new 81 and a function problem.......

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
kaintuck

new 81 and a function problem.......

Post by kaintuck »

Just got a 1949 81remmington in 300savage. she shoots great, no 'bubba' effects, but she won't throw the empty's out upon firing. after each shot, i rack the bolt and she will throw them clear....when i break her down, the spring action recoil of the barrel assembly seems in fine working order~ anybody have a idea?
bolt face good, extractor,good, smooth chamber.............?????????????????????
p.s.
i have a 35 81 also, a real should-buster....this gal is MUCH easier on the old shoulders.......
"do something kind today"
81police

Re: new 81 and a function problem.......

Post by 81police »

You're sure all components of the barrel assembly are intact? recoil spring? buffer spring? You may want to check the action spring located in a tube in the stock and perhaps the link attached to the bolt carrier. Just sounds like either there's no force pushing the bolt carrier rearwards or there's something preventing it from travelling.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kaintuck

Post by kaintuck »

thanks!
is there a sticky here that give instructions on take-down?
i have looked at the obvious, springs seem to function fine, bolt recoil springs etc...i don't have a spanner wrench to take the barrel apart....not really sure how it DOES come apart.........and i am not a pipe wrench fan at all!
no bubba's around here!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

If you are not a"Bubba" get in touch with Remcrazy here on the forum or go to his Gunbroker listings under Circlebranch(seller). He has the Pro-Tool on there now Item # 226076511 . I have one and it works just as advertised no pipewrench needed.
The sticky of takedown instructions are here also. Refer to previous posts re Model 8 takedown pics and find post by JONBEGOOD that has link to a great series of photos and instructions
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Guarantee that a pipe wrench (or vise grips, vise, etc.) will NOT get the barrel apart (I know you were joking ;) ) but many M8 & 81 barrel and shroud have become tomato stakes because of those handy “gunsmithing tools”. Better to reach for the BIG hammer, the out come is the same but it is so-much more satisfying! :twisted:

Cleverly, a few years ago - not having the proper tool - 45Guy ground down a correctly sized socket so that it fit into the two slots; but first you have to drill a small hole, very close to the end of the socket, for inserting the shank of a bit into the barrel nut hole, as the barrel nut must be removed first. Note: you may need to use your pipe wrench on the socket to get the barrel nut started off, or flatten opposing sides of the socket to use a wrench.

Don’t be alarmed when removing the barrel nut it sounds like you are “stripping the gears” / shearing off the teeth! That is the proper sound when the barrel nut is coming off correctly, when you get it off you will see why. :mrgreen:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
kaintuck

Post by kaintuck »

aaahh..........i fell like "grasshopper"...i will have to make me a tool~those are very nice, but i cannot get up off of another $85 right now.....
i WISH i had a close buddy around here that has had one apart, but i am the only guy with them here~ so....where's my kroil???....here we go~~~~ :geek:

and i just want to thank all here who contribute to the riles~JONBEGOOD did a great job on dissassembly instructions!!!
some cold winters day i will take both mine apart and clean...now that i see how it's done w/o a 'pipe wrench' attitude!
john browning had some strange/wonderful techniques in his pistols.....now this rifle pins and threads are puzzles also!
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

We dissasembled ours, but had sense enough to use omprovised tools that wouldn't damage anything. I'm glad we did, the Model 81 had some rust inside the barrel jacket, and my dad's Model 8 was pretty gunky inside.

We repaired a loose barrel jacket.
KEN
45guy

Post by 45guy »

A bit late to the game, but a 19mm deepwell works perfectly.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Still think this is on the the cleverist and eaiest solutins that I have ever seen.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Another easy way to remove the barrel nut is to grind down an allen wrench to fit. It's amazing what half a$$ed tools you can come up with when all you have is a bench grinder to work with....
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."