81 barrel nut off...........

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
kaintuck

81 barrel nut off...........

Post by kaintuck »

I got a spanner wrench, and the barrel nut un-screwed easy enuff...but the barrel won't "drop-out'....it still has a strong recoil spring pulling it back into the barrel shroud.......what gives???
marc

looked at the 8 dis-assembly info again.....looked at the barrel again....my barrel just springs back.........i need a x-ray machine!!!!!!!!

anybody know what to do next? :|
"do something kind today"
remcrazy

Re: 81 barrel nut off...........

Post by remcrazy »

Dear Kaintuck,

Once the barrel nut is removed, there is nothing else that holds the barrel tube in the shroud. Sometimes they do/will hang up and feel like they're still under spring tension! Re-check the top of the barrel at the threads. Try to look inside as best you can, pulling on the barrel tube from the breech block to see what if anything it may be catching on. Sometimes it's just a simple matter of the threads catching on the washer inside. It may be too that the washer has rusted/frozen fast to the end of the barrel just behind the threads. The main spring, and other internals, can also rust/freeze to the barrel! Again, you need to work this and use penetrating lube to help loosen/break free.

Spray a generous portion of penetrating lube down inside to help loosen the area. The barrel tube should release from the back end of the shroud at the breech. I have had this happen a few times and have always gotten the barrel to release without much difficulty. Sometimes you have to play with it pulling and releasing the barrel, even turning the barrel within the shroud, until it breaks free. Never let it snap back though, you may damage the metal or pinch you hand/fingers. Believe me, it smarts!

Did you loosen the barrel bushing first, prior to removing the barrel nut? If you have the spanner wrench, please read the posting for takedown proceedures with the spanner and/or pro tools. The barrel bushing should be loosened first but, not removed first! This is why the spanner wrench is shaped as it is with the "Y" type yoke. The barrel nut acts as the leverage point to loosen the bushing and keep the spanner in correct position. Place the spanner on/around the nut and prongs into the bushing slots and use careful, steady pressure to loosen. Otherwise, you will be free handing trying to keep the spanner in position while trying to break the bushing free. This can/will result in damage to the bushing slots and the spanner prongs! This is how the spanner wrench was designed to work.

If the bushing and/or nut will not loosen without undue force, then the wrench will not do the job for you. The wrench was never designed for undue force or abuse. Remember, it's thin metal and small tool. You will need to use the appropriate larger scale gunsmith type take down tools.

Let me know how you make out or If I can help in any other way.

Regards,
Remcrazy.
kaintuck wrote:I got a spanner wrench, and the barrel nut un-screwed easy enuff...but the barrel won't "drop-out'....it still has a strong recoil spring pulling it back into the barrel shroud.......what gives???
marc

looked at the 8 dis-assembly info again.....looked at the barrel again....my barrel just springs back.........i need a x-ray machine!!!!!!!!

anybody know what to do next? :|
kaintuck

Post by kaintuck »

thanks fella's for replys~ i will work some kroil into the barrel jacket area.....and work the barrel again......as you have told me.
it would seem i ALWAYS make a easy mole-hill project into a mountain project!
kaintuck

Post by kaintuck »

done n done....she shot just fine, the barrel DID come out, and it looks as if the buffer had 'glued' itself to the barrel....no corosion, no rust....just YEARS of sitting in a closet, made it dry and the oil glued her up but good!
she shoots to point of aim, and at 50yds, was putting them 1" apart..........guess i will want to keep this rifle around for a while....... 8-)
81police

Post by 81police »

fixed! great job kaintuck. Now you need one in .25Rem, haha.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed that old oil can become like glue. Good job.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine