Reloading

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Alan James

Reloading

Post by Alan James »

Hello herd: Haven't posted anything since I first joined a few weeks ago. Didn't have a rifle then just memories of one that I had about 40 years ago.Box was shipped Wed with two Model 8's one in 30Rem and the other 35Rem.Is there any reloading information that is for the Mdl8.Seems like almost everything is someone with a stoked up Marlin, raise dust and all the little birdies in the trees fall out of the sky.Just looking for a good range of bullet weights and powders. Thanks guys. Al in Fairbanks
Sarge756

Re: Reloading

Post by Sarge756 »

Glad that you broke the ice and jumped in with a post and also joined the rest of us addicted souls by acquiring a couple guns to start your collection. Reloading for the 30 and 35 for Mod 8`s and 81`s doesn`t have to be a mystery. I would suggest rather than searching for someone elses opinions and pet loads on the net get yourself some old reloading manuals re Lyman or Hornady and research it yourself. You will find loads that you can use without fear of them being too hot. Heck,That`s the fun of reloading.Review previous posts here and you will find some helpful discussions of bullet recommendations ,feeding problems,etc. Good luck and don`t even think that the two that you just got will be the last.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

My brother and I have my Dad's Model 8 C. He bought it when we were small, so we grew up looking at it. Anyway it is a .35 Remington. I always wanted one in .300 Savage. Well we were at a show and couldn't find just the right gotta have.

Well we were on our way to the door when we spotted some sporter, an Enfield I think, and then I noticed a Model 81. Hmm 300 Savage. No price on tag, Hmm; offered $300, but had to go $350, and considering the prices I've seen online and other 8s & 81s in shops we did good.

The extractor broke, I got lucky and acquired an unused one. Gun is functioning again.

I load for both. we've been shooting the 35 off and on for years. So I bought dies.

For the 35 I use the Hornady 200 grain Interlock SP. The 180 grain for the single shot pistol works fine too. Don't load any faster than what is needed to make the action works smoothly.

The Speer 180 works fine too, as does the Hornady RN bullets.

The 300 has a good choice of bullets. I use the 150 FMJ because these are generally less costly than the hunting bullets. Because of the short case neck I don't see much reason to use anything heavier, but I'm sure a 180 will work just fine. I was going to load some with the 168 gr Match bullet, but considered nothing would be gained. Same advice here, start with the starting load and don't go any faster than necessary to make the rifle function.

Now if I could just get my hands on a 25........
KEN
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Nothing unusual about reloading for the 8/81, just use any of the reloading manual loadings recommended for .30-30 for the .30 Remington. .30-30 and .30 Rem are essentially identical, except for the .30-30 having a rim, and the older Lyman manuals recommend using the same loadings for both. Main thing is to observe the maximum overall cartridge length (2.52"). I had very good results using 30 grains of AA2460 and a 170 grain RN bullet. Spitzer bullets over 125-130 grains won't work well in the .30 Rem because of OAL restrictions and the longer bullet nose. IMR3031 is another good powder for this caliber with 150 or 170 grain bullets, and IMR4895 or H4895 would also work OK.

I have made several previous postings over the last few months on this forum about my experiences in reloading for the .30 Rem which you may wish to read. I would not recommend using lead bullet loadings, as grouping is very poor (at least that has been my experience). I don't load the .35 Rem, but any standard published loads should work fine in the 8/81. Don't expect pinpoint accuracy results. My experience is that 3" groups at 100 yards are about as good as can be expected using iron sights. That's plenty good enough for closer-range hunting. I personally wouldn't push my luck on any shot over 150 yards with either the .30 Rem or the .35 Rem.

By the way, I use .30-30 reloading dies for the .30 Rem, but with the FL die backed off from the shell holder slightly to preserve the sharper shoulder angle of the .30 Remington case. I've had no difficulty using the .30-30 dies. I also have a posting regarding making .30 Rem brass from .30-30 cases. .30 Rem brass is available from numerous sources, and is not outlandish in price. .35 Rem ammo is still loaded and it, and brass, should be readily available.
Alan James

Post by Alan James »

Thank you one and all for the inputs. Just wasn't sure of the Mdl 8 action strength.I will do the same thing I did with 30-30's &45-70's start at the low end. Work up till the action operates every shot. Cast up some 30 & 35 heads yesterday going to try having loaded cartridges ready for the rifles when they arrive. Once again
Thank you. Al