300 Savage Large or Small Base

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Wildgoose

300 Savage Large or Small Base

Post by Wildgoose »

Hi All,
Need to buy some dies for my 300 Savage M81. Which one is best, large or small base die set?
Thanks
DWalt

Re: 300 Savage Large or Small Base

Post by DWalt »

Standard dies should be OK for the 81.

I do not have anything in .300 Sav, but I reload for an array of different semiautomatic rifles (including the M81) in many calibers and standard dies have always been completely satisfactory. Small base dies will reduce case reloading life as it works the brass more.
norm

Post by norm »

I've got several rifles chambered for 300 Savage besides a Model 81. I bought a small base die but it turned out to be unneeded. My advice is don't get a small base die unless really needed. When you get to gun shows look for a Lyman hand die which is a true full length sizing die. It will size the case all the way to the rim. Use it in an arbor press or vise or as a last resort a hammer.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

Thanks guys! I have never worried about the issue before and I do hand load for many modern and obsolete rounds. I have seen the small base dies mentioned in connection with the 300 Savage in Rem Model 8/81 rifles in a few places and wondered about it. I have never used small base dies either and had never really given it much thought. Orderd a set of Lee dies with the factory crimp die included, should be fine for what I am after. As usual this list is great place to get some quick information when little questions like this come up. ;)
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Let us know how it turns out. I have maybe 10 sets of Lee dies, both rifle and pistol, and wouldn't buy anything else unless it was for a caliber Lee does not make dies for. I received one set from Lee with a burr inside the sizing die on arrival, and they replaced it with no questions asked.
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

DWalt wrote:Let us know how it turns out. I have maybe 10 sets of Lee dies, both rifle and pistol, and wouldn't buy anything else unless it was for a caliber Lee does not make dies for. I received one set from Lee with a burr inside the sizing die on arrival, and they replaced it with no questions asked.
Didnt notice your comment until this after noon. :oops: The Lee dies worked out great. I have used them to reload about 60 rounds so far and had no issues. One interesting thing involved the Factory Crimp die that came along with them though. I have one or two other Lee die sets that these were provided with but until now had not used it. I tried it with the 300 Sav rounds and cant say it was too sucessful. I could not get what I felt was a good solid crimp even when carefully fully appling the full crimping pressure following the instructions. I went back to roll crimping but it seems this should have worked better. Every thing looked good but when I checked the bullets for a solid crimp I could rotate them just a small amout, they would not move in or out though. Not a big deal but I cant help but feel I am missing something.
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Although I am a committed user of Lee dies, I do not own or use a factory crimp die. I either don't crimp or else I use the standard roll crimp if the bullet has a crimping cannelure (e.g., .30-30). I have never had a problem with bullet looseness either way. Could be you have a neck expander button that is slightly oversize, or possibly brass with a thin neck wall. Either way, I'd suggest contacting Lee about your problem. You might also try partial neck sizing without the expander (after FL sizing and primer removal) to see if that helps.

At least with roll crimping, it's essential that you trim all of your cases to the same length before bullet seating. With an over-length case, you can sometimes crumple the case shoulder. Under-length cases will not crimp at all.