete and having their original modifications in tact.

There are Police Guns existing purchased for one States Police/Prison Facility and later sold to another, some to other states. There is an example in the portfolio section of The Great Model 8, that is stamped MNPD, Minnesota Police Department, then inscribed Nashville, TN Police Depart. One sourch informed me that The MNPD aquired these rifles first then, at a later date, traded or sold them to Nashville for service. If I have been misinformed, I hope someone more knowledgable will correct me.

My purpose here is to pass on to others what my research has uncovered for me. I hope this may be of help to others in the community in their endeavors of owning one of these unusual specimens for their collection.

Best of luck to all!
Remcrazy
81police

Post by 81police »

Great observations Remcrazy!

As far as I can tell, "MNPD" stands for Metropolitan Nashville Police Department (http://www.police.nashville.gov). This is probably the same as the Nashville, TN Police Department, unless they changed names once upon a time. A google search using both names results in the same website. Rifles from this department were ordered with 3 magazines each.

I have seen several rifles with mismatched magazines and two rifles from L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. with mismatched barrel assemblies (from another L.A. County Rifle). You're right Remcrazy, occasionally things get mismatched!

I tend to believe that Police guns did not come standard with 3 magazines. From tracking serial numbers, most Police 8 & 81 rifles came with only 1 magazine. Of course it's not uncommon to find Special Police 81 magazines without a serial number of any kind. In the picture below you'll see on a Special Police 81 magazine, if the rifle was ordered with more than one magazine, there should be a "1", "2", or "3" located where the arrow is pointing.

Hope that helps!
Attachments
MAGAZINE NUMBER.jpg
MAGAZINE NUMBER.jpg (319.5 KiB) Viewed 11169 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Good info guys, I had no idea there could be more then one per gun - duh! Makes sense though. But then again cost has always been a deciding factor, thus many departments like only got what they needed figuring they could borrow from those still in the rack, etc.

Very interesting, indeed.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Thanks to Cam, I'm now straight on the MNPD markings indicated earlier in my post. It sounded plausable at the time of my inquirey with the source but, now makes absolute sense as to what Cam states. The Police mag you show with the #3 above the serial number is the same location as my previous source described. He stated having three mags, all with the serial number in same location and #1, #2 & #3 above it just like this one. If what I was told is true, then certainly his may have come with three consecutively numbered magazines.

It amazes me as to the information handed down over the years and where some of the sources that furnished information to me earlier got it. I think the stories are sometimes fabricated to make a sale more enticing or get collectors pumped up. I have to admit, sometimes it gets me pumped up!

Just proves that there is much more to learn about some of the more illusive 8's and 81's out there. This is what makes The Great Model 8 site so valuable to us all. It enables us to contribute information and sort through it all to arrive at a plausable outcome/solution.

Cam is certainly well up/informed on the Police Guns and I'm still in my infancy as a student. As I learn, my file of information grows. Each time I see or hear something, I can revert to that information for reference. Thanks again Cam for your expertise and the great site work!

The other rifle I would love more information and detail on, is the so called "US NAVY" version. I have only heard stories and that approximately 500 were produced for the Navy Dept. They were "supposed" to have been possibly made up with removable 5 round, 10 round or 15 round magazines. The story went on to mention they were used for on board ship emergencies, mutany purposes etc. I have NO proof of any of this and only hearsay in my opinion. It was also indicated these were Model 81's and still in US Navy inventory yet, no one has produced tangible evidence as such to date that I'm aware of. Anyone know/have anything they can share?

Regards,
Remcrazy

81police wrote:Great observations Remcrazy!

As far as I can tell, "MNPD" stands for Metropolitan Nashville Police Department (http://www.police.nashville.gov). This is probably the same as the Nashville, TN Police Department, unless they changed names once upon a time. A google search using both names results in the same website. Rifles from this department were ordered with 3 magazines each.

I have seen several rifles with mismatched magazines and two rifles from L.A. County Sheriff's Dept. with mismatched barrel assemblies (from another L.A. County Rifle). You're right Remcrazy, occasionally things get mismatched!

I tend to believe that Police guns did not come standard with 3 magazines. From tracking serial numbers, most Police 8 & 81 rifles came with only 1 magazine. Of course it's not uncommon to find Special Police 81 magazines without a serial number of any kind. In the picture below you'll see on a Special Police 81 magazine, if the rifle was ordered with more than one magazine, there should be a "1", "2", or "3" located where the arrow is pointing.

Hope that helps!
81police

Post by 81police »

The only evidence I've seen is a still photograph taken from a History Channel documentary. I'll make a new topic about the U.S. Navy rifles and repost the picture! Maybe we can all learn something.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

Cam,

Fantastic! It would be super to get information on these so called "US Navy" rifles. There are so many unanswered questions remaining. Seems like a life times work to muddle through it all. The history and background on the Remington Model 8's and 81's keeps getting better and more interesting as we go! Great to have a group of folks come together and contribute. The more we spread the word, the more information and pictures may surface!

Best always,
Remcrazy
81police wrote:The only evidence I've seen is a still photograph taken from a History Channel documentary. I'll make a new topic about the U.S. Navy rifles and repost the picture! Maybe we can all learn something.