Installing new extractor

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
kenhwind

Installing new extractor

Post by kenhwind »

Well I got me an extractor from Jack First. Got lucky and received what looks like an old stock but unused one. Didn't like the price, but that's another story.

The extractor that broke the retaining lug off in our Model 81 is straight, not scalloped. My brother and I had a disagreement about that as I said that was wrong, and of course he disagreed. Well the one in the Model 8 is scalloped like I assumed it should be. The new part is straight too, and marked 35. The original is not marked.

What I'm assuming is that the extractor may be a replacement and was never fitted properly, and that is why is broke.
KEN
81police

Re: Installing new extractor

Post by 81police »

the earlier extractors as far as I can tell were straight and smooth across. The ones on late Model 8's and many 81's were scalloped like you say, though I've seen some straight too. It's been discussed before, extractors for 35 and 300 can either be unmarked or marked "35". So if one had a rifle in 300sav with the extractor marked "35" this is correct.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Kind of using the Model 8 as a guide with this Model 81 extractor fitting. Here is a picture of the three extractors:
Left to right:
L) The new/old unused one from Jack First
M) This is the brofen one out of the Model 81, retaining lug sheared off. Nice and straight with what looks like a chipped center.
R) This is the one out of the Model 8, nice generous scallop.

I'm assuming that the scalloped extractor facilitates feeding and extends the extractor life, because it looks to me that the extractor has to slip over the cartridge rim. Maybe the cartridge does slip up under the extractor, probably funtions both ways.

No firing pin springs in the Model 8, 1918 vintage. Any ideas of when Remington might have incorporated the firing pin springs in to the design?
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Well I finally got the new extractor installed and fit and functioning to my satisifaction. The biggest problem in fitting a new part to these older rifles is the fact that if you mess-up your part where do you get another.

Therefore I took my time, polished here there, fit the retaining lug to the bolt, fit the extractor to the carrier. wasn't good enough, so I had to bend it. The 1911 extractor tool worked quite well for this. Bent it fit it, had to put a slight notch in it so the cartridge would fit into the bolt; a slight scallop. Still wasn't satisfied, and the extractor was a bit proud in front.

So I bent it some more and accomplished what I was looking for. Tried to judiciously sand the part so it would move freely, finally put a file to it, file sand polish. Now that I'm finished I have a good understanding of how to do it.

Well the results seem to be good. Haven't shot it yet, but it kicks out the dummy rounds pretty good. Of course doing it manually is backwards from the way it functions when firing.

Now I need to see if we can break it again!
KEN
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Soooooooo, you going to take it out again and get a picture to show us what it looks like to make it work? :shock: (Only half kidding. :D )
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

You know I could do that, maybe later, kind of though about posting a picture but just had to put it together finally. One picture as half requested. :lol:
Front view of new extractor installed in a Model 81 .300 Savage:
KEN
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

1/2 appreciate it - when you can :D

My luck has held, nothing has broke but ... one of these days I'm gona have to get inside - and I do have a couple of extractors for that day.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Yea! I got lucky on this one as it was an unused part.
Gun Parts listed it, but that never develped, so I went to Jack First. Definitely going to keep my eye out for parts at gun shows, online, etc.

We have two of these rifles an 8C .35, and 81 .300, and like shooting them on occasion. So I would like to have a spare too.
Last edited by kenhwind on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Well we took the Model 81 out in the boondocks and fired a few rounds through it. Seems to be working just fine. Only had two factory rounds to shoot, but shot some reloads. No failures to extract or eject, seems to be working better than when we first got it.

Another thing I noticed but didn't mention is that in the older Model 8 the extractor has a longer claw and is why it has such a generous scallop.
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Got a nice surprise today. Back when the extractor broke we tried to order one from Gun Parts Corp. Well that never developed, that is until today. Came home checked the mail and a shipping envelope from GPC. My brother says "whats this, a sight". No "its a Model 8extractor"

Two months late, but at least I have a spare now.
KEN