Model 81 take down

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Gunchukar

Model 81 take down

Post by Gunchukar »

I have owned this gun over thirty years and never shot it. One day while cleaning I notice a line or thin crack 3/8 inch long on top of the breach. At the end of the line there is the number 6 stamped on the barrel. Anyone know what this means or why it's there? Any help or advise would be greatly appreiciated.
imfuncity

Re: Model 81 take down

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome to the forum.

Pictures would help.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Gunchukar

Post by Gunchukar »

Attached is the picture of issue from previous post! I hope

Gunchuckar
Last edited by Gunchukar on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81police

Post by 81police »

the picture makes it look like a cracked barrel? What looks like 1 piece is actually a 2 piece barrel assembly. The barrel screws into the barrel extension (the blocky breech part). I have no clue as to what the "6" signifies.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Count your blessings that you caught the crack in cleaning vs. firing.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Gunchukar

Post by Gunchukar »

Since this may be a two piece barrel, is it possible this could be a line up mark?. Would you have another source I can look into for reference? One gunsmith I showed this to was puzzled with no answers. You can tell I’m hoping it’s not a cracked barrel. There is no evidence of crack inside of breach area. I appreciate you comments.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Gunchukar wrote:Since this may be a two piece barrel, is it possible this could be a line up mark?. Would you have another source I can look into for reference? One gunsmith I showed this to was puzzled with no answers. You can tell I’m hoping it’s not a cracked barrel. There is no evidence of crack inside of breach area. I appreciate you comments.
Gunchukar,
If you take it to a machine shop or welding shop they may be able to dye penatrant check the indication and tell you if it is indeed a crack with some penetration into the barrel or just a surface flaw. This should not be too costly or time consuming. You may even try a local community collage that has a welding program where they offer nondistructive testing training and get it checked as well. Just a thought to find out if you have a real issue or not.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

WG, what a great idea. I'll have to keep that in mind, I know the Jr. college here has a terrific welding program.
81police

Post by 81police »

Gunchukar,

I can't remember seeing an 8 or 81 without a line up mark in that location, but just not one that long with a number.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Gunchukar

Post by Gunchukar »

Thank you all for your input. I know of a long time welder who is know for welding German Lugers for custom gun shops. I’m going to get his opinion then will let you know his comments. If in fact this is a crack and not superficial, where would one buy a new barrel? I know Remington does not have one.

Thanks men,

Gunchukar
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Seen a couple on GunBrokers over the last month - one of the places you would want to watch.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I also was going to suggest a dye penetration test, as most any machine shop should be able to do that. X-ray would also work, but that's a much more specialized test, and you are unlikely to be able to find someone doing it outside the aerospace industry. Another possibility would be to take a file to the crack to see if it is more than a surface defect. I have never seen a barrel crack like that, although I guess it would be possible.
remcrazy

Post by remcrazy »

What you are seeing are the alignment marks. The breech block and barrel screw into one another as others have stated. The marks are stamped and appear as one line , half on each part. I would not panic and I'm quite sure this is what you are seeing. These marks are all indicated on the bottom (underside) just as your pictures indicates. The number/letter after the alignment marks is the inpector or assemblers stamp indicating the work was done. I have seen this on everyone I have taken down/cleaned etc. I just checked an 8 barrel assembly I have sitting here and same thing, although I can't make out the number/letter following the line marks. Need my magnifying glass.

On occassion, these marks may appear offset, they weren't always perfect and, sometimes, due to barrel and breech block getting old and starting to wear from the hard slamming of the breech and barrel. The two halves are pinned to help eliminate them from coming apart but, quite hard to see/find the pin. Remington assembled, aligned, pinned and stamped the "lines" and then the inspectors/assemblers mark. The pin is located on the right hand side of the breech block, approximately 1/4" back from the front edge facing muzzle and approximately 3/8" up from the bottom. It's approximately 5/64" diameter, very tiny. It's dressed off flush with the side of the block so you may need a magnifying glass to find it.

Hope this helps answer some questions! If in doubt, have it checked as indicated by the other posts from all these great folks!

Regards
Remcrazy